Sponsored

HD Front Camera setup for under $75, no Tazer required?

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I know its not the solution you guys are trying to figure out, but I grabbed one of these (https://lookitcam.com/)for my Gladiator until I can figure out (or find someone who has) done it through the 8.4. Its just a bluetooth camera, but it works as a temp for now for now.. Ive also sent some questions over to JScan, those guys are awesome and I wouldn't doubt their willingness to help if people were to flood them asking for a solution.
Sponsored

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
I'm making progress on placing a Raspberry pi camera in the gladiator grill. This is awesome. Just not waterproof.

MVIMG_20200801_094216.jpg

IMG_20200801_094227.jpg

IMG_20200801_094446.jpg

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
@Marco#1 , any update on the FAKRA video switch? Did it work?

OP
OP
Marco#1

Marco#1

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Moab
@Marco#1 , any update on the FAKRA video switch? Did it work?
I had to back burner this project for the last few weeks while I finished up the summer semester at school, but I actually got out there yesterday for a few minutes. I have good news, I have bad news, and I have a need..

Bad news: It appears a CVBS camera will not work using the HD (Fakra) input in the back of the head unit. I pretty much expected this, but it's too bad because that really limits our options. Literally every aftermarket camera I've found is CVBS with RCA connections. I am quite confident none of these will work. The OEM rear camera on our JLs are LVDS and cost about $100. HD CVBS cameras can be found for $30. Honestly, the only major problem is this one part doubles the target cost for the whole project.

Good news: The switcher seems to work. I can switch to the second input (my CVBS camera) and I get a blue screen with an on-screen message that says "Camera not ready" or something like that. But here's the great thing... When I switch back to the first input (OEM camera) I get the live video feed again. This was the number one issue I was concerned with, and I was afraid once the head unit lost the signal, even for a second, it would have to be reset to reinitialize the signal. This is not the case *[see footnote below]. This is really good news. I'm feeling pretty confident this cheap ($26) switcher will allow us to select on the fly between two different video sources. This switcher is not what I would ultimately want installed in my Jeep, but it could be used to prove this type of a setup can work.

Need: I need an LVDS camera to test with. I'm kinda at my limit of how much I can spend on this experiment, as I've already bought a whole bunch of stuff that hasn't worked. I just need another OEM rear camera off a JL to determine if any of this is going to work. Unfortunately my JL only came with one backup camera and I don't know anyone I can borrow one from.

[footnote]
If the head unit receives a bad video signal for too long, it will disable the video input and you have to turn off the vehicle for a few minutes to let the video processor reset before getting the video feed back. Yes, I did get a little nervous the first time this happened.

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I went super low tech and grabbed this from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XKPQ6YZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am going to mount the camera to my front bumper, the wiring etc I’ll only run when I use the camera which will only be on extremely difficult trails so I dont have an issue with running the wiring over the hood and into the cabin. Ghetto? Yes but I get the situational utility I need at a very low level of effort and price.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Marco#1

Marco#1

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Moab
I went super low tech and grabbed this from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XKPQ6YZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am going to mount the camera to my front bumper, the wiring etc I’ll only run when I use the camera which will only be on extremely difficult trails so I dont have an issue with running the wiring over the hood and into the cabin. Ghetto? Yes but I get the situational utility I need at a very low level of effort and price.
1. It's pretty impressive that we can buy a 720P camera and display for $40 nowadays.

2. This camera has a 149Âş viewing angle. From the things I've read, you may find this to be too narrow a field for what you want to do. I'm interested to hear what you find when you try it out.

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
1. It's pretty impressive that we can buy a 720P camera and display for $40 nowadays.

2. This camera has a 149Âş viewing angle. From the things I've read, you may find this to be too narrow a field for what you want to do. I'm interested to hear what you find when you try it out.
Yes it is impressive! And yes I'll field test this weekend, it should be pretty easy to just get a different camera, the area I'm most concerned with is the diff region, if I run with doors off I have good visibility most everywhere else.

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
This is my sample. Excuse the messy garage. I have to still change the mount to move the camera more forward.
Jeep Wrangler JL HD Front Camera setup for under $75, no Tazer required? BA4A0111-34EC-4C0E-AD01-06081C19C9B3

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
Need: I need an LVDS camera to test with. I'm kinda at my limit of how much I can spend on this experiment, as I've already bought a whole bunch of stuff that hasn't worked.
I'm quite interested in this and would be willing to shoot you some R&D money. Maybe we could work out some sort of crowd funding on this where those people who fund the research get their equipment paid off by those wanting in on the result IF this pans out. Once their investment is paid off, the info is released to the community.

Seems like a fair process that would be good for all, no?

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The fakra plug looks like it's just a coax. If it were lvds wouldn't it have considerably more lines? Maybe CSI? I dunno.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Marco#1

Marco#1

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Moab
The fakra plug looks like it's just a coax. If it were lvds wouldn't it have considerably more lines? Maybe CSI? I dunno.
It is coax. LVDS, or low-voltage differential signaling, operates at low power and can run at very high speeds using inexpensive copper cables. That’s why they use it in cars. It’s also highly resistant to electromagnetic interference, which is important because the wire harness in a car has so many different signals running through it.

OP
OP
Marco#1

Marco#1

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Moab
I'm quite interested in this and would be willing to shoot you some R&D money. Maybe we could work out some sort of crowd funding on this where those people who fund the research get their equipment paid off by those wanting in on the result IF this pans out. Once their investment is paid off, the info is released to the community.

Seems like a fair process that would be good for all, no?
I agree, but I’d honestly rather just borrow what I need for a couple days. It will take me five minutes to know if it works. I don’t need just the camera. I’ll also need the wires that plug in to it, which is another $150. Then that needs to be converted into some sort of plug I can plug in to my switcher, like Fakra, BNC, SMA, or SMB. I’m guessing it will cost $250-300 to buy what I need to finish testing, and that will put me close to $1,000 invested in something that still doesn’t work (yet).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Marco#1

Marco#1

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Moab
I don’t need just the camera. I’ll also need the wires that plug in to it, which is another $150.
Looked into it this morning, maybe this $44 wire is what I'll need (in addition to the camera)? I need to get outside and take a look at the bottom end of this wire and see what it looks like, and figure out how I can convert whatever it is into BNC, SMA, or SMB (to connect to the splitter I have that seems to work) or Fakra (to use a different splitter I have and make everything more simple).

Anybody have one of these or a camera, send it to me for testing and I'll send it back to you in 24 hours.

Jeep Wrangler JL HD Front Camera setup for under $75, no Tazer required? camera wire

OP
OP
Marco#1

Marco#1

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Moab
Oh, man. That actually might be significantly better. I wish I knew what kind of plug was on the end. And I also wish I knew for certain the plug on the camera end is the same as the one on the back of my Jeep. The gladiator cameras are more expensive because they come with the camera housing, but I’m not sure if there is any difference in the camera itself. I’m gonna see if I can find a photo of the connections and compare it to mine.

Your Pi looks like it’s coming along nicely. What are you going to use for a screen, and how much do you have invested so far?
Sponsored