Sponsored

Steering not locking when ignition turned off

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Never gave it much thought, but noticed that when I turn off ignition the steering isn't locking like all my other vehicles. Can't even recall if it ever did lol, is this something Jeep eliminated and I never noticed, or is it supposed to lock when ignition is off??
Sponsored

bloodwar

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU // 2018 JL 2Door
Somewhere I did see it mentioned that it was removed but I forget where or even why at the moment.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
If you stall on a hill off roading do you want to be able to steer if needed if you're rolling and the power brakes don't work as good either when stalled/engine off? Guessing that might have something to do with why it doesn't lock? Maybe?

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So I assume your JLs don't have steering that locks too?

Sponsored

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks guys! Nice to know I'm not having to make a dealer appt. nor am I losing my mind, lol.

BlueSV650

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I read that this was partially due to the large number of RV people that like to tow their Jeeps. Can't find the article now though. I recall reading that Chrysler even did the same on the Rams because they are popular to tow wheels-down behind RVs.

Swagger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Could it be because of the push button start? I'm pretty sure the steering wheel lock is normally part of and actuated by a column mounted ignition switch. No key in the column = no steering wheel lock?

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I'm chalking this up to something new I learned about my Jeep - mine doesn't lock either. My last DD was an FCA vehicle with push-button start as well, but I know for a fact the steering wheel would lock when it was off.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Could it be because of the push button start? I'm pretty sure the steering wheel lock is normally part of and actuated by a column mounted ignition switch. No key in the column = no steering wheel lock?
Our Infiniti G has a push button start but the steering locks when turned off, makes sense about off-road/towing situations where a locked up wheel may be a problem.

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Nope. My JKU has a key, and it doesn't lock. I drove my mom's van the other day and realized how annoying a locking steering wheel is! Apparently, you can't try to move the steering wheel and turn the ignition. Just a habit of getting my butt situated in the seat :giggle:

mike_b_81

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Nope, my last vehicle was a 2006 GMC Sierra 1500 and it didn’t lock either.

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bikini JLUR 3.0 Diesel, '96 Dodge Cummins 12V, '06 Dodge Cummins Dually
I believe it has to do with the large number of Wranglers that are flat towed behind RV's. You wouldn't want those front wheels locked into a single position. They have to be able to track behind the tow vehicle.

CaptStarboard

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brisbanejeepclub.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon 2.2L TD - "Jacko" Punk'n Orange (Old - 2010 Jeep KK Cherokee)
Roll forward to 2020 JL Rubicon (Australian 2.2TD-8speed Auto)- my steering wheel DOES lock when the vehicle is off (push button starting), Rubicon with all the electric options.

So question and problem is what happens when you need to move and turn the steering wheel of the jeep without being able to start or get power from the battery?

In my case the jeep is in a flat garage having tow harness, trailer brake RedArc and UHF radio (CB type radio) installed. I have my batteries fully disconnected (stop/start models have two) now I need to push my jeep back a bit and turn the wheel to access the front wheel well. Guess what, you can’t without starting it or power!

I found the Emergency Park release strap (under a trim panel cover, right in front of your shift lever, is an orange strap that you pull up the lever and it will disengage you from Park, then pull strap slightly back up and then release to return to Park engaged- ensure chocks or handbrake is on to control vehicle when you trip this release).

But no where can I find out how to release the steering wheel lock without power to the battery! Any experts know this trick?!

For now I’ll just contort myself into a pretzel and get it all installed by rolling back and forth, but not turning the wheels.

Long term I’d love to know my options!

Thanks all!
CaptStarboard

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Roll forward to 2020 JL Rubicon (Australian 2.2TD-8speed Auto)- my steering wheel DOES lock when the vehicle is off (push button starting), Rubicon with all the electric options.

So question and problem is what happens when you need to move and turn the steering wheel of the jeep without being able to start or get power from the battery?

In my case the jeep is in a flat garage having tow harness, trailer brake RedArc and UHF radio (CB type radio) installed. I have my batteries fully disconnected (stop/start models have two) now I need to push my jeep back a bit and turn the wheel to access the front wheel well. Guess what, you can’t without starting it or power!

I found the Emergency Park release strap (under a trim panel cover, right in front of your shift lever, is an orange strap that you pull up the lever and it will disengage you from Park, then pull strap slightly back up and then release to return to Park engaged- ensure chocks or handbrake is on to control vehicle when you trip this release).

But no where can I find out how to release the steering wheel lock without power to the battery! Any experts know this trick?!

For now I’ll just contort myself into a pretzel and get it all installed by rolling back and forth, but not turning the wheels.

Long term I’d love to know my options!

Thanks all!
CaptStarboard
Are you sure it is locked or is it the lack of power steering causing you to be unable to turn the wheel? I'd assume it's the latter, but you are in another country so who knows.
Sponsored