Sponsored

Have any of you swapped your brand new stock tires as soon as your vehicle was delivered?

RDiddy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 manual Sahara
I had thought that I read here or there of people getting either their dealer or a tire shop to give them credit towards a more expensive tire purchase by trading in their brand new from factory stock tires from their wrangler and purchasing a higher quality / better tire like the KO2 or what have you.

I proposed this today to the salesman at the dealership where I am currently awaiting a brand new Sahara on order. The look on his face looked like he was holding back laughter... am I out to lunch or is this an unreasonable request?

Thanks
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I replaced the OE 32” Bridgestone Duelers with a set of 33” BFG KO2s one week after taking delivery of my Jeep.

I didn’t bother going through the dealer; I went through Discount Tire. They carry a wider variety of tire brands, types and sizes, offer competitive prices, and include free repairs, balancing and rotations for the life of the tires.

And unlike my Jeep dealer, the staff at Discount Tire looks happy to see me.

Jeep Wrangler JL Have any of you swapped your brand new stock tires as soon as your vehicle was delivered? 1597456205084

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
@aldo98229 Did Discount Tire do a trade in of some sort for your tires?

@RDiddy If you’re already thinking about tires I would make the change. I thought I was gonna run my Kevlars to the ground and changed them for Duratracs after 2 weeks. I got sick of the ride on them pretty quickly. If a shop around you doesn’t do trade ins I would try to sell your tires to someone you know with a Jeep. You’re not going to get a lot of money but it’ll soften the new tire cash blow a bit and will get them off your hands quick. A lot of people don’t get it’s a low market for tires so if you offer all 5 for $300-400 they’ll jump on it even if they don’t need tires right away. Win win for both seller and buyer.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
@Strommen95

Yes, they gave me $50/tire, or $250 off the bill. That’s been their standard rate over the years. They resell each tire for $75-$100, so that seems fair.

BFG also had a $10 rebate/tire, and Discount Tire gave me no interest for six months if I paid with their credit card.

Sponsored

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
my daughter's jeep is still being built (or on the way, depending on who you talk to). I bought a set of 5 new wheels and TPMS sensors for her jeep....made a deal with the salesman that they would keep the factory wheels and tires and supply a set of 5 bfg ko2's of the rubi size (has a sport s ordered)..the weren't hesitant a bit to do the swap

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
While I didn’t do this at the dealer, I am aware of Folks doing a tire/rim swap of some kind at the dealer on delivery. i am unaware of the (Net) fees involved and how they might differ from just going to a tire chain (and getting some credit for the stock tires).

OP
OP
RDiddy

RDiddy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 manual Sahara
Lol. I love your enthusiasm and excitement. Too bad the dealer doesn’t share it. If you want to swap out your tires and wheels for a new set, do it.
I am excited because this is my first Jeep and it should be being built as we speak. Plus my current vehicle is a hunk of crap and it's high time for it to retire!

OP
OP
RDiddy

RDiddy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 manual Sahara
I replaced the OE 32” Bridgestone Duelers with a set of 33” BFG KO2s one week after taking delivery of my Jeep.

I didn’t bother going through the dealer; I went through Discount Tire. They carry a wider variety of tire brands, types and sizes, offer competitive prices, and include free repairs, balancing and rotations for the life of the tires.

And unlike my Jeep dealer, the staff at Discount Tire looks happy to see me.

1597456205084.jpeg
Thanks for the reply and pictures! That's the exact combo I am looking to get. What did you do with the stock tires that came with your jeep?

Edit: saw after I replied that you said you traded them for credit. Thanks again

OP
OP
RDiddy

RDiddy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 manual Sahara
@aldo98229 Did Discount Tire do a trade in of some sort for your tires?

@RDiddy If you’re already thinking about tires I would make the change. I thought I was gonna run my Kevlars to the ground and changed them for Duratracs after 2 weeks. I got sick of the ride on them pretty quickly. If a shop around you doesn’t do trade ins I would try to sell your tires to someone you know with a Jeep. You’re not going to get a lot of money but it’ll soften the new tire cash blow a bit and will get them off your hands quick. A lot of people don’t get it’s a low market for tires so if you offer all 5 for $300-400 they’ll jump on it even if they don’t need tires right away. Win win for both seller and buyer.
Thank you, that's a good idea. I will list them for sale as the dealer flat out said no we won't do that.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RDiddy

RDiddy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 manual Sahara
my daughter's jeep is still being built (or on the way, depending on who you talk to). I bought a set of 5 new wheels and TPMS sensors for her jeep....made a deal with the salesman that they would keep the factory wheels and tires and supply a set of 5 bfg ko2's of the rubi size (has a sport s ordered)..the weren't hesitant a bit to do the swap
That's more or less how I pictured it working, then they rolled me out of there like I kicked their dog lol. I guess I will sell the take offs privately

Do you happen to have a link to the new rims you went with, and the TPMS sensors?

Thanks for your feedback

OP
OP
RDiddy

RDiddy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 manual Sahara
While I didn’t do this at the dealer, I am aware of Folks doing a tire/rim swap of some kind at the dealer on delivery. i am unaware of the (Net) fees involved and how they might differ from just going to a tire chain (and getting some credit for the stock tires).
So if I am reading this correctly you would expect that only a tire store would offer credit on the unused stock tires, but a dealership wouldn't?

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
So if I am reading this correctly you would expect that only a tire store would offer credit on the unused stock tires, but a dealership wouldn't?
Nope, that not what I am saying.

i am saying:
1) I am aware of folks doing what you are suggesting AT at a dealer —- it is possible —- but
2) I don’t know what the net costs are or how they might differ from a tire chain store.

OP
OP
RDiddy

RDiddy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 manual Sahara
Nope, that not what I am saying.

i am saying:
1) I am aware of folks doing what you are suggesting AT at a dealer —- it is possible —- but
2) I don’t know what the net costs are or how they might differ from a tire chain store.
Hmm, I guess I just got unlucky that my dealer declined. I will look at other options / tire stores, or sell them privately.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the reply and pictures! That's the exact combo I am looking to get. What did you do with the stock tires that came with your jeep?

Edit: saw after I replied that you said you traded them for credit. Thanks again
I kept the stock wheels; that’s them on the pic.
Sponsored