Sponsored

3.6L vs 2.0 turbo?? Pros and cons of both??

Rossp

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
I have the 2.0T in my ‘19 Sahara and so far have enjoyed it. My last two cars had 2.0 turbo engines (Bimmers, different animal) so I’ve become accustomed to it. If your picky about Available options and color, I would let that govern.
Sponsored

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
Hi all,
I am new to the JL fam. I currently am a loud and proud owner of a 2005 TJ with the 4 liter straight 6, but recently have been having issues with it (body rust as I live on the East Coast) and have ultimately decided to put it up for sale and purchase a newer Jeep. I will be outright buying this "new" Jeep, so I can only afford a 2018 or 2019, not a brand new 2020 or 2021. I know that I for sure want a Rubicon. The thing that I am stuck on is which engine to get. I have been hearing great things about the new turbo, but I really don't know what to do.

My question is: Should I get one with a 3.6L or the 2.0 Turbo? What are the pros and cons to both? My primary concern is longevity, I want to keep this Jeep for a long time and have the least possible issues with it. Which engine would be in closest comparison (I know neither one is the same at all) to the 4.0 in the TJ's?

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated!!
The 3.6L is the right choice in my opinion. Although the 4 turbo has had good reviews, it is a very new and very complicated engine initially designed and made for the Alpha Romeo cars. Put that into a 4wd Off Road vehicle that it was never designed to be in initially, and longevity is a huge question mark. The 6 is a strong, proven engine. Time tested and durable. It pulls well and works flawlessly with the 8spd automatic. Play it safe and get a great engine and get the 6.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
5 year, 100,000 mile power train warranty is standard, why the irrational fear of longevity? Now that the eco diesel is out, this discussion is kind of a moot point. In my opinion that is a better option both on and off road.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
"we couldn't guess that the simpler 3.6 would have passenger-side head failure issues, or that the old-school manual transmission would be blowing up clutches."

there were early failures related to the head, but that was fixed something like 6 years ago. The clutch failures track back to LuK making a stupid, bad design of the center plate. It should not be hollow. Hollow plus heat from slippage equals break-up of the plate. Engineers learned decades ago that a plate, such as a brake rotor or clutch plate, should be solid and if you want to save weight or add cooling, you drill holes in it. Despite decades of minimalist engineering, LuK has a strangle hold on OEMs because their lawyers know how to cheaply appear to meet the OEM engineers' specs.
You missed the point... it wasn't about the 3.6's failures, it was that sometimes the simpler or older design isn't more reliable. Purchasing the simpler option doesn't always work out as planned. All this speculation about the 2.0's potential failures is worth little without some history of actual failures.

In the past I owned a brand new S-10 with crank windows. It was ordered that way because they were supposed to work long after the power windows broke, even though I wanted the power windows. About 1 month into ownership, and the drivers-side crank handle broke. Simple? Definitely. Reliable? Not at all. I should have just gotten the power windows... even if they broke it would have at least been something I wanted.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
You missed the point... it wasn't about the 3.6's failures, it was that sometimes the simpler or older design isn't more reliable. Purchasing the simpler option doesn't always work out as planned. All this speculation about the 2.0's potential failures is worth little without some history of actual failures.

In the past I owned a brand new S-10 with crank windows. It was ordered that way because they were supposed to work long after the power windows broke, even though I wanted the power windows. About 1 month into ownership, and the drivers-side crank handle broke. Simple? Definitely. Reliable? Not at all. I should have just gotten the power windows... even if they broke it would have at least been something I wanted.
I am personally familiar with 2 family members and acolleague who have had major engine issues with the 3.6 in their JKs. Head issues and roller bearings...all below 80,000 miles. I know this is anecdotal...my Jk never had engine issues but I traded it for the JL before it had 50,000 miles. The 2.0l might turn out to be a nightmare but I’m not sure a bet on the 3.6 will produce better results. As a side note, back in the 80s I purchased dodge cars w/turbo 4 cylinder engines for fleet use. I don’t recall one major engine issue...and they were run to 150,000 miles...when the chassis would rot out. That was 35 years ago... Turbos don’t concern me.....

Sponsored

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
Coin flip. For me, it came down to what was available to buy in the spec/color I wanted. Happened to be a 3.6 and I’m happy. If it had been a 2.0 I would have been just as happy.
exact same situation for me as well. I wanted the manual, but my wife needs to be able to drive it as well, because if her car has any problems I have to take it in and she drives the jeep to HER job.

I do not have the patience to teach her to drive a stick-shift. That would be a recipe for disaster.
I am personally familiar with 2 family members and acolleague who have had major engine issues with the 3.6 in their JKs. Head issues and roller bearings...all below 80,000 miles. I know this is anecdotal...my Jk never had engine issues but I traded it for the JL before it had 50,000 miles. The 2.0l might turn out to be a nightmare but I’m not sure a bet on the 3.6 will produce better results. As a side note, back in the 80s I purchased dodge cars w/turbo 4 cylinder engines for fleet use. I don’t recall one major engine issue...and they were run to 150,000 miles...when the chassis would rot out. That was 35 years ago... Turbos don’t concern me.....
Me either. I've never owned a vehicle that I've pushed to 150k anyway. After awhile I get bored and want something different.

Longest car I had was a GTI that had 23k on it, a 2.0 turbo. I sold it to carmax with about 130K on it. The only problems I had with it was that a lube place I took it to apparently fucked up a simple oil change and loosened the DSG filter instead. So it leaked all over and I couldn't figure out why, because the oil filter was solid. Took it to a Euro-car specific mechanic who had to take a ton of stuff out of the engine bay to find the leak and clean it up.

Never had a problem with the trannie OR turbo engine that wasn't idiot-related though.

My only gripe with my Jeep's 2.0 turbo is the lag. It's NOTICEABLE when the eTorque isn't engaged bc the AC is running. Nothing nothing nothing BOOM AND WE'RE OFFFFF! lol

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
You are going to get a lot of differing opinions here. I would argue as long as you have a warranty who cares -- but if you plan on keeping it "forever" and past warranty -- I would go with the one that has been iterated on more in the platform which would be the 3.6. That said, the 2.0 is perfectly capable of handling the JL. I also found it more fun to drive than the 3.6 and return better fuel economy (though it's not a HUGE difference). I just happen to not really care about reliability since I knew I would be getting a new one every 3-4 years anyway. My next one will either be the diesel or... if they make it, the hemi.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
In 2009 My father had bought a used Twin Turbo 2007 BMW 3 series in a Manual Transmission that was very sensitive. Within two years, the Turbo gave him issues. Since the car was an import into India, the parts were very hard for him to find. He sold the car to his mechanic friend for a fraction of what he bought. Replaced it with a brand new Diesel 5 Series that he still has. He also had same experience as me: the Turbo Petrol was a lot more fun to drive versus a Diesel but the issues were too much.
yeah, bmw was having turbos issues and it was iether warrantied or a life time replacement due to the x number of turbo problems. its great that bmw is picking up the cost. but who the hell want to keep bringing it in more times than a oil change for a turbo replacements. to me, its not worth it.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Whatever experience anyone has had with a different manufacturer means absolutely nothing when talking about these two engines. A 2007 BMW probably has exactly zero shared parts with the 2.0 or 3.6.

I melted the ring lands off of the piston of my single cylinder motorcycle from fuel washing the cylinder. Conclusion: Gasoline engines aren't reliable. Better get the diesel.

JL Fan

First Name
JL Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Wanted 6spd manual. But still test drove both. The 2.0 felt peppy...I really liked it. But I was/am suspicious of its longevity. I figured the 3.6 only had about 10 gazillion test miles In Jeeps and minivans and every Chrysler vehicle. So I felt like it would be more reliable long term. And I wanted manual.. Then, of course, the recall. Luckily, mine runs great. I’ve got about 16K miles over 14 months. And I love it. I highly recommend the 3.6 with manual. But I did think the 2.0 was a little peppier. Get what you like and good luck!

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I just bought a 2020 JLU with 2.0 turbo 2 weeks ago. Had to drop it off at the dealership on Saturday and was told yesterday that it need a new engine! It has 600 miles on it. WTF
That is crazy, I am sorry to hear that, what was the engine doing? Did they tell you how long it would take to get that done?

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
exact same situation for me as well. I wanted the manual, but my wife needs to be able to drive it as well, because if her car has any problems I have to take it in and she drives the jeep to HER job.

I do not have the patience to teach her to drive a stick-shift. That would be a recipe for disaster.

Me either. I've never owned a vehicle that I've pushed to 150k anyway. After awhile I get bored and want something different.

Longest car I had was a GTI that had 23k on it, a 2.0 turbo. I sold it to carmax with about 130K on it. The only problems I had with it was that a lube place I took it to apparently fucked up a simple oil change and loosened the DSG filter instead. So it leaked all over and I couldn't figure out why, because the oil filter was solid. Took it to a Euro-car specific mechanic who had to take a ton of stuff out of the engine bay to find the leak and clean it up.

Never had a problem with the trannie OR turbo engine that wasn't idiot-related though.

My only gripe with my Jeep's 2.0 turbo is the lag. It's NOTICEABLE when the eTorque isn't engaged bc the AC is running. Nothing nothing nothing BOOM AND WE'RE OFFFFF! lol
But that's the fun part XD.
Sponsored