Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
If you took away the syncronizers in the transmission, i bet you would find quite a few complaints. with how bad the stock tune is ,they wont be lasting to long anyway.
As far as I know, every automobile manual transmission since the mid 1960s has had synchros in every gear.
Sponsored

Unkle Fester

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon
any chance something like this could be used to increase mpg? I’m looking to try and get my ranger higher.
when I’m feeling bummed about my MPG, I drive to the top of Mt Evans (14,200ft) and coast downhill to Denver... in my 2016 I had that puppy up to 150 MPG for about 10 minutes... I’ll have to see if I still have a picture of that.

Unkle Fester

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon
when I’m feeling bummed about my MPG, I drive to the top of Mt Evans (14,200ft) and coast downhill to Denver... in my 2016 I had that puppy up to 150 MPG for about 10 minutes... I’ll have to see if I still have a picture of that.
Drive to top of Mountain, reset economy... and then coast over 30 miles downhill.

Voila!

It felt great until I touched the gas pedal...

Jeep Wrangler JL Livernois Mycalibrator Tune Claims 50HP Gains (on E85) for V6 JL Wrangler IMG_9635.JPG

jeepsity

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl 2003 tj
As far as I know, every automobile manual transmission since the mid 1960s has had synchros in every gear.
unless you drive a large truck, they require you you to rev match, try it in your jeep see how it goes .

jeepsity

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl 2003 tj
Sorry - what is “they” in your last sentence?

synchronizers , the brass rings that make it possible to shift into the next gear even tho the gears are turning at different speeds.

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
synchronizers , the brass rings that make it possible to shift into the next gear even tho the gears are turning at different speeds.
Technically, once you clutch in, engine rpm no longer matters. Your synchros are simply matching gear speed to shaft speed. Rev hang has no impact on synchro wear, it's the clutch disc itself that gets overworked when shifting with revs stuck high.

Just an excerpt from "power flow 101"

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
unless you drive a large truck, they require you you to rev match, try it in your jeep see how it goes .
I was careful with my wording, to make sure it said "Automobile".

I don't own a Manual JL, but I have rev-matched & shifted without a clutch in quite a few vehicles (yes, smoothly & without damage). The only Jeep was a 1984 XJ, and it was super easy. I once drove for about 20 miles through light traffic and only used the clutch once or twice. I don't think I ever tried it in the 68 CJ-5, but it was near impossible to drive it smoothly anyway.

jeepsity

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl 2003 tj
I was careful with my wording, to make sure it said "Automobile".

I don't own a Manual JL, but I have rev-matched & shifted without a clutch in quite a few vehicles (yes, smoothly & without damage). The only Jeep was a 1984 XJ, and it was super easy. I once drove for about 20 miles through light traffic and only used the clutch once or twice. I don't think I ever tried it in the 68 CJ-5, but it was near impossible to drive it smoothly anyway.
yes it is doable in the older Jeeps not so much in the manual JL s . which was my point .

BritishGuy

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue, 6sp. (SOLD)
Afternoon all,

I guess it's my turn to put a review up since I've managed to put a few miles on my 2019 JLUR 6MT with this Livernois tune. I've got about 15 miles on the Jeep since installing this so I'm still trying to figure out all the changes and what the differences are, but here goes.

Overall
Product Support: 5/5
Installation Instructions: 4/5
Ease of Installation: 4/5
Tune Performance: 5/5

Here are a few more details and thoughts that went into my Overall scores...
  • Product Support
    • Andy was fantastic in helping me get everything I needed for this to be a super-smooth install and answered all 10,000 of my questions in a very timely manner, often after-hours.
    • Not only that, but he even reached out to me to make sure I was okay after Hurricane Laura came through, thankfully missing Houston. My own mother never checked on me!
  • Installation Instructions
    • Having specific instructions for the Wrangler would be beneficial and reading over them before you do the install helps but might not make sense until you can actually see what's going on under the dash or behind the glove box.
    • A tip on the instructions with how to remove that little white clip from behind the glove box would have been nice, but I got it out in the end after contorting myself with a flashlight in hand.
    • The instructions tell you what to do before hooking up the MyCalibrator, but never actually tell you when to hook it up.
  • Ease of Installation
    • Because the wonderful quality of FCA's PCM wiring harness clamps/connectors, I broke one of their red locks during install. Replacements can be found fairly cheap online from a billion other FCA cars over the past 8-10 years.
  • Tune Performance
    • This is going to be hard to explain and put into words, but here goes...
      • Fuel Type: I'm currently running on 93 octane and won't get E85 until I can run this tank to empty, which given the current situation, is going to take a few weeks.
      • ESS: ESS is now off by default. I actually like this feature enabled and it works very well with the 6MT. I might request to have this turned back on in my tune once it's not 100'F outside everyday.
      • Throttle Response: Much better than stock and all your throttle input appears to actually register now, and the Jeep responds, accordingly. It doesn't just sit there and make a noise.
      • Parking Lot Kangarooing: Some, but not all, of the parking lot kangarooing is gone. There's still some there, but it's much better than it was, and you don't feel like an idiot who can't drive stick at low speeds.
      • Increased HP/TQ: This wasn't as big of a want to me as some of the other items, but there's a definite bump in power that you can feel. Not that it's a good idea to drive your vehicle like you stole it, but peeling out in 1st is no problem and I can hold a pretty good scratch in 2nd too. Accelerating to get on the freeway is noticeably quicker as well. I'm looking forward to trying out the E85 side of things.
      • Rev Hang: Still there but it doesn't bother me that much. I believe they're working with somebody local to try to see what they can do about this? Would be a nice fix in the future if it can be tuned out, even if just a little bit and with other needed accessories, like a catch can.
      • Drivability: This is the biggest thing for me and this alone is worth the price of admission. Before the tune, it's almost as though the engine had a terrible timing issue and was just bouncing around and vibrating in the engine bay, making all those vibrations travel to you in the cabin. Now this engine is super smooth and there's no longer any vibrations at all - it's just smooth and 100x more refined. It feels like a completely different motor under the hood. It's like CBD for your Jeep, it was once full of anxiety and stress and didn't know what to do. Introduce the Livernois tune and she's now happy, stress free, and ready for years of pavement and dirt trails beneath her wheels.
So what's my next step or other thoughts that I have about this? I'm going to try to put some more miles on this so I can fill up with E85 and give that a whirl. Other than that, I'm extremely happy with how this is performing and have zero regrets or buyer's remorse. If I totaled this Jeep and bought another, this would be the first thing I'd get for the new one. It's just fantastic compared to the tune FCA gives us from the factory. Well done, @Livernois Motorsports , you've got one hell of a product here!

I also want to say thanks @VerservJL for answering some other questions I had, especially during the install and when trying to figure a few things out.

Thanks for everything,
Matt

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Afternoon all,

I guess it's my turn to put a review up since I've managed to put a few miles on my 2019 JLUR 6MT with this Livernois tune. I've got about 15 miles on the Jeep since installing this so I'm still trying to figure out all the changes and what the differences are, but here goes.

Overall

• Product Support
    • Andy was fantastic in helping me get everything I needed for this to be a super-smooth install and answered all 10,000 of my questions in a very timely manner, often after-hours.
    • Not only that, but he even reached out to me to make sure I was okay after Hurricane Laura came through, thankfully missing Houston. My own mother never checked on me!
    • Having specific instructions for the Wrangler would be beneficial and reading over them before you do the install helps but might not make sense until you can actually see what's going on under the dash or behind the glove box.
    • A tip on the instructions with how to remove that little white clip from behind the glove box would have been nice, but I got it out in the end after contorting myself with a flashlight in hand.
    • The instructions tell you what to do before hooking up the MyCalibrator, but never actually tell you when to hook it up.
  • Ease of Installation
    • Because the wonderful quality of FCA's PCM wiring harness clamps/connectors, I broke one of their red locks during install. Replacements can be found fairly cheap online from a billion other FCA cars over the past 8-10 years.
  • Tune Performance
      • Fuel Type: I'm currently running on 93 octane and won't get E85 until I can run this tank to empty, which given the current situation, is going to take a few weeks.
      • ESS: ESS is now off by default. I actually like this feature enabled and it works very well with the 6MT. I might request to have this turned back on in my tune once it's not 100'F outside everyday.
      • Throttle Response: Much better than stock and all your throttle input appears to actually register now, and the Jeep responds, accordingly. It doesn't just sit there and make a noise.
      • Parking Lot Kangarooing: Some, but not all, of the parking lot kangarooing is gone. There's still some there, but it's much better than it was, and you don't feel like an idiot who can't drive stick at low speeds.
      • Increased HP/TQ: This wasn't as big of a want to me as some of the other items, but there's a definite bump in power that you can feel. Not that it's a good idea to drive your vehicle like you stole it, but peeling out in 1st is no problem and I can hold a pretty good scratch in 2nd too. Accelerating to get on the freeway is noticeably quicker as well. I'm looking forward to trying out the E85 side of things.
      • Rev Hang: Still there but it doesn't bother me that much. I believe they're working with somebody local to try to see what they can do about this? Would be a nice fix in the future if it can be tuned out, even if just a little bit and with other needed accessories, like a catch can.
      • Drivability: This is the biggest thing for me and this alone is worth the price of admission. Before the tune, it's almost as though the engine had a terrible timing issue and was just bouncing around and vibrating in the engine bay, making all those vibrations travel to you in the cabin. Now this engine is super smooth and there's no longer any vibrations at all - it's just smooth and 100x more refined. It feels like a completely different motor under the hood. It's like CBD for your Jeep, it was once full of anxiety and stress and didn't know what to do. Introduce the Livernois tune and she's now happy, stress free, and ready for years of pavement and dirt trails beneath her wheels.
So what's my next step or other thoughts that I have about this? I'm going to try to put some more miles on this so I can fill up with E85 and give that a whirl. Other than that, I'm extremely happy with how this is performing and have zero regrets or buyer's remorse. If I totaled this Jeep and bought another, this would be the first thing I'd get for the new one. It's just fantastic compared to the tune FCA gives us from the factory. Well done, @Livernois Motorsports , you've got one hell of a product here!

I also want to say thanks @VerservJL for answering some other questions I had, especially during the install and when trying to figure a few things out.

Thanks for everything,
Matt
Looking forward to updates every few hundred miles or so. Thanks!

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Afternoon all,

Overall

• Product Support
  • Ease of Installation
  • Tune Performance

Thanks for everything,
Matt
thanks for the 6 speed review.
I will likely pull the trigger once (if?) the rev hang issue is figured out. I agreethat more power is always nice, but the drivability is key.

Livernois Motorsports

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Moab/2021 392 Rubicon
Afternoon all,

Overall

• Product Support
  • Ease of Installation
  • Tune Performance

Thanks for everything,
Matt

Thanks for the feedback! I know we've got to get the rev hang stuff checked off on the list, and hopefully we will soon!

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sportaharacon
After almost a month with my tuner, I will say it takes a decent amount of miles to get acclimated. I have gone back to stock a couple of times for service and it take 100-200 miles for the tunes to get settled. It is noticeably smoother as time goes on.....also still great.
Sponsored