Bad Factory Weld on front lower control arm bracket

greyt4us

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
While doing the lift on my 2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon we found that there was a bad factory weld on the front lower control arm bracket. We took the jeep into Antioch Jeep Chrysler Dodge in California. They took photos and sent in to be reviewed as a warranty. Of course they came back and denied repair due to the modificications done to the Jeep. If it wasn't for us doing a modification to the Jeep we would never of found that a weld was completly missed at the factory. URRGGG. Any suggestions on how to go at Jeep for this with out loosing my temper on them?
Sponsored

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
While doing the lift on my 2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon we found that there was a bad factory weld on the front lower control arm bracket. We took the jeep into Antioch Jeep Chrysler Dodge in California. They took photos and sent in to be reviewed as a warranty. Of course they came back and denied repair due to the modificications done to the Jeep. If it wasn't for us doing a modification to the Jeep we would never of found that a weld was completly missed at the factory. URRGGG. Any suggestions on how to go at Jeep for this with out loosing my temper on them?

Seems about 10 minutes with a flap disc and a welder will fix it to your standard.

I'm all for Jeep holding the responsibility but weldering it back up is a short ordeal for the piece of mind.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Exactly!! If we had not done it we wouldn't of found it.
doesnt matter. it has nothing to do with your lift. they need to prove the lift kit caused the issue, which is impossible, they need to fix your weld. take it to another dealer.

OP
OP

greyt4us

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Seems about 10 minutes with a flap disc and a welder will fix it to your standard.

I'm all for Jeep holding the responsibility but weldering it back up is a short ordeal for the piece of mind.
If it was only that simple, but there is some penetration in the weld as well, so it will have to be grinded out, welded and painted. Yes I have pics at home. The weld A looks like a 2 year old did it and B is on either side of the bracket not on the seem. GRRR

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
If it was only that simple, but there is some penetration in the weld as well, so it will have to be grinded out, welded and painted. Yes I have pics at home. The weld A looks like a 2 year old did it and B is on either side of the bracket not on the seem. GRRR

I'm guessing that was a 2018 thing because mine has crappy welds all over the place. I have one of my lower control arm brackets that is missing 3" of weld compared to the other side. It doesn't mean it is going to come off.

So pics may help see both sides of the story.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
check out
Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act

do some research, I think it supports your case. read it, find the support, and cite it and tell them they need to fix your weld, or prove in writing how a bad factory weld is related to an aftermarket suspension.

OP
OP

greyt4us

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
I'm guessing that was a 2018 thing because mine has crappy welds all over the place. I have one of my lower control arm brackets that is missing 3" of weld compared to the other side. It doesn't mean it is going to come off.

So pics may help see both sides of the story.
BB3583A6-9DDD-4889-8F89-6980A3B0B2B8.jpeg

772C1226-CCCC-4922-B3C7-9D05014D52C9.jpeg

Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Must have been welded on a Monday morning by someone with a serious hangover. My guess - union protection, lack of pride, and poor quality control created your problem. Fortunately mine is not like that...

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
wow. That’s worse than I though. Still very simple repair but shouldn’t be like that. Truthfully, I think you would get a superior product by having an independent shop correct this vs fca and the dealer making the repair

brett

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
just think about all the people out there who never go under the jeep. all those owners with welds like that. jesus.

also, how the hell is that even remotely related to a lift? take it to another dealer and file complaint with FCA. @JeepCares whats going on with dealers?.
Sponsored