Anyone lock the M186?

Williamj

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1945 GPW, 2020 JL Sport
Just curious if anyone has locked the Dana 30? Going to regear soon and may throw in an ARB at the same time to save on labor. I’ll most likely be sticking with 35s And have the m210 rear. Thoughts?
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Just curious if anyone has locked the Dana 30? Going to regear soon and may throw in an ARB at the same time to save on labor. I’ll most likely be sticking with 35s And have the m210 rear. Thoughts?
my thoughts are that’s a lot of money to invest in that axle. For ~4K you can get take out rubicon axles. 2k for regear, 1k for arb then adding the compressor and associated hardware it can add up quick. The 210 isn’t a monster but when you compare a 186 ring and pinion to a 210, it’s significant.

brett

OP
OP

Williamj

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1945 GPW, 2020 JL Sport
my thoughts are that’s a lot of money to invest in that axle. For ~4K you can get take out rubicon axles. 2k for regear, 1k for arb then adding the compressor and associated hardware it can add up quick. The 210 isn’t a monster but when you compare a 186 ring and pinion to a 210, it’s significant.

brett
Thanks for the input,I have been tossing the same thoughts around. My only hesitation is that I would want to regear To 4.88 either way so add an extra 2k into the rubicon axles. At that point I’d be more interested in an ultimate Dana 44 front. Just looking into these “new Dana 30s” before pulling the Trigger on anything.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Thanks for the input,I have been tossing the same thoughts around. My only hesitation is that I would want to regear To 4.88 either way so add an extra 2k into the rubicon axles. At that point I’d be more interested in an ultimate Dana 44 front. Just looking into these “new Dana 30s” before pulling the Trigger on anything.
I don’t remember if I’ve scrapped the r&p yet for the comparison but keeping your rear 220 and adding an ultimate 44 wouldn’t be a bad idea.

We wheel all over the country and I’m looking at nearly 20k for tons, different drive shafts, 8 lugs and 40s. Man that’s a hard pill to swallow

brett

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
Yes you can add a locker and it will hold up with “35s” as long as you take it easy with the lock up time and power application. Lots of folks have been doing this for years with TJs and JKs.

Cost wise might want to consider adding stronger D30 axle shafts vs swapping out to a D44. New axle shafts can bring the strength up close to the factory D44.

4.88 and “35s” is a bit over geared IMO and you will suffer in overall on road performance considering under load they are really just tall “33s”. At most 4.10 is all that is truly needed with “35s”. Unless your real plan is to run “37s” (35s under load). In which case 4.56 or 4.88 are more appropriate.

My .02

Sponsored

OP
OP

Williamj

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1945 GPW, 2020 JL Sport
Yes you can add a locker and it will hold up with “35s” as long as you take it easy with the lock up time and power application. Lots of folks have been doing this for years with TJs and JKs.

Cost wise might want to consider adding stronger D30 axle shafts vs swapping out to a D44. New axle shafts can bring the strength up close to the factory D44.

4.88 and “35s” is a bit over geared IMO and you will suffer in overall on road performance considering under load they are really just tall “33s”. At most 4.10 is all that is truly needed with “35s”. Unless your real plan is to run “37s” (35s under load). In which case 4.56 or 4.88 are more appropriate.

My .02
Thanks for the input. This is my first Jeep since my LJ Rubicon and figured some stuff would be similar but wanted to look into it. Not too many rocks and hills here in FL so I would say the strain would be less than other areas of the country. This is a “toy” and sees very little Highway. With the manual I found 6th gear useless stock so would prefer to go a little lower in the gearing.

OP
OP

Williamj

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1945 GPW, 2020 JL Sport
I don’t remember if I’ve scrapped the r&p yet for the comparison but keeping your rear 220 and adding an ultimate 44 wouldn’t be a bad idea.

We wheel all over the country and I’m looking at nearly 20k for tons, different drive shafts, 8 lugs and 40s. Man that’s a hard pill to swallow

brett
Haha, yes very easy to get carried away. I wanted to see what the experience with the new axle locked was to try and bring myself back down to earth. Thanks again for the input.
Sponsored