Tire Carrier for 37inch tire

jreynaud

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon
Hey guys im new to the forum and the whole Jeep community. I am replacing the stock tires and wheels from my 2018-4 door JL Rubicon with 37 inch tires on 17X9 Fuel wheels. What do you guys recommend for the tire carrier? Thank you for your time.
Sponsored

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
Welcome

Three common options are

A re-enforcement for the tailgate sheetmetal combined with a replacement for the factory tire carrier that lifts the tire to allow for more space
A replacement carrier that also replaces the factory tailgate hinges
A bumper mounted tire carrier option on an aftermarket bumper

I went for the bumper mounted option and use an LOD rear bumper w/tire carrier

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the Metalcloak Sportgate tire carrier. It basically combines tailgate reinforcement with a whole new adjustable tire carrier. It does include a provision for the back-up camera but does not include a third brake light. Metalcloak offers a third brake light separately, but I went with an LED ring inside the spare tire.

This tire carrier has been and is rock solid, at a much cheaper price than the MOPAR and others. It allows for a lot of adjustability (in/out and up/down) so you can get the backside of the spare tire firmly against the stock spare tire bumpers.

The only negative (if you can call it that) is you can't use stock wheels with it due to the stock offset.

I've had it on for the last 5k miles and been over many trails and there is no rattling or shaking from the tire. Metalcloak rates the Sportgate as being able to support 150lbs. It is a very easy install too.
Jeep Wrangler JL Tire Carrier for 37inch tire IMG_5240

Jeep Wrangler JL Tire Carrier for 37inch tire IMG_5243

Sponsored

HammerTime

First Name
Clifford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Wrangler, 2017 Ram Power Wagon, 2015 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
Hey guys im new to the forum and the whole Jeep community. I am replacing the stock tires and wheels from my 2018-4 door JL Rubicon with 37 inch tires on 17X9 Fuel wheels. What do you guys recommend for the tire carrier? Thank you for your time.
I went with the Mopar stuff. Ask your dealer for a 20% discount on the parts. After that, pretty reasonable!

I have the upgraded hinges and tire carrier with 35" MTRs. So far, no issues!

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
The Maximus 3 carrier is one stout mother, engineered extremely well. Lots of modular options for mounting hi-lift / rotopax, etc, if you want those things. Highly recommend.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Jeep Wrangler JL Tire Carrier for 37inch tire JL spar

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the Smittybilt HD tire carrier. I liked that it was not a reinforcement bracket, but replaced the hinges and bolts to the frame. You can also get a hi lift jack mount for it. The mount is also very adjustable and you can move your wheel around based on its size and desired position. It even has a fastback position.

9CBA110B-02E6-4EE1-AE2E-D78DCA32BAA0.jpeg

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
While I don’t own it, I have heard good things about the LOD bumper mounted carrier. Obviously, you would need to replace your bumper too. They system is modular and you can bolt on other things (fuel cans, jacks, trail baskets etc)..... it is on my “buy” when I can afford it list.....

Sponsored

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR GCM
Build Thread
Link
Which fuel wheels did you go with?

BCalvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys JLU, 1996 Porsche 993, 2007 Hummer H3
I did the Mopar reinforcement and Teraflex re-locator. I really like the way they both work together.

Here is a photo with a 35" for now but it adjusts for your size.
(looks funny as it was the first thing I did before lift/wheels/tires.)

I had bumper mounted on another Jeep and hated having two gates to open and it swinging around. This is the way to go in my opinion.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tire Carrier for 37inch tire DSCF2307.JPG

OP
OP
jreynaud

jreynaud

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon
Welcome

Three common options are

A re-enforcement for the tailgate sheetmetal combined with a replacement for the factory tire carrier that lifts the tire to allow for more space
A replacement carrier that also replaces the factory tailgate hinges
A bumper mounted tire carrier option on an aftermarket bumper

I went for the bumper mounted option and use an LOD rear bumper w/tire carrier
Thank you for taking the time. I really appreciate the feedback. Sounds like I have some research to do.

OP
OP
jreynaud

jreynaud

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon
I went with the Metalcloak Sportgate tire carrier. It basically combines tailgate reinforcement with a whole new adjustable tire carrier. It does include a provision for the back-up camera but does not include a third brake light. Metalcloak offers a third brake light separately, but I went with an LED ring inside the spare tire.

This tire carrier has been and is rock solid, at a much cheaper price than the MOPAR and others. It allows for a lot of adjustability (in/out and up/down) so you can get the backside of the spare tire firmly against the stock spare tire bumpers.

The only negative (if you can call it that) is you can't use stock wheels with it due to the stock offset.

I've had it on for the last 5k miles and been over many trails and there is no rattling or shaking from the tire. Metalcloak rates the Sportgate as being able to support 150lbs. It is a very easy install too.

Love your setup.
Sponsored