Sponsored

Is there a way to reduce turbo lag on the 2.0T?

drvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2014 JKU, 2005 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Hi, I am looking at the the Burger JB4 and the DV+ as options. After an hour of searching, I can only find occasional posts of "... seems like less lag...".
So, has anyone installed a product that has significantly reduced turbo lag on there 2.0T?
I bought the Pedal Commander. Its near instant throttle feel. Its also adjustable. Easy install. Worth every dollar.
Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Thank you for your suggestions.
I have a hard time believing that the throttle delay can be adjusted by intercepting the throttle pedal position signal. For that to be true, the throttle delay would have to be controlled by a timing circuit built into the pedal assembly. I'm not saying it ain't so, I'm saying it is hard to believe.
I'm pretty sure all the pedal commander does is tell the computer that you have pushed the pedal further than you did.
Now, back to turbo lag, because that is what I am dealing with. I know it is turbo lag because if I keep the turbo spooled I don't have any. Also, I can watch the boost pressure on a gauge and visually see the turbo lag.
Oh never mind.
+1 on not believing the throttle adjusters. I've messed with throttle mapping ECU tunes on other vehicles, but I just don't see how something between the pedal & ECU could ever change the delay that is built into the ECU tune.

Out of curiosity, what exhaust are your running? I could see how better exhaust flow could speed up the spool times (it's just a guess, don't take this as fact).

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I have a hard time believing that the throttle delay can be adjusted by intercepting the throttle pedal position signal. For that to be true, the throttle delay would have to be controlled by a timing circuit built into the pedal assembly. I'm not saying it ain't so, I'm saying it is hard to believe.
I'm pretty sure all the pedal commander does is tell the computer that you have pushed the pedal further than you did.
Go take your APP apart, they've gotten way more complicated than they used to be. Modern engine, likely has at least PWM output, maybe even a much more recent digital scheme. The old ones were dumb potentiometers subject to interference and just generally being crappy.

Pedal commander says they decrease the update interval to the PCM, the factory build checking relatively irregularly, their interval being much more often. 5k Hz instead of 50Hz. I don't know, I'm not going to go hook an oscilloscope to mine to find out. The products work. They've been pretty thoroughly reviewed and work more or less like a Mustang GT or a sport button Mini.

Doesn't change anything with the throttle, the PCM still does what it is going to do with it, but the perceived reaction from the PCM is faster.

It's a hell of a lot cheaper than swapping out engine components.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Go take your APP apart, they've gotten way more complicated than they used to be. Modern engine, likely has at least PWM output, maybe even a much more recent digital scheme. The old ones were dumb potentiometers subject to interference and just generally being crappy.

Pedal commander says they decrease the update interval to the PCM, the factory build checking relatively irregularly, their interval being much more often. 5k Hz instead of 50Hz. I don't know, I'm not going to go hook an oscilloscope to mine to find out. The products work. They've been pretty thoroughly reviewed and work more or less like a Mustang GT or a sport button Mini.

Doesn't change anything with the throttle, the PCM still does what it is going to do with it, but the perceived reaction from the PCM is faster.

It's a hell of a lot cheaper than swapping out engine components.
I'm still not convinced that it does anything more than I could do with my foot.

Also wouldn't Hz/s = Cycles per second per second? I don't even know what that means.
lighter.jpg

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Can I get a link to these swap kits?
No need for a kit. Take your 2.0T to a dealer that has a 3.6, do the paper work, pay something that's bound to be cheaper than swap kit+labor, drive out.

The supercharger isn't cheap but you can take it out when selling if you want.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
No need for a kit. Take your 2.0T to a dealer that has a 3.6, do the paper work, pay something that's bound to be cheaper than swap kit+labor, drive out.

The supercharger isn't cheap but you can take it out when selling if you want.
Stretching the limits of "on a 2.0" just a bit...

So do you have any useful input here or just trolling?

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Stretching the limits of "on a 2.0" just a bit...

So do you have any useful input here or just trolling?
If you tell an intelligent young person to one day join a prestigious university, it's not trolling.

It's only trolling if you tell the same to a homeless crack addict.

Some people here have prejudice... in the other thread when a guy was talking about swapping his JK with a JL for fuel economy, people were quick to suggest he get a cheap sedan to put in the miles and that's fine. No where that guy asked about getting a cheap sedan as a solution. But now, if someone suggests swapping the 2.0T for the 3.6, people crap their pants in anger.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
If you tell an intelligent young person to one day join a prestigious university, it's not trolling.

It's only trolling if you tell the same to a homeless crack addict.

Some people here have prejudice... in the other thread when a guy was talking about swapping his JK with a JL for fuel economy, people were quick to suggest he get a cheap sedan to put in the miles and that's fine. No where that guy asked about getting a cheap sedan as a solution. But now, if someone suggests swapping the 2.0T for the 3.6, people crap their pants in anger.
Who's angry? Me? If anything, I'm genuinely curious as to how reducing turbo lag can be so cost prohibitive that the only solution is to swap engines or the entire vehicle. One of this forum's main purposes is around modifying the JL, but when it comes to modifying the 2.0 apparently the only solution is to trade it in for anything else.

With this logic the 4-door guys that want to increase break-over angle must be wrong too, and they should just trade for a 2-door.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
If anything, I'm genuinely curious as to how reducing turbo lag can be so cost prohibitive that the only solution is to swap engines or the entire vehicle. One of this forum's main purposes is around modifying the JL, but when it comes to modifying the 2.0 apparently the only solution is to trade it in for anything else.
I did suggest three turbo swaps also. 75% of my suggestions were not the kind you're referring to.

Speaking of not seeing the whole picture... why haven't you responded to folks below?

If you want zero leg - drive EcoBoost 3.5 twin turbo explorer in Sand mode. Two smaller turbos that spool much faster and car never goes below 2.2k rpms to keep turbos always spooled (in Sand mode).
If you want zero lag, drive a Tesla.
I think soon you'll be eating your hat...

:CWL:

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I'm still not convinced that it does anything more than I could do with my foot.

Also wouldn't Hz/s = Cycles per second per second? I don't even know what that means.
Maybe they thought it would read better? I dunno... They probably didn't let the engineers do that.

Might be able to find the reference docs from the sensor manufacturer, but you'd have to find out who made the sensor (maybe these guys: https://www.microchip.com/design-centers/sensors/inductive-position-sensors).

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I did suggest three turbo swaps also. 75% of my suggestions were not the kind you're referring to.
Ah, so we're going in a circle now.

Speaking of not seeing the whole picture... why haven't you responded to folks below?
I didn't come here to argue with anyone about which vehicles that happen to have less turbo lag than the 2.0, I came here for the purpose stated in the title. As for why I responded just to you, well that was because I saw a little bit of irony in your post.