Sponsored

Any way to update the 8.4" UConnect if you upgraded it yourself?

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

Did you ever have any luck getting your Vin number associated to your radio? I want to activate my hotspot
No. I gave up and bought the Alpine unit.

I am tired of this whole lack of support situation from Jeep. There is no excuse for it. If it can be installed in the factory and work, it should be able to be installed after market and work.
Sponsored

lepcat

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR, Sky One Touch
No. I gave up and bought the Alpine unit.

I am tired of this whole lack of support situation from Jeep. There is no excuse for it. If it can be installed in the factory and work, it should be able to be installed after market and work.
Yep totally understand and I went the same way as well been working on a buddies trying to get it associated. Finally got a hold of an AT&T rep that sounded somewhat okay. Should be able to activate it with the radio hotspot with the iccid and imei. We will see.

Jayway

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL
Yep totally understand and I went the same way as well been working on a buddies trying to get it associated. Finally got a hold of an AT&T rep that sounded somewhat okay. Should be able to activate it with the radio hotspot with the iccid and imei. We will see.

did it end up working out?

lepcat

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
did it end up working out?
Well in a round about way. I had another busy that never planned on using the WiFi. Swapped radios with him and used his vin to activate.

RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase
Well in a round about way. I had another busy that never planned on using the WiFi. Swapped radios with him and used his vin to activate.
I went to a dealer site, (Back in 2018) found a vin with an 8.4 from the factory, go the update site, use this VIN, download and install on my own. I did this a couple of weeks ago to add OR pages.

Sponsored

lepcat

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went to a dealer site, (Back in 2018) found a vin with an 8.4 from the factory, go the update site, use this VIN, download and install on my own. I did this a couple of weeks ago to add OR pages.
Did you not use the Tazer to activate ORP? That update had been out for a while.

RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase
Did you not use the Tazer to activate ORP? That update had been out for a while.
Yes I did. First the 8.4" needed to be upgraded to be ORP capable - if it was not already. The Tazer JL does not add new software, only enables what is already there. The 8.4 upgrade with ORP came out in July, That has been reported for a while.

breakerbaker

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2.0 JLU Sport S, 2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650, 2003 100th Anniversary Harley-Davidson Softtail
Occupation
Navy Doc
I also will be getting the 7" screen in my Sport. I originally was going to purchase the 8.4" off of Infotainment. However, reading through this thread, I believe I am better off purchasing the Alpine or Insane Audio unit. Any thoughts?

lepcat

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes I did. First the 8.4" needed to be upgraded to be ORP capable - if it was not already. The Tazer JL does not add new software, only enables what is already there. The 8.4 upgrade with ORP came out in July, That has been reported for a while.
Ah. Gotcha.

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

I also will be getting the 7" screen in my Sport. I originally was going to purchase the 8.4" off of Infotainment. However, reading through this thread, I believe I am better off purchasing the Alpine or Insane Audio unit. Any thoughts?
Yes, you are better off purchasing a unit from a third party that supports the unit that they sell. There is ZERO logic to why FCA makes this so difficult. If you have a non factory install of the 8.4", maintaining it will always be a hack. It is critical to update software systems, and keep them updated. For security reasons, if nothing else.
Sponsored