Towing with a soft top

DigitalNomad

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I’m scratching my head on this one. Looking at renting a Uhaul trailer, and find online that they have a policy to not permit towing behind a soft top SUV. (Yes, this includes my 2018 JLUS.) Please tell me this is just some crazy Uhaul corporate policy, and that in general I can tow behind my Jeep. Please?
Sponsored

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
You can tow with your soft top but you will NOT be able to rent a trailer from Uhaul. Home Depot or HercRentals are places you can rent with a soft top.

OP
OP
DigitalNomad

DigitalNomad

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
You can tow with your soft top but you will NOT be able to rent a trailer from Uhaul. Home Depot or HercRentals are places you can rent with a soft top.
Thanks for this! Do you happen to know of any companies that will do one way rentals of enclosed trailers, with a soft top?

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
If I recall correctly it explicitly requires a hard top. I have a feeling its for some liability reason to keep passengers inside if you wreck with their trailer attached but who knows.
Yes, I had heard this explanation in past...

UHaul will not rent you a trailer to tow behind any and all Ford Explorer's. No kidding... unless they recently changed that rule. Has to do with a past law suit they were involved in supposedly.

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
This may seem a bit shady, but do you have a buddy with a pickup who would just go pickup the Uhaul trailer for you? And then get it back to your place and attach to your Jeep?

OP
OP
DigitalNomad

DigitalNomad

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
This may seem a bit shady, but do you have a buddy with a pickup who would just go pickup the Uhaul trailer for you? And then get it back to your place and attach to your Jeep?
Wish I did. Also not sure what would happen on the other end when I drop the trailer off (1,000 mile move).

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Bad idea. If you happen to get into an accident, or the trailer detaches and who knows what damages it causes you will probably get in trouble.

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUXR, 2018 GC Trailhawk Hemi
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional
In my personal experience, I've found U-Haul trailers to be pretty janky- not well maintained, and the three I've rented all seem to have tires that were at least 20 years old. The last one I rented for a one-way move had its tires underinflated by 25 psi when I took it home. When I asked the manager about that after picking it up- he said they don't check the pressure with a gauge- just a "thumper" they bang against the tire. Great. Too bad there aren't many other one-way trailer options...

Last edited:

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
With Sports Bars and presumptively seat belts on, maybe it's time that U-Haul reexamine this generic policy for the Wrangler. Are we really expecting a hard top to hold the rig's weight if flipped over versus a Sports Bar's line of defense for either soft, hard, or no top?

Am I missing the rationale?

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
Wish I did. Also not sure what would happen on the other end when I drop the trailer off (1,000 mile move).
Pull it off the lot with one of THEIR $20 rentals. Return rental. Keep trailer. Trailer returns after hours just has you dropping it in the designated lot. Occupants are still insured under your normal coverage. get the $8 trailer protection.

OP
OP
DigitalNomad

DigitalNomad

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Right, but I don’t think I’ll be able to get them to change their policy in the next couple of weeks.

Current alternatives: Buy my own and resell it when I’m done, or buy a micro travel trailer (which we want for later anyway)...
Sponsored