Sponsored

I love my Rubicon - it’s AC, not so much...

Tdurden032

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Okay so I really have zero complaints about the Rubicon and am still kicking myself for not buying one a long time ago (better late than never though right? ;)), but I have to say that the AC is just not doing it for me... I’m not one to leave well-enough alone, so I’m thinking about a nuclear solution here - all windows with ceramic tint (second layer on the back/hardtop), and then some sort of headliner whether that’s Mopar or hotheads or a diy if I ever get some free time... Having a black Jeep with black interior, I didn’t expect the headliner-less factory setup to be awesome in the comfort department, but I also didn’t expect my car to be an easy bake oven every time I left it out of the garage either... I‘m pretty active (this Covid/gym closure situation is killing me) and sort of a walking furnace anyway at 6’2” 205lbs - so I typically just roll down the windows for rapid cooling to help the AC but with my three girls, I want to make sure they don’t melt (particularly the young one). Any other suggestions outside of the tint and headliner? Thanks as always and in advance for your input!
Sponsored

jrh413

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sport
Seems strange, my black Jeep always kicks out cold ac when I give it some time to start up.

this summer is a bit different without the doors or windows, haven’t used the ac since last summer

but seriously the ac sounds like a jet engine taking off but should be pumping out copious amounts of cold air. Maybe consider getting it looked at by the dealer...

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
There have been many posts on this issue ...I actually love the AC it cools down the Jeep pretty quick for me ...mine is a 2 door not sure if that is why? As I said there are two camps those that the AC is great and those that are not. I think everything you stated will def help, have u taken it to the dealer to have it checked..maybe it needs coolant?

OP
OP
Tdurden032

Tdurden032

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Thanks for the fast replies and insight everyone! I kept thinking that I just needed to not be such a sissy about it but when almost all of my passengers complained about the lack of AC that got me thinking that maybe something is not quite right. It’s quite possible that I do need to get the dealer to take a gander at the coolant levels, etc., I still need to get my clutch checked out for the recall anyway - can’t wait for the tech to neutral drop my Rubicon in the parking lot - sigh...

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I don't know much about the A/C (my top is completely off for about half the year and don't need A/C the other half). But there really is no substitute for parking in the shade if you can. I'll park at the end of an empty parking lot if I have to just to park in the shade.

Sorry, this post was probably of no help to you at all. :giggle:

Sponsored

DirtRoad

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I live in Vegas and it's been 110-115 here the past couple weeks. It's brutal the the JL A/C definitely has trouble keeping up. My old Toyota FJ was about as good a desert vehicle as I think you could ever find. The short, vertical windows keep a lot of the sun out and they were a lot like a Jeep's windows as far as that goes. I bet a headliner would make a noticeable difference so I'll probably try that out before too long.

flharleycop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2018 Ford Raptor, past 79 CJ5, 86 CJ7, 11 JKU
Occupation
Retired
I have a soft and hard top, the black soft top is way cooler than my hard top.

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
Okay so I really have zero complaints about the Rubicon and am still kicking myself for not buying one a long time ago (better late than never though right? ;)), but I have to say that the AC is just not doing it for me... I’m not one to leave well-enough alone, so I’m thinking about a nuclear solution here - all windows with ceramic tint (second layer on the back/hardtop), and then some sort of headliner whether that’s Mopar or hotheads or a diy if I ever get some free time... Having a black Jeep with black interior, I didn’t expect the headliner-less factory setup to be awesome in the comfort department, but I also didn’t expect my car to be an easy bake oven every time I left it out of the garage either... I‘m pretty active (this Covid/gym closure situation is killing me) and sort of a walking furnace anyway at 6’2” 205lbs - so I typically just roll down the windows for rapid cooling to help the AC but with my three girls, I want to make sure they don’t melt (particularly the young one). Any other suggestions outside of the tint and headliner? Thanks as always and in advance for your input!
One it is a black on black Jeep that’s already a tough combination to keep cool. I take it that you also have leather seats which in that case doesn’t help either.

My 2020 JLUR is silver with color matching top and cloth seats for the very reason of keeping it cooler in the summer heat out here in the Southwest US.

My a/c cools the cabin down rather quickly but it has help with not just color and cloth but with added window tint and hard top liner. I think the biggest help though is the hard top liner. Definitely worth the money and I wish now I had installed one in my dark colored JKU.

KrzybonesJLU

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT S, 2024 WILLY's
My 2 cents— get a set of headliners, tint and an auto start and leave the AC in auto that way you can just start up the car before you even get in it. At least you’ve gotten a jump on cooling off the jeep before getting in. The AC in Jeep incredibly efficient from my perspective but I don’t see any amount of mods that will get you where you want it to be. The insulation in the Jeep is just not up par to what you would find in other cars.

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
I think the A/C is good but the automatic climate control is not. I run it on manual at fan setting 4 or 5 I am perfectly ok. if I set it at Auto and 70F, it doesn't run much

Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I have a soft and hard top, the black soft top is way cooler than my hard top.
I would bet this is because the fabric simply doesn't act like a heat soak like the fiberglass hard top does. I have both tops too and currently have the hard top back on. I will have to go back to the soft top and see if I notice a difference. I live in Southern Arizona and we have been setting single day records for heat. I have found that the automatic climate control setting cannot compare to running AC manually with recirculation on with the fan at max. Seems to cool the interior within 5 minutes max.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I don’t think the AC on my JL is as effective as it was in my JK. While the air coming out of the vents is cold, it just doesn’t cool down as fast. I have the soft top on right now...my JK had a hardtop with insulating pads.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX

I cannot speak for the guys n gals with 4-door JL's but my 2-door Rubi cools great and I live in the Arizona desert...The factory headliners do help a lot and I also chose cloth seats as getting in and out a lot on the trails or on hot days are much more comfortable-especially for the ladies who typically are in shorts or skirts...Ceramic tint will also help, however I will not be doing that until I find time for the interior / audio upgrades. (Installing all leather trim except seats and upgrading the audio with JL Audio gear) When you do the ceramic tint, make sure you do the windshield as well (I did 80% on my RAM and it made a big difference and you do not even know the windshield is tinted) also find an installer who will give you a break on subsequent windshield tinting as you will need this as our windshields tend to break way too often...

I know what you mean about the ChinaFlu and gyms closing...I workout a lot and tip the scales at just under 210, had to find a 'private' gym to join or eat a lot less-I found a great private gym!

ChadT

First Name
CHAD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKUR, 2017 JKR Lots of mods
ceramic tint here, max legal all around which is pretty much blacked out on the back windows with 70% on the front windshields and the Mopar headliner in both of our Jeeps and they stay much cooler than without when parked outside and they cool down quickly also
Sponsored