Sponsored

Question regarding the Windsheld defrost

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
The plugs work pretty good, but sometimes blow out on cold startups and turbines blowing on full. My brother and I are working on a 3d printed solution and hopefully takes it up another level.
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I still haven't picked up a 3d printer but this is one of the items on my list to address once I get one.
Sponsored

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
So I got the "operating as designed" from the dealer today, They said the Star case that's referenced in this thread is if there is a blockage. They didn't see any blockage in mine, so that's how it works.

Moreace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
The plugs work pretty good, but sometimes blow out on cold startups and turbines blowing on full. My brother and I are working on a 3d printed solution and hopefully takes it up another level.
Still working on this project?

Beer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 f250 Lariat, 2019 Corvette Z06
Hello Jeep community. I Ordered a 2021 Rubicon on 7-18-20 and it will be my second Jeep. I had a 1973 Jeepster commando which was a great off roader mostly beaches for me but back then I had this same problem with defrosting. It's amazing that this problem still exists. Does anyone know if this has been addressed for 2021 Jeeps? I know nobody has one yet (I think) but has anyone heard anything at all on 2021's ? I'll be getting up pics and descriptions when it arrives which probably won't be too soon. Very nice Forum you guys have here.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Hello Jeep community. I Ordered a 2021 Rubicon on 7-18-20 and it will be my second Jeep. I had a 1973 Jeepster commando which was a great off roader mostly beaches for me but back then I had this same problem with defrosting. It's amazing that this problem still exists. Does anyone know if this has been addressed for 2021 Jeeps? I know nobody has one yet (I think) but has anyone heard anything at all on 2021's ? I'll be getting up pics and descriptions when it arrives which probably won't be too soon. Very nice Forum you guys have here.
I doubt it has been fixed. I´d take a look at the simple solutions from the forum here. I used the little plugs I think from Amazon on mine and it works as intended. Problem solved.

This is indeed a great forum with great people. Rarely is there anyone that causes issues and they are all quick to help with resources and ideas. It is probably the best forum community I´ve ever seen. Welcome aboard! We look forward to seeing pics of your Jeep!

Sponsored

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
Now that Spring is here I am starting to plan for next winter. I am thinking of going with this solution if possible and cutting it so it goes from one side of the windshield to the other.

https://www.frostfighter.com/clear-view-front-wiper-defrosters.htm

Single Piece Front Windshield Defroster – Wiper Parking Area
1206-4871-L-FWH-HD
recommendation on that vendor's website:

Jeep Wrangler JL Question regarding the Windsheld defrost 1596213888760

* Unless you have a Jeep and can just fold the windshield down for installation. :CWL:

dapipp

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Wrangler X (TJ), 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ), 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (JL)
recommendation on that vendor's website:

I talked to the vendor and they made that statement mostly for curved windshields. They had no concerns with me putting that kit on a jeep. They said that they have a lot of remote ranches that put the rear defrost kit on the front window. While it may not be DOT compliant with all those lines going across the windshield the ranchers point out they are basically utility vehicles and rarely go on paved roads.

Based on that I figured I could get by with a few lines across the bottom. I am pretty sure I will need to pull the top of the dash of to get the wiring to the bottom of the windshield.

NCIC105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I'm getting closer to a final defrost modification setup. You'll see in the photos that I my last task is to shape the air flow a bit more on the passenger side but overall a huge improvement over oem. Once it's finalized I'll paint it black and make two more sets for my wife's and sister's JL.
I used 1/16" x 3/4" aluminum and used a metal punch to place the holes.

Did you make a pattern so you can reproduce this for sale?

NCIC105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
How did the 3D printing come out

Lou_JLU

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara, 2019 JL Wrangler Sahara
Did you make a pattern so you can reproduce this for sale?
In post 398 I provide the dimensions for what I made. Coupled with #391 you should be able to make it up quickly. A few dollars in aluminum stock from home depot/Ace Hardware, some zip ties and the metal punch which you'll continue to find uses for is all you need.

Sponsored

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
I picked up a 3d printer and this is on my list to print up a solution. I have a design in mind and I am hoping it will be relatively seamless. The plan, initially, was to replicate the solution provided by the plugs but make it more refined instead of having singular plugs, it would be strips that cover multiple holes. I have to read back through the thread and decide how long/how many holes would be optimal to cover. Also, with Lou's solution, I am wondering if holes in the blockage plates would be better than closing them entirely. Unfortunately, I am really unable to test any designs until the weather gets colder.

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro SS
I bought a 20 pack of the black 5/8" plugs to try out, but about half of mine flew out as soon as I turned the fan speed to 2 or higher.

Yes I had them pushed in all the way and I even tried to wrap the bottom in electrical tape to make a tighter fit. The electrical tape helped a bit, but most just worked their way loose after a day or two.

I'm going to try some 3/4" plugs next. I bought 50 of them for less than what I paid for 20 of the 5/8" plugs.

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
Any news on upgraded plugs models?

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a 20 pack of the black 5/8" plugs to try out, but about half of mine flew out as soon as I turned the fan speed to 2 or higher.

Yes I had them pushed in all the way and I even tried to wrap the bottom in electrical tape to make a tighter fit. The electrical tape helped a bit, but most just worked their way loose after a day or two.

I'm going to try some 3/4" plugs next. I bought 50 of them for less than what I paid for 20 of the 5/8" plugs.
Did the 3/4" work? :) TIA
Sponsored