Sponsored

TSB 08-037-19 REV. B Rear Window Defroster Inoperable, Wire Hanging From The Back Glass

Handdoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
Just had rear window replaced in August 2019 for rear defroster tab failure on my 2018 Wrangler. Had many stickers on back window that, while not expensive, had great sentimental value as memories of trips taken and adventures had. Unfortunately, lost them all.
Having just found and applied several replacement stickers, I have suffered my second rear defroster tab failure.

Last time it took them 4 days to order replacement window and fix. Don't feel like waiting that long again or losing all my stickers again. Called dealership to ask if they would simply repair the tab as opposed to replace window, but they state that they must send info to Jeep corporate and await instructions. They refuse to do so until I bring the vehicle in and leave it for inspection. Will not simply do over phone.

Very frustrating. Dealer admits its a problem he sees frequently and instructions from Jeep vary from vehicle to vehicle whether to replace or repair.

Ultimately just thinking of trying to repair myself with Frost Fighter 2000 Repair Kit. Wondering about others' success doing this.

Thanks
Sponsored

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
The electrical epoxy worked well on my JKU but not at all on my JLU?? Dealer tried 4 x I tried once to no avail! Dealer replaced back window connection on new window last 2 days! New dealer tried fornd out that the wire harness from HT to window was bad and even though wires connected still didn't work! New wire harness, new connection (I believe conductive epoxy) still connected and defroster stiil working! I should not have written this, I'm sure now it'll fail!!!

This started a month after receiving JLUS in Feb, 2018,a January build date! Good Luck!!! Contact on this forum "JeepCares" they are great, helped me!

Go Jeep!!!

Just had rear window replaced in August 2019 for rear defroster tab failure on my 2018 Wrangler. Had many stickers on back window that, while not expensive, had great sentimental value as memories of trips taken and adventures had. Unfortunately, lost them all.
Having just found and applied several replacement stickers, I have suffered my second rear defroster tab failure.

Last time it took them 4 days to order replacement window and fix. Don't feel like waiting that long again or losing all my stickers again. Called dealership to ask if they would simply repair the tab as opposed to replace window, but they state that they must send info to Jeep corporate and await instructions. They refuse to do so until I bring the vehicle in and leave it for inspection. Will not simply do over phone.

Very frustrating. Dealer admits its a problem he sees frequently and instructions from Jeep vary from vehicle to vehicle whether to replace or repair.

Ultimately just thinking of trying to repair myself with Frost Fighter 2000 Repair Kit. Wondering about others' success doing this.

Thanks

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Thanks
Hi Handdoc,
We are truly sorry to hear about the loss of your personalized window- we understand the value of those memories! If you would like our additional assistance while you work with your dealer on a replacement, please feel free to send us a PM.

Kathryn
JeepCares

fyr145

First Name
Lon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Public Safety - (ret.)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I was recently inducted into the broken defroster connector club like many of you. But after reading several posts and threads, I elected to give the repair work a try for myself. I didn't want to take my rig for a completely new rear glass then go back repeatedly, and since I live in the desert southwest, this repair wasn't that big of an issue. maybe I am OCD or something but I hated seeing that dangling wire every time I went to open my window. So here I am writing you all on what I did and snapped a few photos along the way of my "journey". So here goes.

I started first by doing my homework and reading all these posts on this site about the issues with this darn connector. Then I found the TSB and downloaded it so I had a quick reference on the repair kit the TSB recommended. Next, I ordered the kit and the button through their website. Once the kit and button arrived, I went and opened up my window and of course saw what everyone else has noticed, mine was, of course, no exception. So I got my phone and found that video from the kit manufacturer and watched it closely. Then it was back to the rig to begin the operation. I prayed the old button off of the connector using a pick and small screwdriver. I got it off without damaging the connector itself. Compared the old button to my new button just to see exactly what's going on between my old one and the new one.

Then it was off to the window connection itself. I took the small pieces of sandpaper from the kit and LIGHTLY sanded the connection area just enough to remove any old solder and cleaned the area on and around it.

Next was to make the compound/epoxy mix. Using the materials in the kit, I mixed a small batch of resin and hardener together that made just enough to cover the bottom of the new button. Then gently attached it to the freshly sanded connection point on the window. While that was curing, I too the connector and lightly sanded the inside of the connector just to help the connection if it was needed. After that, I used a heat gun on a low setting on the button to help speed up the curing process a bit. Yes, I could have just waited or pulled the rig outside and let the sun do it for me but I chose to use the heat gun instead. Once the compound had set enough I snapped the connector back onto the new button and moved onto the next part which is the tension relief mod.

I added wire ties to the wire as shown in the other threads. I made sure that it was big enough and tight enough so it wouldn't slide towards the connector during travel. Then just for good measure, I added one more tie to the wire and washer hose. Not tight but snug on that one. Took a final look over at everything and put it all away.

Like I said, living here in the desert I won't be using this circuit very often, but I do like the fact that at least its repaired......for now. time will tell just how long this repair job will last and if it even works at all. Hope this helps someone out. Cheers.

1 button top.jpg

2 button bottom.jpg

3 window sanding done.jpg

4 window connection sanded.jpg

5 wire for defroster.jpg

6 reconnected.jpg

7 wire tie added.jpg

8 complete.jpg

Lou_JLU

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara, 2019 JL Wrangler Sahara
My belief is that the small round tab surface area is too small to carry the ~24A of current and the epoxy eventually fails from high heat at the tab. I soldered a new tab to a penny and then epoxied the penny to a new location. When I tried out the repair the original location circled in red got very very hot but the penny/tab was cool.

I then epoxied a copper strip over the "hot spot" to try again (I'll post that pick later). Bear in mind the mating connector had been pulled off and put back on by the dealer and me about 4 - 5 times by now so it felt loose when connected. Upon the 2nd try the copper strip did the job, no heat from the area that I circled, but the black rubber on the mating connector being loose was now getting hot.

I've since ordered a new defrost cable (waiting for) and in the meantime I am going to see if it's feasible to bend the little fingers inside the mating connector back into position. I'm not a fan of this connector as it seems a weak spot in the current flow to the window but since winter is months away I'll tinker with it.

The wife's jeep just had it's tab re-epoxied last week. I'll give it one dealer repair and then apply what I've learned to fix hers if/when it pops off again.

5-24-20: Update. Added pic of copper strip passenger side (not pretty but effective) and I was able to carefully pry the little fingers in the mating connector so that i had a firm fit over the tab. This took care of the connector getting hot.

Ran the defrost a couple times and on the second time the tab on other side of the window popped off. I now have a new copper strip there and I soldered the button on the strip. I guess I'll next see what the next weak link in the system is.
Jeep Wrangler JL TSB 08-037-19 REV. B Rear Window Defroster Inoperable, Wire Hanging From The Back Glass Capture.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL TSB 08-037-19 REV. B Rear Window Defroster Inoperable, Wire Hanging From The Back Glass Capture.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL TSB 08-037-19 REV. B Rear Window Defroster Inoperable, Wire Hanging From The Back Glass IMG_4502
Jeep Wrangler JL TSB 08-037-19 REV. B Rear Window Defroster Inoperable, Wire Hanging From The Back Glass IMG_4507
Jeep Wrangler JL TSB 08-037-19 REV. B Rear Window Defroster Inoperable, Wire Hanging From The Back Glass IMG_4542

Last edited:

Sponsored

InfamousYert

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, Bright White.
Vehicle Showcase
Mine has been like this for a while. 2018 JLUS, bought in Feb 2018. Probably happened in Aug 2018. Never got around to getting it taken care of because... meh.

Now with this 'Rona stuff going on, who knows when I'll take it in. Anyways, it is the wife's Jeep and she doesn't care about it anyways. I'll get around to it after 'Rona decides to fall by the wayside. Glad to know I'm not the only one with the rear window defroster Shenanigans.

tsahorn

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
As others have experienced, our rear defroster cable was dangling. When I took it in, tech seemed to know exactly what to order. When I took it back in for repair for two items, the service manager said no one ever ordered parts for our Jeep. Oddly enough, he found one, but not the one for the defroster. He said that Jeep won't cover it because it us a third party solution. I find this odd since there is a TSB. He said the dealer is going to eat the cost.

Ordered again, 3 months later (yes 3), they work on it. See picture. When I asked about how it looked....he said "that is the solution...smear some solder around it. It is just a bad design and Jeep hasn't provided us a way to fix it yet."
Is this correct? No Jeep solution and smear solder on it?

20200810_173025.jpg

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
As others have experienced, our rear defroster cable was dangling. When I took it in, tech seemed to know exactly what to order. When I took it back in for repair for two items, the service manager said no one ever ordered parts for our Jeep. Oddly enough, he found one, but not the one for the defroster. He said that Jeep won't cover it because it us a third party solution. I find this odd since there is a TSB. He said the dealer is going to eat the cost.

Ordered again, 3 months later (yes 3), they work on it. See picture. When I asked about how it looked....he said "that is the solution...smear some solder around it. It is just a bad design and Jeep hasn't provided us a way to fix it yet."
Is this correct? No Jeep solution and smear solder on it?

20200810_173025.jpg
@tsahorn

Geeeez, you are the same JL owner that made a post today saying that his Service Manager had said the Wrangler JL, 3.6, only had one battery.

Now this post about the epoxy smear..... You need to find another friggin Service Department! There has to be another in your area...

I have had my JL fixed twice now. 1st time the fix failed. The 2nd fix has lasted 4 months now, but I'm guessing that fix will also fail... The Tech that did mine soldered mine versus doing as the TSB recommended, using conductive epoxy... He felt to solder, was best and I agreed.

I did see one at the dealership that they used the conductive epoxy on and it was done neatly and not sloppily applied like yours. Techs at the dealership said the conductive epoxy failed to hold 99% of the time.

Do note that FCA has authorized new windows with defroster and a few of thoset guys/gals that got the new windows, have reported that even the new ones came loose .

Anyway, DO find another Service Department!!!

tsahorn

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@tsahorn

Geeeez, you are the same JL owner that made a post today saying that his Service Manager had said the Wrangler JL, 3.6, only had one battery.

Now this post about the epoxy smear..... You need to find another friggin Service Department! There has to be another in your area...

I have had my JL fixed twice now. 1st time the fix failed. The 2nd fix has lasted 4 months now, but I'm guessing that fix will also fail... The Tech that did mine soldered mine versus doing as the TSB recommended, using conductive epoxy... He felt to solder, was best and I agreed.

I did see one at the dealership that they used the conductive epoxy on and it was done neatly and not sloppily applied like yours. Techs at the dealership said the conductive epoxy failed to hold 99% of the time.

Do note that FCA has authorized new windows with defroster and a few of thoset guys/gals that got the new windows, have reported that even the new ones came loose .

Anyway, DO find another Service Department!!!
Thanks for the update on your defroster. It sounds like I may not be finished with the issue.
I believe it may come to that....finding a new service department. I have a case with Jeep Cares on these open items so I may stick with this service department on these open issues. If for no other reason, so that Jeep can document the quality level from this dealership.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the update on your defroster. It sounds like I may not be finished with the issue.
I believe it may come to that....finding a new service department. I have a case with Jeep Cares on these open items so I may stick with this service department on these open issues. If for no other reason, so that Jeep can document the quality level from this dealership.
@tsahorn

You can also call Dedicated Jeep Customer Care: Ph. 1-866-362-2146 .

I have found less lip service with them versus lots more action then with Jeep Cares.

Some forum members say JeepCares has helped but...... my vote is to call the CC number and to talk to them, have them document and they will even call the dealership while you are at the dealership going around and around with the Service Dept.

Service Dept, falls right into line so to speak, when you are there and get Dedicated Jeep CC on the line and have that Rep, talking to them. CC puts you on hold and they call the dealer and say what the hey... or arrange for you not to pay say something some nitwit at the dealership says is not warrantied..

Just be polite and push to be made hole so to speak. I have found FCA more often hen not will work it out,, pay all or meet you have way if there is a questionable warranty issue.

No way can you do the aforementioned doing emails or messages here with JeepCares..

Sponsored

tsahorn

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@tsahorn

You can also call Dedicated Jeep Customer Care: Ph. 1-866-362-2146 .

I have found less lip service with them versus lots more action then with Jeep Cares.

Some forum members say JeepCares has helped but...... my vote is to call the CC number and to talk to them, have them document and they will even call the dealership while you are at the dealership going around and around with the Service Dept.

Service Dept, falls right into line so to speak, when you are there and get Dedicated Jeep CC on the line and have that Rep, talking to them. CC puts you on hold and they call the dealer and say what the hey... or arrange for you not to pay say something some nitwit at the dealership says is not warrantied..

Just be polite and push to be made hole so to speak. I have found FCA more often hen not will work it out,, pay all or meet you have way if there is a questionable warranty issue.

No way can you do the aforementioned doing emails or messages here with JeepCares..
Thank you. I was not aware of Jeep Customer Care. I thought jeep cares was the customer care department.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you. I was not aware of Jeep Customer Care. I thought jeep cares was the customer care department.
@tsahorn

The gals/guys that field the phone calls at Dedicated Jeep Customer Care, may be the same ones that give lip service and say sorry about this and that in regard to one's Jeep...

Regardless, you are far better off dealing with issues over the phone then via a forum message or an email.... as I explained in my last post here.

IF, I want a mere sorry, I will contact JeepCares.... Sorry for me, does not cut it.. And yes, a few guys here say Jeep Cares has helped them... that's nice. :clap:

Sting Gray Rubi

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited
So glad I found this thread! My 20' JLUR has a damaged defrost wire connection on the passenger side. Mine goes to the dealer on 12/10 for inspection... I believe this is manufacturing flaw and seems the wire is simply too short. I plan on printing off the TSB info and bringing it with me. Wish me luck...šŸ¤˜

SaintDuke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
I as well as dealing with this issue and with a dealership who is less than enthusiastic about helping. It will be my third time trying to get this resolved. Pretty sure I'll need to be reaching out to Chrystler about this dealership.

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
Well, last February I had my defrost button solder fail as so many have. They "fixed" 3 times before they ultimately replaced the back windshield.
Warranty over May 2021
Now Jan 2022- Same thing. Button solder failed and wire hanging down. I am hoping that even though my warrany was up in May, bc there was a documented problem requiring a new windshield, that they'll take care of this as well. We shall see...
Sponsored