Sponsored

Impressions from a 5.13 gears install on a JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLUR)

Khsonic03

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I read this entire thread and it definitely made me question my gearing plans. I had been planning on 4.88's for the last 2 years and after reading this and doing some math, I have decided on 5.13s mainly because I miss the pep that the Jeep had when it was new. My appointment is thursday.

I live in FL and we travel 80mph everywhere on the highway (it's the flow of traffic). I'm currently stuck in 7th gear at that speed with 37's and 4.10s. Looking at the math, I will be at essentially the exact same RPM with 5.13's in 8th. I expect a slight decrease in mpg based on my driving style, but overall confident that 5.13s are the right choice. I will definitely be posting back here after they are on the Jeep for a while to report my findings. I currently average about 16mpg with mostly highway driving at 80mph and some city driving.

Here is a great calculator link for others to check out: https://www.desmos.com/calculator/kanrlanh26
Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I read this entire thread and it definitely made me question my gearing plans. I had been planning on 4.88's for the last 2 years and after reading this and doing some math, I have decided on 5.13s mainly because I miss the pep that the Jeep had when it was new. My appointment is thursday.

I live in FL and we travel 80mph everywhere on the highway (it's the flow of traffic). I'm currently stuck in 7th gear at that speed with 37's and 4.10s. Looking at the math, I will be at essentially the exact same RPM with 5.13's in 8th. I expect a slight decrease in mpg based on my driving style, but overall confident that 5.13s are the right choice. I will definitely be posting back here after they are on the Jeep for a while to report my findings. I currently average about 16mpg with mostly highway driving at 80mph and some city driving.

Here is a great calculator link for others to check out: https://www.desmos.com/calculator/kanrlanh26
How are you liking the 5.13s?

Khsonic03

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
How are you liking the 5.13s?
So far, loving them. Still in the break-in period (have put on 250 miles), so I don't have a full impression yet. What I've noticed is that the jeep no longer has the "laggy" feeling it had before when I'd step on the gas; it just goes. Top speed I've been able to do is 60mph and I'm seeing 19-20mpg at that speed.

The jeep loves 8th gear now as well. Went offroading at Ocala National Forest yesterday so the front gears could get broken in a bit before the 500 mile drain and fill (The front ring and pinion don't move in 2wd because of the FAD). It does great on the trails.

Can't wait to finish break in and really try them out and get it up to 80mph. Will post back again.

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
I'm 250 miles into the breakin and so far, wow, I am happy. More to come on my impressions of going to 5.13.

jeepsity

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl 2003 tj
I would suggest any one doing gears , look into dealer pricing before getting an independent shop to do your gears.only due to FCA cancelling all power train warranty.Due to aftermarket parts .

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I would suggest any one doing gears , look into dealer pricing before getting an independent shop to do your gears.only due to FCA cancelling all power train warranty.Due to aftermarket parts .
They are not going to cancel your power train warranty. What some of us are seeing is they won't cover the axles or anything in the diff. Having a dealer do it is not something I would do. You want a shop that does this for a living. Most techs don't have experience with gears.

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Fake news

jeepsity

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl 2003 tj
They are not going to cancel your power train warranty. What some of us are seeing is they won't cover the axles or anything in the diff. Having a dealer do it is not something I would do. You want a shop that does this for a living. Most techs don't have experience with gears.
Is that why dealer rates are so low

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
This is also what I've found after doing an axle swap.

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
No....FCA will not void your powertrain warranty on your transmission and transfer case because you regeared. Also, reputable shops that specialize in gear swaps are going to warranty their work. I've been on this forum for over 2 years and haven't read where anyone has let a dealer regear their diffs. I'm about to regear to 5.13 and am going with a local axle shop that has previously regeared 5 JL's. Did you let a dealer regear your JL?

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
Let’s not forget all of the posts from owners that had their Jeeps in for a simple oil change and it was over filled .... heard that one SEVERAL times.... And what about several reports of the technicians that they use at dealerships barely know how to turn a wrench and are hired right out of high school with not much experience at all.... you want them re-gearing your rig ??

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Really, you would trust a dealership to do gears? You have to be kidding right? Most of them can't even get an oil change right. There is no way my Jeep would go to the dealership for a gear change. Hell Jeep will not even let the dealership take the diff cover off the axles. That is why Jeep swaps the whole axle assembly out when the sensor goes bad in a Rubicon.

Once again, there is no way that a dealership would touch my Jeep for a gear change.

jeepsity

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl 2003 tj
Good to know, how much" fca people" trust their dealerships .

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I would be surprised if you could find a dealer that would do a re-gear. Like the OP said, they aren’t even allowed to open the axle for warranty. Any issues and they replace the entire axle.
Sponsored