Sponsored

Mopar LCA swap

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Instead of using a ratchet strap to line up the new arms with the mounts, use a floor jack under the axle on the side you're working on. Usually it takes a little bit of lowering the jack to get the holes to align. I start the LCA removal process by having the axle on jack stands (for tire/wheel removal) and then removing the stand on the side I'm working on and replace it with my floor jack so I can manipulate the axle for LCA installation.

Since the upper arms are still attached, the axle will move in an arc (up and down) and the movement of the floor jack allows the axle to move naturally for easy hole alignment. Typically, as you let the jack down so the (axle moves downward), this lengthens the distance between the control arm and axle mount, which is what you want when installing longer LCA's. When you use a ratchet strap, you're fighting against the bushings and track bar in a linear fashion and the axle doesn't want to move like that since the TB is still attached.

Now when you do track bar replacements, a ratchet strap is the perfect device to use to get the TB aligned with the axle mount (assuming you attach the TB at the frame end first). This is due the TB being use to locate the axle laterally (side to side) and you aren't fighting against the suspension.
Good stuff. I would have, but I don’t have any of these. A good neighbor passing by had a ratchet strap in his truck though.
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Swapped in the Mopar lift LCA’s today after installing my Dynatrac EnduroSport 2” lift with .5” Teraflex leveling spacers in the front. The control arms themselves took maybe 10, 15 minutes. Lined right up with a little pushing.

B0F3A0C9-07D1-413C-84AC-3B413A09F012.jpeg

69FA4C78-E345-4D25-ABEA-9A148D4C9A7A.jpeg

8D0731B3-A488-499B-9B6C-BD22607F248B.jpeg

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
Is there a part number for the left and right lca? I only saw one number for 30 something bucks. It doesn't come as a pair does it?

Sponsored

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
Thanks. I think I also need the rubber isolators at the top of the spring. Cut them when I put in rc spacer lift but seems like I will need them for the dynatrac lift if I go that route.

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
2 week update post mopar LCA swap On 2018 JLUR. No negative effects after 500+ miles 50:50 interstate @70 and in town. I rechecked the torque and 1 required about 45 degrees to click @190ft-lb. caster was still 6.7-6.8 using rollover.
today I added the 3/4” spacers to the front to level it better. I have a winch an mid length steel LOD with bull bar. I had to adjust the drag link about 1 turn to recenter the steering wheel. The caster now measures 6.2.

XxsullyxX123

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2020 Honda Pilot Touring
Did a set of these on my stock JLUR Recon. Really tightens things up especially at higher speeds. Uninstall was a snap with my Milwaukee M18 impact, although I did remove the FAD skid plate for more clearance to get my socket on there because I dont have open ended wrenches Over 18mm. Torquing the bolts down was really tough. Much harder (and obviously much higher torque) than I remember it being on my JKUR when I did LCA’s. My Wrench only goes up to 150ft pounds so I got them to that (stepping on them) and then turned a little more. Going to check the torque when I install them with my bro in law on his jeep since he’s got a 200ftlb torque wrench That he’ll bring over.

Dano36

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Rubicon, 2016 Torch Red Corvette, 2018 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Whatever it takes.
Just did the Mopar LCA's today along with a front end alignment. Shop works on a ton of jeeps and said that I had a lot of toe in from the factory. Now I can drive around town with two fingers on the wheel. Very noticeable improvement for not a lot of money.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Just did the Mopar LCA's today along with a front end alignment. Shop works on a ton of jeeps and said that I had a lot of toe in from the factory. Now I can drive around town with two fingers on the wheel. Very noticeable improvement for not a lot of money.
Is your Cherokee red too? Nice group!

Sponsored

Dano36

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Rubicon, 2016 Torch Red Corvette, 2018 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Whatever it takes.
No, it belongs to the wife who does not share my passion for red vehicles!

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
Just ordered mine, I'll probably wait until I get the green light for the new steering box from the dealer before install. I just got back from a round trip from Colorado to Oklahoma and back, while driving through NM, TX and OK my service stability system light came on both ways due to a consent pull to the right, I had to keep my steering wheel at about the 10 o'clock position through those states, rolled back into Colorado and even though it was warm here the pull almost went away. This is crazy, I have an appointment on Friday with the dealer to get them to to agree to replace the steering box. They have been pretty awesome so far and hopefully they don't give me any "upgrade" issues. I am running a true 2 inch lift and 35's nothing else.

Because of this issue while in OK I had an alignment done at a local dealer and it was all with in specs but on the low side (caster was in the mid 4's) and I had him adjust my toe a bit. Then same thing happened on the return trip. I've got to get it dialed in, mostly an issue at highway speed. I wheel quite a bit but nothing that justifies the price of adjustable LCA's right now and I don't plan on going bigger anytime soon, well maybe 37's on the next set of tires!!)

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I wanted to report back after the installation of the longer Mopar control arms. Though my Rubicon did not suffer badly from steering wander initially, lately it had started to become more noticeable.

In conjunction with the LCAs, @rustyshakelford installed a new @Metalcloak trackbar, drag link, and tie-rod and a Synergy track bar steering sector brace. I had already replaced the stock steering stabilizer with a Fox model and Synergy relocation kit.

I can happily report the steering is vastly different and is now firmer with no wander. While we did not check the caster prior to the upgrade, it is now 6.4° (left) and 6.3° (right)--the OEM angle was likely in the 4.5° to 5° range. The LCAs may have a more pronounced impact on my caster angle due to the fact my Rubicon is not lifted.

In any event and until I install a lift kit which will include adjustable upper and lower LCAs, the longer Mopar LCAs were the best $60 I have spent.

dXCkGf.jpg

grandsrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
What is your new Toe setting?

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
Does this sound right? Please check my reasoning.

For a total toe of 0.21 degrees, with a 35” tire, the measured distance between the rear of the front tires and the front of the tires, would be:

tan 0.21 = X/35”. X = 0.126”

For accuracy, carefully draw lines on the tire treads as you spin the wheels. This requires something to brace the pen or pencil against.
Sponsored