Sponsored

So you have a Service Axle Locker warning light. How I fixed mine.

Rsquire87

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
My latest update is that they are checking something in the diff and will likely be replacing The entire rear diff. I thought they wouldn’t replace the diff and would just do the whole axle assembly? Is that sensor part of the differential assembly or the axle?
Sponsored

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
My latest update is that they are checking something in the diff and will likely be replacing The entire rear diff. I thought they wouldn’t replace the diff and would just do the whole axle assembly? Is that sensor part of the differential assembly or the axle?

It is an electrical component that takes less than 15 minutes to replace.

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
I don't know, just posted for situational awareness because everyone was looking for a source for the sensor.

Gregj

Mud2Sno

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Rubicon
My 18 JLUR has been in the shop for a month now and they just figured out they will now replace the axle. I had tried the Z locker plugs but they did not work on mine...

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
I wonder if something like this or this could be used to fix failed sensors? Looks like battery and ground are available on the locker connector.

Jeep Wrangler JL So you have a Service Axle Locker warning light.  How I fixed mine. axleLocker

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
@mgroeger had this same issue and now I believe I do as well. Was gonna RTV it when I re-geared but seems to have happened before. They warrantied it and I have a new axle on the way. I am gonna re-gear as soon as stacked offroad can get me in and I plan on having them do it or I will do it myself.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
@mgroeger had this same issue and now I believe I do as well. Was gonna RTV it when I re-geared but seems to have happened before. They warrantied it and I have a new axle on the way. I am gonna re-gear as soon as stacked offroad can get me in and I plan on having them do it or I will do it myself.
Good grief you guys are dropping like flies. @chevymitchell had his light come on at like 2000 miles.

Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Good grief you guys are dropping like flies. @chevymitchell had his light come on at like 2000 miles.
Mine came on in the middle of Kansas. Somewhere around 5200 miles. It's unfortunate, but not surprising. It's whatever at this point. New axle will be here in October some time. Same time frame as the Long Arm.

fixbroke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I wonder if something like this or this could be used to fix failed sensors? Looks like battery and ground are available on the locker connector.
I looked into replacing the hall chip itself, but it's fairly unique. Most hall chips use all three pins, though there are a few that can be used in a 2-wire configuration. Other characteristics that need to match the original sensor are its magnetic flux sense orientation and its actual magnetic flux current response. Without a way of measuring the flux response, I gave up on sourcing a replacement chip.

They are cheap enough that it might be worth trying a bunch to see if one works, however.

Mind you, I think the hall chip itself is impervious to oil. I think it's the PCB board itself that fails.

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
If you‘ve regeared, it probably won’t hurt, but if you haven’t touched the axle and then modify that part and it leaks anyway, you’ll have voided your warranty.

Well this thread is an amazing story... my JLRU is in the shop now and I was going to ask about re-gear and the lifetime warranty, (still will, wonder if I will get a different answer). My dealer is Shaver in thousand oaks and those guy are great (Ken and Chris)..

but it will be funny to see the electrical part go bad on my stock (unmodified axle) and they would replace the whole axle i guess.. I got on this thread because I am considering upgrading axle shafts, as i have heard others break theirs and i really dont want to get stranded somewhere.. https://spicerparts.com/parts/axle/...a-44-advantek-front-axle-for-jeep-wrangler-jl So i have a call out to Dana to see how this can be upgraded will maintaining a warranty.. or I will just bring spares and force FCA to fix it after the fact. It seems to me FCA is hurting their own bottom line by not allowing people to upgrade at a component level.

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I've heard guys wire up the lockers to an aux switch...I would probably go that route. But I did buy the z locker fix to mitigate this issue.
Sponsored