Sponsored

ESS start/stop not working properly!!!!!!!!!!!!

tsahorn

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
It would be great if Jeep put out a recall or at least added to their TSB that warranty MUST replace BOTH batteries.
My service manager first said, "why do you want it working? Its annoying. Be glad it is not always going off."
I researched the forum, went back and told him others are having the same issue and the only way they were able to fix the issue is to replace both the main and auxiliary batteries. After he researched and had his tech look at the vehicle he came back and told me that the 2018 JLU does not have two batteries. 2.5 hours later, he changed his mind.
If Jeep would make it crystal clear how to fix the issue, maybe I could get the dealer to fix it. Service manager will not replace both batteries. Only changing aux battery and then will see how it goes. This is a 1.5 hour round trip for me, but he does seem to care. No offers for a loaner....not even a ride to a local restaurant while he spends 3 hours "looking" at the vehicle.
I have an open case with UConnect, but have not been able to get in touch with the representative.
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
It would be great if Jeep put out a recall or at least added to their TSB that warranty MUST replace BOTH batteries.
My service manager first said, "why do you want it working? Its annoying. Be glad it is not always going off."
I researched the forum, went back and told him others are having the same issue and the only way they were able to fix the issue is to replace both the main and auxiliary batteries. After he researched and had his tech look at the vehicle he came back and told me that the 2018 JLU does not have two batteries. 2.5 hours later, he changed his mind.
If Jeep would make it crystal clear how to fix the issue, maybe I could get the dealer to fix it. Service manager will not replace both batteries. Only changing aux battery and then will see how it goes. This is a 1.5 hour round trip for me, but he does seem to care. No offers for a loaner....not even a ride to a local restaurant while he spends 3 hours "looking" at the vehicle.
I have an open case with UConnect, but have not been able to get in touch with the representative.
Lol. why want it working? because if it isnt working it means a battery could be going bad, and the jeep needs both to work. if it happens to go right after warranty, then guess whos paying for the new battery.... These dealers man....

I had this issue with my jeep for the first 1k mile. dealer checked it and said nothing wrong, took it to another said nothing wrong. After the 1k mile mark it has been working no issues, i am at 10k. My jeep was sitting on a dealer lot not being driven for months before i bought it, this can cause the issue.

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
Typical North Texas day - 40 mile drive - AC on full blast.
35 miles into my drive, this happens.
"Stop/Start Unavailable Service Stop/Start System" and my check engine light came on.
Fast forward 5 hours, hop in the Jeep to run an errand, check engine light is off, stop/start functioning again.
I drove 15 minutes earlier tonight, Stop/Start Unavailable... it was a cool 91 at that time.
Currently at the 11-month mark, 9700 miles
2 questions
1. If the dealership deams it a bad aux battery, is there a cost?
2. Those of you with "add-ons", such as a small amp, will that void the warranty?
I am ready to trade this thing in to be honest. I've run into so many "minor issues". Is it me, or does everyone with the "minor issues" think this is crazy being a brand new vehicle. I go through cars faster than underwear, and I've never had this many issues combined. 20+ years of vehicles and I've never paid one off.
Any help is appreciated.
Jeep Wrangler JL ESS start/stop not working properly!!!!!!!!!!!! 1597551531588

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
"Stop/Start Unavailable Service Stop/Start System" and my check engine light came on.
Fast forward 5 hours, hop in the Jeep to run an errand, check engine light is off, stop/start functioning again.
I drove 15 minutes earlier tonight, Stop/Start Unavailable... it was a cool 91 at that time.
2 questions
2. Those of you with "add-ons", such as a small amp, will that void the warranty?
I am ready to trade this thing in to be honest. I've run into so many "minor issues". Is it me, or does everyone with the "minor issues" think this is crazy being a brand new vehicle. I go through cars faster than underwear, and I've never had this many issues combined. 20+ years of vehicles and I've never paid one off.
Any help is appreciated.
I think new vehicles are overly complicated. Too many things to go wrong, and in the process ruin the ownership experience. "KISS", Keep It Simple Stupid.
I would be much happier with a more Raw off-road Jeep, that is very reliable, than a plush soccer mom moblie, that can offroad and is not reliable.

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
I think new vehicles are overly complicated. Too many things to go wrong, and in the process ruin the ownership experience. "KISS", Keep It Simple Stupid.
I would be much happier with a more Raw off-road Jeep, that is very reliable, than a plush soccer mom moblie, that can offroad and is not reliable.
It's frustrating. I've always wanted a Wrangler, I get one, and with 10 months I want to sell it.

Sponsored

tsahorn

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
2 questions
Any help is appreciated.
Aux battery is being replaced on our Jeep under warranty. We do not have any add-ons, so do not know if add-ons impacts the warranty.
Agree.....many issues with the JLU. Our frustration is that our local dealer does not know how to fix them, even though people on the forum have told about documented solutions. We have a case open with Jeep Customer Care and I have expressed to them that they should clearly document their TSBs on what is needed to fix the issues and then hold dealerships accountable to follow the TSBs (at a minimum).

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
They will fix under warranty. I just had my starter battery replaced and since it was under warranty there was no charge.
Is the small amp a stereo thing? I have aftermarket headlights (DRL plugged into Aux 3) and a few other things and they didn't say anything.

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
They will fix under warranty. I just had my starter battery replaced and since it was under warranty there was no charge.
Is the small amp a stereo thing? I have aftermarket headlights (DRL plugged into Aux 3) and a few other things and they didn't say anything.
I'd assume a fender removal to replace the AUX battery?

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know. Pulling the fender is easy though. Pulled both when I upgraded the headlights. Takes 5 minutes.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
No. The procedure is to come at it from the top...... remove the fuse box and start working down.

this is why I recall want someone to come up with a ā€œdual battery tray kitā€ that will house the main battery AND the relocated AUX battery right up top where both are easy to get to WHEN replacement is needed.

Sponsored

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
There's a recently posted video on YT that shows exactly how to get at the aux battery.
You can probably search & find it easy enough.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
No. The procedure is to come at it from the top...... remove the fuse box and start working down.

this is why I recall want someone to come up with a ā€œdual battery tray kitā€ that will house the main battery AND the relocated AUX battery right up top where both are easy to get to WHEN replacement is needed.
There IS a video on this very topic on this forum that I don't have time to find a this time. Its a kit for a dual battery replacement where both batteries are same level next to each other.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
There IS a video on this very topic on this forum that I don't have time to find a this time. Its a kit for a dual battery replacement where both batteries are same level next to each other.
That is the genesis dual battery kit, i think. That is an option but I donā€™t need the dual batteries yet. I just want to get the aux battery as it is moved ā€œup topā€

if somebody already makes this, let me know ..... I canā€™t find It......

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
That is the genesis dual battery kit, i think. That is an option but I donā€™t need the dual batteries yet. I just want to get the aux battery as it is moved ā€œup topā€

if somebody already makes this, let me know ..... I canā€™t find It......
For now the Genesis Kit is it. That is because to much stuff has to be moved around, and relocated. There is a spaghetti load of wires that need to be organized, and you dont want to go at it cheaply, and in a "Half-Ass" way. When my warranty runs out, I will either get the Genesis System, or another, if one is avai!able, for less, but as good of quality. Having to worry about and replace the batteries every couple of years, and as complicated as it is, makes the decision easy.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
O2 sensor or vacuum pump in braking system.
Sponsored

Last edited: