Which car company will own jeep next?

keda69

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 rubicon
Jeep has been bought and sold about 5 times in its history.
So who would you like to see buy them next?
Me personally id go with ford or Toyota.
Sponsored

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
chitty bang bang inc. the only 1 star reliability rate car company in the world, also known as "Lone Star Jeep Inc!"

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
(I should say how's about) Tesla???---they do things right---know how to take care of customers...

not that I think Tesla would buy them....

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
A competent car company. Someone that could inject better quality control and reliability. One of the big boys. Honda, Toyota, hell even Ford or GM..

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I think if Jeep was sold to anyone, we could kiss the wrangler as we know it goodbye. Toyota axed the FJ Cruiser. Honda would make it into a Pilot Convertible. Ford would use the architecture to make a new "Retro" Bronco II. And GM would absorb the Wrangler into GMC and drop all of the crossover Jeep models, the only benefit being a power gain with the GM 3.6, and possible use of the 2.8 Turbo Diesel from the Canyon.

Sponsored

kingdog23

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Bikini Sahara Turbo, 2016 Mini Cooper S Clubman
Occupation
LED Lighting
Porsche or Mazda would have my Mojito! Turbo with a Premium Soft Top delivered by now, and I wouldn't be bitching about wind noise. Hahaha!

Last edited:

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Me personally id go with ford or Toyota.
That would be the worst thing to happen to Jeep. They would cannibalize any overlaping lines, and dilute any Jeep product to promote their own badge.

If anything Jeep needs to be sold to a company with little overlap so that there is no motivation to tank any vehicle.

The best would be for a company that uses the acquisition to gain entery into totally new markets for them, so that they are motivated to keep the products healthy to compete against the likes of Ford, GM, Yota.

McAutryx

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, 2015 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Project Manager
From what I've seen in the past few months, FCA was approached by several foreign investors (read Chinese) who wanted to purchase Jeep only, and leave the other brands (Dodge, Chrysler, Ram) with FCA. Think Sergio Marchionne said no dice, and told them all or nothing. You would think a company that doesn't have a huge SUV presence would want Jeep ASAP, like Honda. I know they make the Pilot and CRV/HRV, but they don't sell nearly as many as Toyota does. BUT, you cannot touch the Wrangler, Grand Cherokee as I think those are both pretty darn perfect (which is why I own one of each!) They could take the Cherokee and lose whatever is happening right now, do a resto version that looks boxy like the old Cherokees, and make a mint. My two cents...

kingdog23

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Bikini Sahara Turbo, 2016 Mini Cooper S Clubman
Occupation
LED Lighting
That would be the worst thing to happen to Jeep. They would cannibalize any overlaping lines, and dilute any Jeep product to promote their own badge.

If anything Jeep needs to be sold to a company with little overlap so that there is no motivation to tank any vehicle.

The best would be for a company that uses the acquisition to gain entery into totally new markets for them, so that they are motivated to keep the products healthy to compete against the likes of Ford, GM, Yota.
The Wrangler and GC would be the only models to survive in most scenarios; M-B has that G-Wagen. Great Derek Sanderson photo, BTW.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Geely will make an offer Sergio can’t refuse. Then the vast majority of members here will really and truly flip their shit. It almost happened with their last offer.

Last edited:

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Wrangler and GC would be the only models to survive in most scenarios; M-B has that G-Wagen. Great Derek Sanderson photo, BTW.
The problem with Yota, does the GC survive vs the 4Runner? Doubt Yota would give up that badge to promote the GC, they would also kill Wrangler for an F/FJ/whatever. Ford long term would kill the Wrangler for the ‘iconic’ Bronco, both would need to spin-off or kill RAM. GM would tank the GC and RAM too for it’s lines also, at least they (GM) said no one else can do a Wrangler but Jeep, and their Jimmy/Blazer heritage isn’t strong enough to swap for Wrangler’s, even though some were vury-vury nice;

0A707262-AD1C-4F0F-8A49-999341D21679.jpeg

Mercedes when they owned CJD didn’t really have much exposure in the US market so that helped, now that’s changed.

Honda’s one of the few without a strong enough bage in the primary Jeep domain, even the odd-ball export capable Hondas don’t have a name in N.Am. so buying a place would make more sense. They also have no real trucks (Ridgeline is a nice ‘car-truck’), etc, so better bigger picture fit there too for RAM.

The problem is that most of the good possible partners already buddied-up after 2008.

OP
OP
keda69

keda69

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 rubicon

What moron would cannibalize an auto line that is blowing away its competition? The wrangler and Cherokee lines alone sold 600000 units last year. Only a fool would mess with a guaranteed money maker.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What moron would cannibalize an auto line that is blowing away its competition? The wrangler and Cherokee lines alone sold 600000 units last year. Only a fool would mess with a guaranteed money maker.
A company that already has halo products in that segment. You get no new opportunities, efficiencies that way.

Only a fool would pay top dollar for a brand that in a segment that they too also compete in at the top.
If Jeep were stuggling it would be a completely different scenario, but the fact that they are highly valued means that if they don’t offer new lines beyond the purchased market share, then you are over-paying for that share, and it more than likely sales would contract, not grow after acquisition.

Better for someone like a Chinese company to buy into a new market, and then expand with a second line for new market share beyond just the pruchased share/assets.

dwoodwo1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2016 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium, Granite
Im a lot more optimistic than others here. If anyone buys Jeep and other lines from FCA, they will be doing it because of the success of the jeep brand. If they cannibalize it, they would effectively be damaging the most valuable brand that they would be buying. I would suspect that it would remain mostly intact, with notable casualties being the compass and renegade.
Sponsored