Sponsored

Black Bear Pass

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
We went down through Grand Junction and back through Moab. 84 to 15 and then Soldier Summit to Price. Hotels this time there and back. Air BnB at Cascade Creek near Purgatory. Would have been nice to have been closer to Silverton, but the house was amazing.
I’m trying to book a place to stay but the options are dwindling. How bad was it to be as far away as Purgatory or even closer to Durango? Just thinking of trying to drive back after a full loop around BB/Imogene and alpine loop.
Sponsored

OP
OP

OldGreen

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps. All Jeeps. LJ, XJ, CJ, WK2
I’m trying to book a place to stay but the options are dwindling. How bad was it to be as far away as Purgatory or even closer to Durango? Just thinking of trying to drive back after a full loop around BB/Imogene and alpine loop.
Not bad. We stayed at Cascade Village last time (2 miles from Purgatory). The drive is fantastic even whe. You do it every day.

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many

Molas is a nice drive, but you really want to stay in Ouray if possible It makes a much nicer base.

Sam

OP
OP

OldGreen

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Molas is a nice drive, but you really want to stay in Ouray if possible It makes a much nicer base.

Sam
I sort of disagree with this. If you get to choose, Silverton is the hub. Ouray is second, then Purgatory.

Sponsored

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Tried for Silverton. Next year I’ll put more planning time in. Or camp. The only option left in Silverton is not ideal.
Can’t wait!

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
I sort of disagree with this. If you get to choose, Silverton is the hub. Ouray is second, then Purgatory.
Agree to disagree. Ouray is closer to Imogene, Corkscrew, Hurricane, California Gulch, Poughkeepsie and Engineer. Running the loops it is more convenient to base in Ouray. Day trips over Black Bear to Telluride and then back over Imogene. Engineer to Lake City and back over Cinnamon, then up California and over Hurricane to Corckscrew which drops you on Red Mountain Pass. Plus out of Ouray you have access to Yankee Boy, Richmond Basin, Governor Basin and Silver Basin. So many ways to run the trails.

Just my 02. I have been trekking the San Juans for 50 years. They have changed quite a bit in that time. The old mines are barely recongnizable anymore. They have been pilfered to the point there isn't a lot showing anymore.

Again, no right or wrong. Just preference.

Sam

OP
OP

OldGreen

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agree to disagree. Ouray is closer to Imogene, Corkscrew, Hurricane, California Gulch, Poughkeepsie and Engineer. Running the loops it is more convenient to base in Ouray. Day trips over Black Bear to Telluride and then back over Imogene. Engineer to Lake City and back over Cinnamon, then up California and over Hurricane to Corckscrew which drops you on Red Mountain Pass. Plus out of Ouray you have access to Yankee Boy, Richmond Basin, Governor Basin and Silver Basin. So many ways to run the trails.

Just my 02. I have been trekking the San Juans for 50 years. They have changed quite a bit in that time. The old mines are barely recongnizable anymore. They have been pilfered to the point there isn't a lot showing anymore.

Sam
Like I said... sort of disagree. I only have 25 years in... have stayed in every area. It just depends on how you lay out your loops. The truth about the San Juans is that you just must go there... it is necessary. Also, prepare for afternoon showers.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
My acrophobia will keep me from trying that trail. I hate it, but I'd be ready for the nut house in short order on that trail! Lol!

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Like I said... sort of disagree. I only have 25 years in... have stayed in every area. It just depends on how you lay out your loops. The truth about the San Juans is that you just must go there... it is necessary. Also, prepare for afternoon showers.

Just maybe not everyone at the same time. HAHA.

The afternoon showers are great, albeit not really happening now. We are going through a really dry spell. The mtns are as dry as I have seen them in a really long time. Pine Ridge fire above us grew 40,000 acres last night. It's at 125,000 acres now. 2nd largest in Co history. It will eclipse the 135K fire of a few years ago. Not exactly what ya want to brag about.

Sam

Sponsored

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel

Sam
Sadly most of the old mines and old buildings have fallen victim of the vandals and reclamation people. I have seen far too many old mines sealed, blasted shut or gated than I can count. In Nevada at the Utah border classic mills, mine buildings have been reduced to rubble. All in the name of conservative and protecting people. This is a trend that sadly will continue and expand.

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Headed to Ouray this coming Thursday if anyone will also be there. Looks like it might be wet as weather is showing 40% chance of rain, hope Black Bear is dry!

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Headed to Ouray this coming Thursday if anyone will also be there. Looks like it might be wet as weather is showing 40% chance of rain, hope Black Bear is dry!
Almost. I’ll be there in 3 weeks.

TheJanitor6203

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2.0 turbo, auto
Just finished a two day jeep excursion through the San Juan’s. Saturday I left my cabin near Creede and drove Engineer Pass from Lake City to Silverton, then took Black Bear Pass to Telluride, the Imogene Pass to Ouray, then took the highway back around to Telluride to camp for the night. Sunday morning I did Ophir Pass back to Silverton, then took the highway back up to Ouray where I took Poughkeepsie Gulch back to Engineer Pass to come home. I’m exhausted but it was a hell of a trip.

To those going soon, as many have noted, finding a place to stay is pretty difficult right now. After failing to find a reasonably priced hotel, I decided to camp. Most of the camp sites are first come first serve and once I started trying to find a site (about 7:30 pm), I had a really hard time. I tried 4 places before finally getting to Priest Lake Campground which is a free one. All the designated sites were full but I just threw my tent up in an open area away from other people. No fire ring for a fire but otherwise, it served its purpose.

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S JL 2 DR 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500
I have a 2019 JL 2Dr Sport with a RTT on a Maximus 3 Rack and a 2.5 inch lift and 35s. The entire RTT setup weighs in at around 275 pounds. With this setup being more top heavy than normal would it be problematic driving Black Bear Pass? I can't remember seeing any RTT rigs on BBP videos.
Sponsored