Sponsored

Looking into a JLU EcoDiesel order - so anyone on here actually have a good experience with the engine?

KSpider

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi E-tron (x2) ’21, Rubicon 4xe Nacho (on order)
Is this the typical everyone with an issue comes online to post about it, and the majority of owners of the Diesel haven't had issues? Or should I actually be worried about this engine?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jludiesel334

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU ecoDIESEL ( on order 11-27)
I’ve had no problem with mine. Currently 4K miles. I don’t drive it much as compared to others, but it seems to be strong and efficient.

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
I’ve had no problem with mine. Currently 4K miles. I don’t drive it much as compared to others, but it seems to be strong and efficient.
Same here, but I have already added 4 gallons of DEF since putting on 4K miles . . . a bit more than I was expecting, but certainly not a big deal to me.

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel
Such a jaded question. Seems like you read a few posts from people having issues with the diesels and assumed that it's endemic across all of them. People come to forums to get information - many times on problems. Go check out a Toyota Corolla forum. Plenty of issues there too. Every vehicle has its share of problems, and the Wrangler is no exception.

It's wise to research a vehicle before making a big financial investment. But no matter what vehicle you're researching, if you look at forums for that vehicle you're going to find a whole slew of problems. That's what forums are for.

Sorry to be salty about it. Kind of.

On to your question. The EcoDiesel is a fantastic engine. Early on, I thought I had an issue. It turned out to just be a plastic label that was too close to my exhaust and started smoking as smoldered off. That's the only problem I've had. Hardly a problem at all. The engine is super smooth, has plenty of low-end grunt, has no problems getting up to speed or maintaining it, has zero diesel smell, and isn't obnoxiously noisy like other diesel vehicles.

OP
OP
KSpider

KSpider

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi E-tron (x2) ’21, Rubicon 4xe Nacho (on order)
Such a jaded question. Seems like you read a few posts from people having issues with the diesels and assumed that it's endemic across all of them. People come to forums to get information - many times on problems. Go check out a Toyota Corolla forum. Plenty of issues there too. Every vehicle has its share of problems, and the Wrangler is no exception.

It's wise to research a vehicle before making a big financial investment. But no matter what vehicle you're researching, if you look at forums for that vehicle you're going to find a whole slew of problems. That's what forums are for.

Sorry to be salty about it. Kind of.

On to your question. The EcoDiesel is a fantastic engine. Early on, I thought I had an issue. It turned out to just be a plastic label that was too close to my exhaust and started smoking as smoldered off. That's the only problem I've had. Hardly a problem at all. The engine is super smooth, has plenty of low-end grunt, has no problems getting up to speed or maintaining it, has zero diesel smell, and isn't obnoxiously noisy like other diesel vehicles.
[/QUOTE

I am very familiar with auto forums, that is why I stated my question how I did. I just wanted a few people to confirm my suspicion that most people don’t have problems with this engine.

Sponsored

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel
Understood. I could have been less salty. Sorry.

You are correct - you're seeing the handful of issues people are having, but I think by and large most diesel owners are happy.

MeekoDiesel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD Sting Gray , 1948 Willys CJ2A , 1976 Chevy C10 , 1998 Honda Civic
Occupation
Nuclear Operations Technician - Shearon Harris Nuclear Station
Is this the typical everyone with an issue comes online to post about it, and the majority of owners of the Diesel haven't had issues? Or should I actually be worried about this engine?

Had ours for a little over 1 month and 2k miles. I have driven a 2020 Rubicon with the 3.6 the 2.0 and now our 3.0D and can say that the 3.0 is fantastic. It is so smooth and effortlessly pushes this 5000lb Jeep around, totally under stressed.

The 3.6 is a great power plant for simplicity and gets the job done but fuel mileage is not great compared to the diesel and you have to ring it out pretty good to get the Jeep to hustle.

The 2.0 makes good power but there is a reason they don't offer it in the Gladiator for towing, it is tuned for maximum output already and cooling it while towing heavy-ish would be a problem. We needed ours to be good towing.

Our 3.0D gets 26-27 mpg in mixed driving, and returned 23 mpg towing a jetski (~1200 lbs w/trailer and fuel) at 70 mph on a 50 min ride to the lake. Pretty impressive for a moving brick on 33in mud tires. Since this engine can tow up to 12,600lb in the Ram it won't break a sweat in the Wranglers towing 3.5k. One of the main reasons for us getting the diesel is we wanted to able to tow a trailer (camping trailer with gear / rooftop tent) all over the US and we knew that diesels really shine in fuel economy compared to their gas counterparts when they are towing.

Bottom line, so far we love it and will not go back to either of the other engines having driven the diesel. 442 ft-lbs is a beautiful thing. Hope this helps!

Jeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD 06 Corvette. 16 FLTRU
Occupation
Lighthouse Keeper, Retired Electrical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Had my JLURD since April, 5k miles on it now. Zero issues. Couple of long trips, but mostly around town driving. Engine is strong and efficient, 24 mpg around town, 32 mpg at 60, 29 mpg on the interstate.

Sponsored

VABarn

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5, 2020 JLURD
I can add my vote to the "no issues here, and love it" category. I got mine in Dec '19, and have ~4100 miles on it. Zero problems. I added DEF the day I picked it up, and I still have >50% of it left. 50/50 driving, averaging 24 MPG

Bud90

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 JKU
I’ve had the jeep since the end of April just over 4000 miles lI’m running on 37’s averaging about 22 miles to the gallon love it so far the torque is incredible Done a couple of 500 mile trips and it’s comfortable
I’m coming from at 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with 35s with a 3.8liter gas 6spd
Diesel is great
I hope I won’t have to eat those words

5B391B6C-EB7B-4834-B6D0-75F117D7FC63.jpeg

03290C64-7277-4480-88F4-492514DF5B10.jpeg

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Obviously more people are going to be happy. It's the ratio of problems:no problems that you need to keep an eye on. The EcoDiesel has a greater ratio of problems than the gas engines do. That's even true of the 2020s. It's just the way it is.

Maintain warranty coverage as long as you can, and keep a good relationship with your dealership. Then drive it and enjoy it.

UTES

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Diesel Sahara, 2018 AMG GT, 2019 MB GLC
Occupation
Retired LEO
My '20 Diesel Jeep has become my favorite of the 10 off-road Jeeps I've owned over the last forty years. And, zero problems with outstanding (for a Jeep) MPG.

Hunter