Sponsored

back up camera cover on Rubi different than Sport?

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

as i showed in my other thread, i just put on some stock Rubi wheels and tires on my base Sport. my jeep came with steelies which have an ultra shallow hub bore. the hub bore on the Rubi wheels is more than 10x as deep. so now my camera cover doesnt fit any more. im thinking this is only an issue with those of us with the steelies. im thinking that the Sport S and above all may have a different back up camera cover? mine is 4" long. now that i have the Rubi wheel on there, it is at least an inch too long to fit. can some possibly measure theirs and post up?

IMG_9914.jpg

IMG_9920 (1).jpg

IMG_9926.jpg
Sponsored

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
Just leave it off and get a spare tire cover. It comes with a cover itself. P.s. how hard was it to remove the camera?

Also, did your Rubicon tires clear your bumper or did you have to get a relocation bracket?

OP
OP
Pig-Pen

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Just leave it off and get a spare tire cover. It comes with a cover itself. P.s. how hard was it to remove the camera?

Also, did your Rubicon tires clear your bumper or did you have to get a relocation bracket?
i didnt remove the camera, that's the cover that goes over the camera "snout". it has a "lock" in it that hinders a thief from taking your spare wheel/tire. right now its easy pickings. the "lock" uses the star tool that is in the jeep tool kit. the cover prevents the wheel from sliding off the mount.
no, didnt have to do anything to get the wheel to fit. bolted right on. on the top it is pushing against the plastic 3rd brake light bracket whereas the stock one clears it but even if you move it upward it appears that it would still be resting on it (the sidewall). no issue with the bumper at all though. i even saw someone put a 35 back there with the stock bumper. might have been a rubi though. not sure if their bumpers have more clearance.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I just leave it off, it really isn't much of a security device.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
as i showed in my other thread, i just put on some stock Rubi wheels and tires on my base Sport. my jeep came with steelies which have an ultra shallow hub bore. the hub bore on the Rubi wheels is more than 10x as deep. so now my camera cover doesnt fit any more. im thinking this is only an issue with those of us with the steelies. im thinking that the Sport S and above all may have a different back up camera cover? mine is 4" long. now that i have the Rubi wheel on there, it is at least an inch too long to fit. can some possibly measure theirs and post up?

IMG_9914.jpg

IMG_9920 (1).jpg

IMG_9926.jpg
Looks like you are missing the wheel lock lug on your spare, the camera cover isn’t suppose to be the theft deterrent

Sponsored

OP
OP
Pig-Pen

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

i was checking out a Rubi the other day and the cover is about half the size of mine, which explains it.

my jeep came with plain old steelies on it so they probably figured i dont need any locks lol. ive been looking at various spare tire locks on the market. imo, wheel locks alone arent much security either.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
My Rubi didn't come with wheel locks.

cohocarl

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Honda Passport, '18 Crosstrek, '16 Cherokee
As my wife always tells me...it's not the size of the snout, it's what you do with it. :blush:

I was planning on taking the cover off of mine today if I get the time to measure how much room is between the camera and wheel on my Sport S to see if it would be possible to work on a bezel/grommet in Sketchup to 3d print to put on a vinyl tire cover.
(sorry to go O.T.)

Sponsored

bellts

First Name
Timmy!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS 3.6l, Manual (Timmychanga)
Occupation
Software Engineer (of sorts),

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I replaced my stock Sport wheels with Sport S wheels, and found the same issue with the camera shroud. I noticed more sun glare without the shroud, so I made one out of a thin piece of black plastic, cut to shape, cinches on with a black tie wrap. Easy off, back on too.

IMG_20200319_111612613_HDR_resized(1).jpg

IMG_20200319_111621930_HDR_resized(1).jpg

IMG_20200319_111617305_TOP_resized(1).jpg

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy