Sponsored

Things you have learned the Hard way about owning a Jeep.

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Granite Crystal 6MT
Leaving on Wednesday to camp for 5 days along the river, then the following weekend, will be camping at Silver Lake Sand Dunes, home for a weekend as I am a photographer for a wedding. Prep the Jeep and camper for a Jeeping in Virginia, for a badge, then two days camping on the outer bands of North Carolina, and then grab another badge trail in North Carolina, before heading home. Then a weekend of boating....... and it will be the 3rd week of September. Time is flying. Only one for wheeling trip after that in October to West Virginia for another badge. Then of course if they get the new Off Road park open in Holly Michigan, I will have to swing through there also.

We are refining our Jeep camping and driving skills for when we full time out of a Jeep and off road from Arizona to Alaska in 2o22.

And this is why I saved for so long......
You coming to Peter's Mill Run?!
Sponsored

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
What do you use for painting / touch up and also any polishing and scratches?!
I have not scratched the body yet......so can't comment on that. I use flat black for the rock rails, bumpers, factory skid plates, and frame. Then I use Farm Red implement paint for the diff skids and d-rings.

Wax, I use Turtle Wax Fire and Ice. I use this often. all the black plastic gets 303 protestant.

I am fortunate for all the wheeling I have done, I am pretty much scratch free on the body.

Jeep Wrangler JL Things you have learned the Hard way about owning a Jeep. 1597061648068

Jeep Wrangler JL Things you have learned the Hard way about owning a Jeep. 1597061714029

One day later....
Jeep Wrangler JL Things you have learned the Hard way about owning a Jeep. 1597061855828

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have not scratched the body yet......so can't comment on that. I use flat black for the rock rails, bumpers, factory skid plates, and frame. Then I use Farm Red implement paint for the diff skids and d-rings.

Wax, I use Turtle Wax Fire and Ice. I use this often. all the black plastic gets 303 protestant.

I am fortunate for all the wheeling I have done, I am pretty much scratch free on the body.

Jeep Wrangler JL Things you have learned the Hard way about owning a Jeep. 1597061855828

One day later....
You're lucky. Just wait until you take that trip east!

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
You're lucky. Just wait until you take that trip east!
I have wheeled, Windrock twice, and Blue Hollar Off Road Park. I can't imagine that the bdge trails in a national forest will be harder. Maybe I am wrong. Mind you my bead lock rings look like they have been in a midevil war and hacked at with swords and axes.

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have wheeled, Windrock twice, and Blue Hollar Off Road Park. I can't imagine that the bdge trails in a national forest will be harder. Maybe I am wrong. Mind you my bead lock rings look like they have been in a midevil war and hacked at with swords and axes.
No no, it's not about difficulty. They're not hard trails, they're just tight trails, especially in certain bits of Peter's Mill and Flagpole Knob (not the forest road--the other routes).

(I don't believe Flagpole Knob is a badge trail, although both its lake road and union spring should be, IMO.)

Thankfully I only have 1 from a recent foray to Flagpole Knob, but given the wooded nature (it is a forest, after all), pinstripes are a fact of life out here in VA.

Sponsored

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
And this is why I saved for so long......
Yup... I hope I can be in the same position as you when I retire. It is a lot easier to do when you see someone else do it.

The first step in getting something done is believing it can be done.:like:

G.D.S. 4x4

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Hardrock 2dr '19 JL Rubi
Occupation
Old Jeeper not gonna say how long!
1976.....First lesson learned......Keep yer wallet open!:CWL::like::LOL:

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Treat your soft top windows as consumables and it will save you a lot of stress and anxiety about scratching them. It's going to happen no matter how careful you are.
That makes a ton of sense.

Related--anyone have the parts numbers for the windows for a premium JLU top?!

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
That makes a ton of sense.

Related--anyone have the parts numbers for the windows for a premium JLU top?!
It makes a ton of sense, until you see how much replacements are. I have a damaged side window (self-inflicted). It still works, so I'm not paying for a new window until it completely breaks, or I find a cheap replacement here or on Craigslist.

part numbers here:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/driver-side-tinted-window-jeep-wrangler-jl-4-door/black-twill-tint

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/p...jeep-wrangler-jl-4-door/black-twill-passenger

Sponsored

AdamEaton

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
"Buy once cry once"... Unfortunately this is a lesson I had to learn more than once. It often does not pay to go cheap on the aftermarket. Especially if it is for protection, recovery, or driveline.

G.D.S. 4x4

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Hardrock 2dr '19 JL Rubi
Occupation
Old Jeeper not gonna say how long!
"Buy once cry once"... Unfortunately this is a lesson I had to learn more than once. It often does not pay to go cheap on the aftermarket. Especially if it is for protection, recovery, or driveline.
Buy once....Cry once sign is behind my front counter on the wall! It brings out the best and worst in customers. Choose wisely my friends!

sheram

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU RUBICON
Occupation
Retired
Let’s see...
  1. I learned to never drive my lifted Jeep into a parking garage with the CB antenna on
  2. One or two guys in the entire group have your best interest at heart when they stand in front to spot you. About 1/2 of the guys have no clue how to spot and are more concerned about running out of beer; the rest just want to see some carnage. I learned it’s important to spot the good “spotters” in the group early on in the weekend and ignore the rest.
  3. I learned that every Jeep owner that claims his lifted rig with huge tires “rides and drives better than stock” is full of shit.
Just LOVE #3

FulThrotl

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
There are many things to learn about owning a Jeep that you will never learn while owning a different vehicle. Share your experience here.
if you drive across nevada in 112 temperature while pulling a patriot tent trailer, by the time you get to st. george utah, the heat will have caused the rear locker to set a permanent error saying "service lockers". you will be unable to use the lockers in utah, or repair the problem, short of replacing the axles, which are not available.

there is a hack workaround for $175 per axle from Z Automototive.

that, and the fuel pump died 20 miles after leaving I-15. jeep would, imho, be a lot better if FCA didn't build or support it.

sheram

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU RUBICON
Occupation
Retired
Seeking advice on Facebook is equivalent to asking permission to sit at the “COOL” table in the cafeteria of a mental institution.
Sponsored