Roof rack for RTT

blakejordan

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU 4XE Rubicon
Hey guys! I have a hardtop unlimited JL and want to see if you have any reccomations on what roof rack to go with (no drilling required ones) with my new 2 person ikamper mini RTT. I’m finding so many options and it’s so hard to choose and pros and cons etc.. let me know what’s on your setup!
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
exposed racks. I don't use a RTT. But I have the exposed racks to carry camping gear and kayaks. They're very well built and I really like their click in system. They have a RTT system take a look at it. Consists of 3 crossbars and distribution feet to distribute the weight across the hardtop. I think weight capacity is 300lbs dynamic and over 600lbs static.

thrasher

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4 door
Good choice on tent. I have a Maximus 3 rack but a Yakima tent. The Yakima (as noted in other threads) is next to impossible to get on that rack. So whatever rack you go with make sure the tent will attach fairly easily. I ended up drilling into the base of the tent

Gropax

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Mojito Green
don't be scared of drilling into a hartop it will not leak if installed correctly. unless you get a full cage like roof rack system you will need to do some drilling i find the Rhino back bone system the best because it is easy to remove if you take your hard top off.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation

Sponsored

OP
OP
blakejordan

blakejordan

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
exposed racks. I don't use a RTT. But I have the exposed racks to carry camping gear and kayaks. They're very well built and I really like their click in system. They have a RTT system take a look at it. Consists of 3 crossbars and distribution feet to distribute the weight across the hardtop. I think weight capacity is 300lbs dynamic and over 600lbs static.
That’s what I’m looking into now and looks like it might be the only one

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
That’s what I’m looking into now and looks like it might be the only one
Take a look at dezee rack as well. cheaper, and rated to 200lbs dynamic. I think the exposed racks is worth the extra price in my opinion.

OP
OP
blakejordan

blakejordan

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Take a look at dezee rack as well. cheaper, and rated to 200lbs dynamic. I think the exposed racks is worth the extra price in my opinion.
That’s literally the 2 I’m comparing now, dee zee is 450$ and exposed is 820$. Thing is I’m only keeping the Jeep for 5 more months so I didn’t want to invest to much

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
How does the exposed rack work On a hardtop?

is it that the little feet simply distribute the weight into enough places that they can get higher loads than a standard gutter mount system?

OP
OP
blakejordan

blakejordan

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How does the exposed rack work On a hardtop?

is it that the little feet simply distribute the weight into enough places that they can get higher loads than a standard gutter mount system?
That’s exactly what it’s for! Pretty cool

Sponsored

Boutch76

First Name
Yannick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport JL 2D Manual
Anyone has the Garvin Adventure 2 doors roof rack with a RTT?
If so, how much cargo space is there left on the rack? I am debating between the Adventure and Expedition. I am wondering how many accessories can be added to the adventure if there is only one bar on the entire cage.

OP
OP
blakejordan

blakejordan

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I went ahead and bought the Dee Zee rack! One of the only racks in stock and from what I’ve seen they are good for the money and even come with a front rack over the freedom tops. Let’s see how it is when it gets here! Thank you everyone

Gropax

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Mojito Green
No you don't need a cage for a no drill system.

https://www.smsparts.com/roof-top-tent-racks-for-all-jeeps
that rack scares the crap out of me it just uses the rain channels to hold its self on and just so you know your roof only has like a 200lb load max before you go thru it so good luck with that one if you have 2 people in a RTT or one adult male. beacuse you are going to need about 600lbs+ of static load 150 or so for the tent 200 for a male and i will be nice and say 150 for a female if you are looking to have someone with you and if you got kids i will throw in another 125 for them.lets do some simple math that will be 625lbs. and that isn't counting any gear that will be stored in or next to the tent if the rack has room.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
that rack scares the crap out of me it just uses the rain channels to hold its self on and just so you know your roof only has like a 200lb load max before you go thru it so good luck with that one if you have 2 people in a RTT or one adult male. beacuse you are going to need about 600lbs+ of static load 150 or so for the tent 200 for a male and i will be nice and say 150 for a female if you are looking to have someone with you and if you got kids i will throw in another 125 for them.lets do some simple math that will be 625lbs. and that isn't counting any gear that will be stored in or next to the tent if the rack has room.
It has weight distribution feet that distributes the load across the top. I dont use it for an RTT but there are several people who do, and exposed racks have done extended testing and it hasnt failed. The real carrying capability of the JL hardtop is a bit of a mistery, FCA does not want to deal with liability issues so third parties have had to do their own testing, and they have found out you can certainly have a RTT with this system. Nobody has "gone through" the top using this system. But it is a lot more solid than the dezee. Exposed racks have done extensive testing and their system involves 3 crossbars and 12 distribution feet. I personally dont carry over 150lbs on mine cause I dont need to, but wouldnt mind a 2 people RTT.

Sorry you had to drill through your top. FCA also does not encourage drilling through the hardtop, it could potentially generate cracks, and cracks never stop propagating. So either way you go, you are trusting R&D from third parties.

thrasher

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4 door
Sorry you had to drill through your top. FCA also does not encourage drilling through the hardtop, it could potentially generate cracks, and cracks never stop propagating. So either way you go, you are trusting R&D from third parties.
I went the drill route since it is now on the frame and has both a static and dynamic load rating much higher than I needed. Did not need my RTT get pulled off going down the highway and cause a nice accident. For peace of mind the Maximus 3 with pioneer rack was the way to go for me. Also I can still remove the hard top by taking out a few screws when I want the topless look. With that said, the gutter route is much less intrusive if you arent sure this is going to be something you like.
Sponsored