Sponsored

Is there a way to reduce turbo lag on the 2.0T?

Go Outside

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Hi, I am looking at the the Burger JB4 and the DV+ as options. After an hour of searching, I can only find occasional posts of "... seems like less lag...".
So, has anyone installed a product that has significantly reduced turbo lag on there 2.0T?
Sponsored

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Hi, I am looking at the the Burger JB4 and the DV+ as options. After an hour of searching, I can only find occasional posts of "... seems like less lag...".
So, has anyone installed a product that has significantly reduced turbo lag on there 2.0T?
Replace with sequential twin turbos, or triple or quadruple...

Turbos by nature, will have some lag. Anyone who says otherwise is delusional.

Or get a 3.6 and slap on a positive displacement supercharger...

OP
OP
Go Outside

Go Outside

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Replace with sequential twin turbos, or triple or quadruple...

Turbos by nature, will have some lag. Anyone who says otherwise is delusional.

Or get a 3.6 and slap on a positive displacement supercharger...
Or just buy an old Bronco with a V8? Super helpful. Thanks

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Are you sure you aren’t just feeling the transmission? Seems to be the major source of powertrain “lag” on mine.

The 2.0 builds torque much faster than the 3.6, which is pretty typical for a small displacement DI engine. It isn’t some laggy overboosted engine that would slaughter you if you missed a shift.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Are you sure you aren’t just feeling the transmission? Seems to be the major source of powertrain “lag” on mine.

The 2.0 builds torque much faster than the 3.6, which is pretty typical for a small displacement DI engine. It isn’t some laggy overboosted engine that would slaughter you if you missed a shift.
2.0 turbo has some lag due to engine size (small displacement) and turbo size (sized for mid range).
This particular 2.0 has lot less lag compared to others (civic type r) because turbo sized not for high rpm power.
It's TRUE that once you hit boost, torque at lower rpms is higher than 3.6.
If you want zero leg - drive EcoBoost 3.5 twin turbo explorer in Sand mode. Two smaller turbos that spool much faster and car never goes below 2.2k rpms to keep turbos always spooled (in Sand mode).

Last edited:

Sponsored

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Transmission programing can greatly help spool time(minimize lag) too bad they did not offer sport mode button to keep transmission from running too low of rpms.
Another way around it is using manual shifting, which is pain in the ass on automatic.

There is a development of ECU and TCU programing for 2.0JL but who know how long before a handheld.

Throtle controller is your best option currently - eliminates delay of electronic throttle body and in turn, transmission. Currently, throttle body is delayed compared to your gas pedal input (for gas saving reasons) .
https://www.extremeterrain.com/spee...DAk77XMEviXWORxvDx4aAl9AEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Tan 4Xe Rubicon
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
no eTorque? I have minimal lag with the eTorque. A great improvement would be to get a Pedal Commander. You can set up throttle responsiveness. It helps overcome turbo lag. I keep mine at city mode. but if you go to "race" mode, its insane how jumpy it is. each mode is adjustable.

Dont buy a bypass valve, you want to keep the boost up.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with adding a throttle controller. To me, the issue is more of the "delay" with the electronic throttle than turbo lag. I added a Hikeit X9 throttle controller and am very happy with the throttle response now. Now, the throttle and application of power is predictable and immediate.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
2.0 turbo has some lag due to engine size (small displacement) and turbo size (sized for mid range).
This particular 2.0 has lot less lag compared to others (civic type r) because turbo sized not for high rpm power.
It's TRUE that once you hit boost, torque at lower rpms is higher than 3.6.
If you want zero leg - drive EcoBoost 3.5 twin turbo explorer in Sand mode. Two smaller turbos that spool much faster and car never goes below 2.2k rpms to keep turbos always spooled (in Sand mode).
If you want zero lag, drive a Tesla. I twitch my toe and instantly have 100% torque. You can’t replace electric motors, every ICE has to wind itself up some to make torque.

Torque at pretty much any RPM is higher than the 3.6, it hits peak torque and stays there until damn near redline. Like every other DI engine with forced induction. DI changed the turbo game entirely.

Put a pedal commander in or maybe a chip upgrade that modifies the transmission programming, then start worrying about the lag. The 2.0 is a torquey little motor matched to a fairly meh transmission. Which is fine, it’s a Wrangler.

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
We all have some issues with throttle lag versus turbo lag. Adding a controller will help solve that issue and make the Jeep feel snappier. The GFB DV+ and Mishimoto IC pipe will add some snap to the response as well with the added power and improved recirculating BOV.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Go Outside

Go Outside

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Thank you for your suggestions.
I have a hard time believing that the throttle delay can be adjusted by intercepting the throttle pedal position signal. For that to be true, the throttle delay would have to be controlled by a timing circuit built into the pedal assembly. I'm not saying it ain't so, I'm saying it is hard to believe.
I'm pretty sure all the pedal commander does is tell the computer that you have pushed the pedal further than you did.
Now, back to turbo lag, because that is what I am dealing with. I know it is turbo lag because if I keep the turbo spooled I don't have any. Also, I can watch the boost pressure on a gauge and visually see the turbo lag.
Oh never mind.