MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
You have shims on both sides of the carrier. You should have small and large shims in the kit. I did.
That’s what I was thinking but East Coast said otherwise. My kit came with 2 packs for the bigger bearing. He wasn’t sure either but checked and then called me back and said these new ones only shim one side. So....I guess I’ll be ordering a set of the smaller ones.

Unless I’m crazy, per my thinking.....and I could be wrong, there should be 3 shim packs of different sizes. 1 pack for the pinion, 1 pack for the larger carrier bearing side and a different pack for the smaller bearing side. So 3 different size shim packs correct? I’m sure I can order a shim pack by itself. I’ll have to look around and order one.
Sponsored

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
Confirmed, a master rebuild kit should include three sets of shims. Supposed to also replace the ring gear bolts as well.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Confirmed, a master rebuild kit should include three sets of shims. Supposed to also replace the ring gear bolts as well.
And those 3 sets are all different sizes correct?

Mine has 2 shims packs, identical size, and then the smaller pinion pack.

islandtees

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon jl
And those 3 sets are all different sizes correct?

Mine has 2 shims packs, identical size, and then the smaller pinion pack.
They made a mistake when packaging. They should have the small shim pack in the package.

Sponsored

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
They made a mistake when packaging. They should have the small shim pack in the package.
I agree. I’ll call back and see if they’ll send me the smaller set. It didn’t make any sense to me why or how you would shim one side. It was completely mess up the preload. If you added a shim, the preload would be too tight. Remove a shim and it would be too loose. Didn’t make any sense to me.

Thanks for confirming you all. Appreciate the help!

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I was inventorying my install kits for the regear. I noticed the Dana 44 (220) kit for the rear was missing carrier shims for the smaller bearing. I called East Coast supply and they said you only shim one side in these new Dana 44s. Is that right?

If that is the case, how are you able to keep the preload the same if you have to add or remove shims to get the backlash within spec? When you guys did yours, did you only shim the bigger side for backlash? Any issues with the carrier bear preload when removing or adding carrier shims?
Definitely shimmed on both sides. Call ECGS again and ask for Paul.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely shimmed on both sides. Call ECGS again and ask for Paul.
Will do, thanks Shawn. I also found an old post from you, looks like you had a similar issue with a Dana kit. I’m sure it happens more often where things go missing when they put these together. Not a huge deal, I’m sure they will help me out. Unfortunately they just closed when I called and won’t open til Monday, so I’ll call then.

Thanks again for the help.

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Will do, thanks Shawn. I also found an old post from you, looks like you had a similar issue with a Dana kit. I’m sure it happens more often where things go missing when they put these together. Not a huge deal, I’m sure they will help me out. Unfortunately they just closed when I called and won’t open til Monday, so I’ll call then.

Thanks again for the help.
You’re very welcome man. I have a ton of extra shims, too. If they don’t come through for you, I have shims for the 44, 35, and 30 somewhere in the garage. You should have definitely received them though.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
You’re very welcome man. I have a ton of extra shims, too. If they don’t come through for you, I have shims for the 44, 35, and 30 somewhere in the garage. You should have definitely received them though.
Nice! I’ll let you know. I agree, I’m sure they will hook me up once I get ahold of them.

Sponsored

mushroomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
My front and rear 4.88 ring and pinion sets showed up today (M210/M220) and although I've installed a few gear sets this is my first time with Dana Spicer IIRC...usually stick with Yukon etc. The rear set checks out:

Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Gear Swap - Step by Step Pic's - Rubicon 4.88 D44, 4.88 rear pinion

Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Gear Swap - Step by Step Pic's - Rubicon 4.88 D44, rear ring gear 4.88

But the front pinion threw me for a loop so today I sent DANA tech support an email with the below pic of the front pinion. There were also no marks on the ring gear itself to give me confidence that the ring and pinion were paired together at factory. My only reassurance was that it came in original packaging. So for the gear experts on here, is my concern unwarranted? In the meantime I'll wait and see what DANA says before moving forward with the install.

Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Gear Swap - Step by Step Pic's - Rubicon 4.88 D44, 4.88 pinion etch

Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Gear Swap - Step by Step Pic's - Rubicon 4.88 D44, 4.88 pinion

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
My front and rear 4.88 ring and pinion sets showed up today (M210/M220) and although I've installed a few gear sets this is my first time with Dana Spicer IIRC...usually stick with Yukon etc. The rear set checks out:

Jeep Wrangler JL DIY Gear Swap - Step by Step Pic's - Rubicon 4.88 D44, 4.88 pinion

But the front pinion threw me for a loop so today I sent DANA tech support an email with the below pic of the front pinion. There were also no marks on the ring gear itself to give me confidence that the ring and pinion were paired together at factory. My only reassurance was that it came in original packaging. So for the gear experts on here, is my concern unwarranted? In the meantime I'll wait and see what DANA says before moving forward with the install.

I had the same issue, or thought I did. Look on the outer part of the ring gear. It’ll be barely visible but you should see a number that’ll correspond to the pinion. I didn’t see it at first but noticed it a while later under different light. It was barely visible but it was there.

mushroomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I know what you're talking about and it's there, just not legible. Very very very faint, I might screw around with some tracing paper or something else and see what happens, thanks @MadDog27!

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I know what you're talking about and it's there, just not legible. Very very very faint, I might screw around with some tracing paper or something else and see what happens, thanks @MadDog27!
Of course! Mine was almost a shadow. Not sure what they use to mark it but it was barely noticeable. I actually believe my wife caught it. I thought it wasn’t there and was looking for it more for a peace of mind to know they matched.

Good luck with the install!

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
According to Dana, and what we had to do on my Jeep, you have to keep clocking it until you lose the blinking locker light (By getting it in the right spot)
They’re either full of it or I just got lucky. I don’t see how it could possibly matter where the locker actuator is clocked on the diff.
Sponsored