plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Any luck with SW Ohio dealers? My steering is heavily modified with nearly everything replaced except the gear box. It will be a hassle to have revert them back to stock, and I don't even have the stock draglink, tierod, and trackbar anymore.
Sponsored

WiseguyDS

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
As I'm going to be lifting the Jeep and upgrading the tires/wheels to 33" sometime in the near future, I'm taking everyone's comments to heart and getting on record regarding the 2" play in the wheel. Everyone so far today at the dealership that I spoke to (except the really new guy who was my salesman when I bought it) professed to not ever hearing anything about loose or sloppy steering. The sales guy, when I was test driving, readily admitted that a lot of customers comment about the loose steering and that many had brought their Jeeps in for servicing. Tight lips!

As mentioned before on this thread, I'm going to innocently leave behind a copy of the TSB.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Well FCA rep got ahold of me, asked me a few questions, and fast shipped the new gearbox and parts to my dealer and will have a rental car waiting for me. Im over mileage and heavily modified. I did have the gearbox replaced once already though. But either way jeep service has been on point with this for me. He is also calling and notifing the dealership what to do for me. And that I dont even have to bother going to the dealership till the parts are in because they wont do anything. Very happy

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Well FCA rep got ahold of me, asked me a few questions, and fast shipped the new gearbox and parts to my dealer and will have a rental car waiting for me. Im over mileage and heavily modified. I did have the gearbox replaced once already though. But either way jeep service has been on point with this for me. He is also calling and notifing the dealership what to do for me. And that I dont even have to bother going to the dealership till the parts are in because they wont do anything. Very happy
How did you get in touch with them?

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I talked to my dealer this morning. The first issue they brought up was the "5SY" option mentioned in the TSB does not show up for my JLUR. The second issue was the lift kit and tires. We talked a bit and they agreed to change the box under warranty unless Jeep wants pictures of my Jeep. It's lifted on 38's.

They did make me an appointment for Monday the 24th. So we'll see...
[/QUOTE

if it’s an 18/19 it won’t have the 5SY sales code only the 20 does or the 18/19 if the gear box was replaced with the AE box. Either way the sales code is irreverent because they have to remove the sales code and update it to the newer version to show the new AA box was installed.

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
As I'm going to be lifting the Jeep and upgrading the tires/wheels to 33" sometime in the near future, I'm taking everyone's comments to heart and getting on record regarding the 2" play in the wheel. Everyone so far today at the dealership that I spoke to (except the really new guy who was my salesman when I bought it) professed to not ever hearing anything about loose or sloppy steering. The sales guy, when I was test driving, readily admitted that a lot of customers comment about the loose steering and that many had brought their Jeeps in for servicing. Tight lips!

As mentioned before on this thread, I'm going to innocently leave behind a copy of the TSB.
It’s probably true that they haven’t heard of sloppy steering because, before this box was invented, the dealerships just told everybody that it drove as designed..... Easy....

it drove ’as designed” a week ago. Today, it needs an engineering fix to solve a problem that the Jeep didn’t have.

BeerMeBruh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Those of you who have gotten approved for the fix, how bad would you say it got before they approved it or is this a no questions asked kinda thing?

I have 250 miles on my JLUR and on streets it still feels okay but once I'm on the highway the problem is exacerbated and it starts pulling right, I have to hold the wheel slightly left just to drive straight. There's also a dead spot before I get a reaction from steering wheel movement to the tires actually moving. Tried adjusting tire pressure because they were way over inflated but problem is still persisting.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Those of you who have gotten approved for the fix, how bad would you say it got before they approved it or is this a no questions asked kinda thing?

I have 250 miles on my JLUR and on streets it still feels okay but once I'm on the highway the problem is exacerbated and it starts pulling right, I have to hold the wheel slightly left just to drive straight. There's also a dead spot before I get a reaction from steering wheel movement to the tires actually moving. Tried adjusting tire pressure because they were way over inflated but problem is still persisting.

A lot depends on your relationship with the dealer and of course the dealer themselves...My JLR just turned 4,000 miles and I have Mopar lift, Teraflex control arms, full Steer Smarts steering linkage (trackbar, drag link and tie rod) a good mix of underbelly armor, Warn bumpers & winch plus a few other goodies all rolling on 35's with 17x8.5 aftermarket wheels...Dealer has the new gearbox on order for me.

Overall, she drives pretty good but there is a moderate dead spot and at times (for no apparent reason) I do have to every so slightly keep pressure to the left to keep from drifting to the right...On the same patch of road, at the same speed, sometimes I can take my hand off the wheel and she goes straight but every now and then she just decides to drift slightly...The Steer Smarts setup plus setting the caster to 6.7 left and 6.9 right took care of most of it but sometimes (now we know it is the gearbox) she just wants to stray...

BeerMeBruh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
A lot depends on your relationship with the dealer and of course the dealer themselves...My JLR just turned 4,000 miles and I have Mopar lift, Teraflex control arms, full Steer Smarts steering linkage (trackbar, drag link and tie rod) a good mix of underbelly armor, Warn bumpers & winch plus a few other goodies all rolling on 35's with 17x8.5 aftermarket wheels...Dealer has the new gearbox on order for me.

Overall, she drives pretty good but there is a moderate dead spot and at times (for no apparent reason) I do have to every so slightly keep pressure to the left to keep from drifting to the right...On the same patch of road, at the same speed, sometimes I can take my hand off the wheel and she goes straight but every now and then she just decides to drift slightly...The Steer Smarts setup plus setting the caster to 6.7 left and 6.9 right took care of most of it but sometimes (now we know it is the gearbox) she just wants to stray...
Yeah I can't even take my hand off, I have to constantly hold it to the left or else she'll change lanes to the right on her own lol.... pretty much any time I'm over 45mph she'll start pulling.

Sponsored

drvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2014 JKU, 2005 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I can't even take my hand off, I have to constantly hold it to the left or else she'll change lanes to the right on her own lol.... pretty much any time I'm over 45mph she'll start pulling.
I second that.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I second that.
I second that.

The aftermarket (Steer Smarts) steering linkage I installed along with alignment tweaking, helped a great deal...Handling should be amazing (for a SFA short wheelbase rig) after installing the new box!

Foster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Anyone in socal done this yet? Really wondering if its worth my time trying to find a good dealer. I'm lifted with 35's, have an aftermarket trackbar and control arms.

Mine isn't bad compared to some I've seen here, but I've driven other JL's with better steering so I know mine can be better. When it's hot mine gets pretty bad.

I'm pretty busy so I don't want to waste my time calling multiple dealers. I also don't want people at the dealer driving my Jeep for 30 min just to know if they'll do the tsb or not.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone in socal done this yet? Really wondering if its worth my time trying to find a good dealer. I'm lifted with 35's, have an aftermarket trackbar and control arms.

Mine isn't bad compared to some I've seen here, but I've driven other JL's with better steering so I know mine can be better. When it's hot mine gets pretty bad.

I'm pretty busy so I don't want to waste my time calling multiple dealers. I also don't want people at the dealer driving my Jeep for 30 min just to know if they'll do the tsb or not.
Try orange coast dodge costa mesa

JavaRunner

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara

You've got 250 miles on it, get it documented ASAP, say it doesn't seem to drive like the ones you test drove, and it feels worse when it is hot. My dealer, who isn't even who i bought it from, replaced it immediately, at about 1k miles. Made a night and day difference. I really don't understand why dealers are refusing, its easy money and a happy customer.
Sponsored