Status
Not open for further replies.

KSpider

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi E-tron (x2) ’21, Rubicon 4xe Nacho (on order)
Charging stations or E-Trons?
Eh, for EV Wranglers... E-trons don't have charging stations, they use universal stations. Tesla is the only manufacture with their own non-universal chargers. This is a free level 2 station in Moab by the park, but only one plug...

jrob529

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Eh, for EV Wranglers... E-trons don't have charging stations, they use universal stations. Tesla is the only manufacture with their own non-universal chargers. This is a free level 2 station in Moab by the park, but only one plug...
I didn't have any idea...that's why I asked- I'm new to the hybrid game. I assumed all charging stations were universal. So the stations I see throughout my hometown are most likely level 2 stations?

Sponsored

KSpider

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't have any idea...that's why I asked- I'm new to the hybrid game. I assumed all charging stations were universal. So the stations I see throughout my hometown are most likely level 2 stations?

Most stations are Level 2 (this is what you can have installed at home), which charge at a speed of about 5-10 kW. Now, we don't know how big the battery pack will be in the 4xe wrangler, but its likely a level 2 station will charge it from empty to full in a couple hours.

There are also DC Fast charging stations that range from 35kW - 350kW output. For example, my e-tron takes about 9 hours to charge from empty on a level 2 station, but on a fast charger (it can take 150kW) it goes from 0-80% in 30 minutes, this is what allows an EV to actually be used effectively outside your home area (i.e. road trip.)
I doubt the Wrangler 4xe will have fast charging capability, it isn't really needed with a PHEV.

But yes, it would pretty much work with all of the charging stations you see around town... just not the Tesla network (they use a proprietary plug.)

I know that Chargepoint has a number of free chargers spread throughout KC - I used a few of them in June. Most chargers are not free, you have to pay for electricity, but a lot of utilities or companies will put a free charger in to promote traffic/patronage or green vehicles.

Use apps like PlugShare to see what is around you!

KSpider

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most stations are Level 2 (this is what you can have installed at home), which charge at a speed of about 5-10 kW. Now, we don't know how big the battery pack will be in the 4xe wrangler, but its likely a level 2 station will charge it from empty to full in a couple hours.

There are also DC Fast charging stations that range from 35kW - 350kW output. For example, my e-tron takes about 9 hours to charge from empty on a level 2 station, but on a fast charger (it can take 150kW) it goes from 0-80% in 30 minutes, this is what allows an EV to actually be used effectively outside your home area (i.e. road trip.)
I doubt the Wrangler 4xe will have fast charging capability, it isn't really needed with a PHEV.

But yes, it would pretty much work with all of the charging stations you see around town... just not the Tesla network (they use a proprietary plug.)

I know that Chargepoint has a number of free chargers spread throughout KC - I used a few of them in June. Most chargers are not free, you have to pay for electricity, but a lot of utilities or companies will put a free charger in to promote traffic/patronage or green vehicles.

Also, don't feel like you would NEED a level 2 charger for your garage, you will be able to plug the 4xe into your regular wall outlet and it will charge, it may take 10-14 hours but if you just care about charging it overnight then that isn't a huge deal.

jrob529

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I appreciate the explanation. What level 2 charger do you have installed at home? I've heard a few mention JuiceBox and saw a decent review of it. Thanks in advance.

KSpider

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I appreciate the explanation. What level 2 charger do you have installed at home? I've heard a few mention JuiceBox and saw a decent review of it. Thanks in advance.

We have a couple JuiceBox 40 units installed. The wifi connection is great, and the scheduling works very well. For example, my electrify is super cheap between midnight and 6am, so I can plug my car in whenever, but the juicebox won't start charging my car until midnight, then it will stop at 6am if not full.

PaulwithJeep

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500, 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
:clap::clap::clap: I'll have to wait til the 3rd to confirm my order with a 2021. The Jeep sits in the garage during the week due to a 80 mile commute. This can change things ;)
I am very excited about this announcement. I drive about 22 miles to work and our Jeep dealership has charging stations so I can charge up at work. Drastically cut down on my travel costs. I will be placing my order as well as several awaiting customers the day it opens.

Sponsored

jrob529

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am very excited about this announcement. I drive about 22 miles to work and our Jeep dealership has charging stations so I can charge up at work. Drastically cut down on my travel costs. I will be placing my order as well as several awaiting customers the day it opens.
Do you think sales will open on Sep. 3 and delivery in December? What does your gut tell you?

Neos281

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Tech
Pretty sure the only “known” information is as follows...

2.0 turbo engine
Only automatic
Only unlimited models
Approximately distance of 30 miles when using electric only.

Everything I see/read seems to repeat these things. Well just have to see Come the 3rd.
Wishing there was a 2-door option.

PaulwithJeep

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500, 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Do you think sales will open on Sep. 3 and delivery in December? What does your gut tell you?
This is straight from the gut and not backed by any inside info from Jeep( For the Jeep reps that read my posts). Historically when they unveil something that we know is supposed to come out soon the ordering opens up same day. If you are interested I would reach out to someone such as myself or your local dealer as soon as the event ends.

Yolobaggins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav4
This is straight from the gut and not backed by any inside info from Jeep( For the Jeep reps that read my posts). Historically when they unveil something that we know is supposed to come out soon the ordering opens up same day. If you are interested I would reach out to someone such as myself or your local dealer as soon as the event ends.
This is gonna make my week/year if that’s the case!

MallBrawler

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JKR, '21 JLUR, '21 Tesla MYP, '22 4XE ordered
Occupation
Jeep Caretaker
Has your dealer told you the 4xe can be ordered on the 3rd?
As of a couple of weeks ago, they said no info yet. I don't want to bug them that much haha
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.