Sponsored

JLUR Long Term Storage (3.6 without eTorque and 8 Speed Automatic)

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
  • Banned
I have a question on behalf of an Illinois based co worker of my cousin who owns a 2020 JLUR as his daily driver. His is a 3.6 without eTorque plus an 8 speed automatic, fully loaded and no aftermarket modifications.

He has been put on notice that his company will be moving him and his family to an expat assignment in Singapore once this pandemic is over (he is aiming for a Summer 2021 shift at the latest and is starting to prepare slowly for it already). Looks like he will be there for five years alongside with his wife and toddler twin sons. Needless to say he happily accepted.

He does not intend to sell his JLUR and wants to store it in his garage after removing both batteries. What recommendations should he follow for long term storage of his Jeep in his garage? He will be visiting the US twice a year as part of this assignment. His sister’s husband will have the keys to his house and the Jeep.
we already recommended that he consider having the undercarriage and engine bay coated with Waxoyl for rust protection (just in case). Any other suggestions?
Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I really think the best thing is to have his brother in law drive it every other week. Take it out for a nice drive and get the temp up. Then the two times a year he comes home drive the heck out of it.
If that is not an option he's going to have a headache IMO. Get it up on jackstands to get the weight off the tires so they don't get flat spots, put some stabilizer in the gas, disconnect the batteries, etc...

OP
OP
Punjabi New Yorker

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
  • Banned
I really think the best thing is to have his brother in law drive it every other week. Take it out for a nice drive and get the temp up. Then the two times a year he comes home drive the heck out of it.
If that is not an option he's going to have a headache IMO. Get it up on jackstands to get the weight off the tires so they don't get flat spots, put some stabilizer in the gas, disconnect the batteries, etc...
I like the Brother in Law idea. That was also what I recommended. That sounds more logical to me also.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
Sell it and buy a replacement when/if he returns. It's going to be worth a lot more now than when he gets back. Sell it, invest the money, and buy a new one later.

He's just asking for trouble having a vehicle sit for so long even if he pulls batteries and has someone change fluids yearly. Asking someone to drive it weekly isn't going to work - they're either going to forget and not do it or they're just going to drive it as their everyday vehicle. Plus your friend would have to pay registration and insurance on it for 5 years if he expects anyone to drive it.

OP
OP
Punjabi New Yorker

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
  • Banned
Sell it and buy a replacement when/if he returns. It's going to be worth a lot more now than when he gets back. Sell it, invest the money, and buy a new one later.

He's just asking for trouble having a vehicle sit for so long even if he pulls batteries and has someone change fluids yearly. Asking someone to drive it weekly isn't going to work - they're either going to forget and not do it or they're just going to drive it as their everyday vehicle. Plus your friend would have to pay registration and insurance on it for 5 years if he expects anyone to drive it.
Too bad the guy cannot import the Jeep into Singapore and use it there. Singapore law requires all cars be RHD and LHD is allowed only to Diplomats stationed there or tourists who are staying for three days or less. On top of that they require a COE (Certificate of Entitlement) and have to pay very steep taxes. Gas is supposedly equivalent to USD 6 or 7 a Gallon. No wonder a JLU Sahara can cost as much as USD 175k in Singapore. They keep vehicles intentionally expensive to discourage ownership as Singapore as a nation is probably smaller than the city of New York but has a lot higher level of Population Density.

Sponsored

KrzybonesJLU

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I agree with everyone on selling it while it still has high value now. Having a car sit around for that kind Of time even with someone drive it a few times month just isn’t worth it. Plus is a opportunity to buy a newer rubicon down the line.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
Too bad the guy cannot import the Jeep into Singapore and use it there. Singapore law requires all cars be RHD and LHD is allowed only to Diplomats stationed there or tourists who are staying for three days or less. On top of that they require a COE (Certificate of Entitlement) and have to pay very steep taxes. Gas is supposedly equivalent to USD 6 or 7 a Gallon. No wonder a JLU Sahara can cost as much as USD 175k in Singapore. They keep vehicles intentionally expensive to discourage ownership as Singapore as a nation is probably smaller than the city of New York but has a lot higher level of Population Density.
Yeah, it's a shame he can't import. I just barely missed out on a shot to travel to Singapore for 2 week work trip a few years ago and I regret not having gone. My coworker went for me and had an incredible time. It's amazing how much they can pack into that tiny landmass!

OP
OP
Punjabi New Yorker

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
  • Banned
Yeah, it's a shame he can't import. I just barely missed out on a shot to travel to Singapore for 2 week work trip a few years ago and I regret not having gone. My coworker went for me and had an incredible time. It's amazing how much they can pack into that tiny landmass!
Just ask him if he went to Orchard Towers in Singapore (or Google it) :LOL::LOL:
Sponsored