First Name
Marlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Aviation
Hi, I can’t find an update on this subject. Can anyone recommend a roof rack for carrying a (longboard) surfboard on a JLU?
Sponsored

marcdm

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara... preceded by 2012 JKU Sahara, Multiple CJ's, TJ's even XJ, WJ & WK2... yup, Always loved my jeeps :)
X2 - Im not seeing any good suggestions in Search for surf racks. I had always suspected that I could find an attachment to work in the Mopar cross bars. Is anyone on the forum have some suggestions for boards? Mine are all shortboards... but I suspect any rack would work for most long and short boards.

broncoguy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Ford Bronco, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
Realtor
We have the mopar roof racks and use pads and straps to hold them down. Most local surf shops should carry pads and straps or you could order online.

Here are some from a google search Surf pads and straps

marcdm

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara... preceded by 2012 JKU Sahara, Multiple CJ's, TJ's even XJ, WJ & WK2... yup, Always loved my jeeps :)
Thanks @broncoguy - That's a good suggestion and certainly more affordable that the option I had been considering. My buddy uses the INNO rack which I like as it has a locking mechanism. But, I was just not sure if it would work with the MOPAR cross bar.

PA-Punkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, 2012 BMW 328 Wagon, 2002 BMW 330 Cabrio
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Here's Thule's 60" bars, I use for carrying a kayak, but could easily mount surf board attachments.

Jeep Wrangler JL Roof rack for Surfboard 20200820_130407

Sponsored

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
We use Yakima round bars for multiple 14’ SUP stacking. Without bags we just use SIC bar cushions and pool noodles. From time to time will use a locking Yakima strap with cable core. Bars and towers are locked on. Works fine on the JL at highway speeds.

Jeep Wrangler JL Roof rack for Surfboard 0D116059-9CBA-4F1C-96C3-60C5E3F8DCA4

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I recall that I read somewhere that many Racks specifically exclude carrying things like surfboare and kayaks supposedly, it’s the “lift” that they can cause..

that said, the Mopar rails For the JL actually have a kayak attachment..... so, one would think that they would be OK for a surfboard too. Good luck in your search!

OP
OP
ASMSAS

ASMSAS

First Name
Marlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Aviation
Thanks for the feed back and the photos! I heard the mopar rack whistles and has been known to crack at the mounts after a few years. I'll take a look at the Thule and Yakima options :)

Sponsored

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
Ok so I went another direction now, I ordered this temp. soft rack, I'll post after I get a chance to use it:

https://www.epicsurfracks.com/OE-Rap-Rax
I've driven across Florida with an FCS soft rack and several boards, no problem. They are a bit of a pain getting the boards on and off compared to a hard rack, so if you are using it all the time it can get annoying. However, for just going to my local beach, I just throw my 8' board in the back with the rear seat folded down and the board sticking out with the glass open.

However, I recommend for long or high speed trips with a soft rack, you put at least one strap around the whole thing after securing the boards - they tend to lift at speed ;)

marcdm

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So after much research I went with the Mopar cross bars and the INNO surf adapter. I really wanted something that I could lock my boards as I typically trek with more than one board so that I can have the choice of which board to ride depending on conditions.

Also, given that I am sitting on 35’s / Mopar suspension, I wanted to keep it as low as I could as with the cross bar alone I already am to tall for some garages. (Yakima sits taller)

The components are super well constructed and the bow and crane make it super easy to add at least 3 bagged boards and still synch down while well protected on pads

B8200FB8-EAA4-4017-BF59-B010EFCCFBF6.jpeg

5EBBB9C5-2FA4-45EC-9830-D084A7F3BCE9.jpeg

OP
OP
ASMSAS

ASMSAS

First Name
Marlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Aviation
So after much research I went with the Mopar cross bars and the INNO surf adapter. I really wanted something that I could lock my boards as I typically trek with more than one board so that I can have the choice of which board to ride depending on conditions.
nice looking Jeep!

Do you get any whistling or obvious noise from the rack when you’re not carrying boards?

marcdm

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I mounted the MOPAR cross bars I did get some very minor whistle at highway speeds. What I have found super surprising is that as I mounted the board pads and the INNO attachments... it was slightly reduced. I had anticipated that it would be the reverse.

I have had other racks - notably Yakima / round bars that were loud as HELL!!! While these are notable in creating a sound consistent with having a rack - it is well more quiet than I would have anticipate and as I mentioned above - less so with the full set up than bars alone.

Hope this helps!

nice looking Jeep!

Do you get any whistling or obvious noise from the rack when you’re not carrying boards?

Themallcrawler

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL
Hey MarcDM - thanks so much for this post last year. I am currently facing a similar situation that you were facing. I have a 2021 2-door wrangler coming, and I'm looking for surfboard rack options. The one difference, is that I have a soft top not a hard top.

Two questions for you:

1.) Are you still happy with your Mopar Cross Bars and INNO surf adapter setup?
2.) Would this work for a soft top?
Sponsored