Sponsored

3.6L ESS Bad Aux Battery No Start Firmware Fix

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
JeepCares, no offense, but the reason forum members are reaching out to each other, is that they are more knowledgeable than the Dealers, for the most part.
A continual complaint is that Dealers lack the ability to diagnose, and successfully repair our JLs, JTs.
More and Better Training would be a huge plus ; FCA will need to up its game , especially in light of the coming Bronco competition.
SERVICE CAN MAKE OR BREAK A BRAND...
Thank you.
We certainly understand, @four low
Please know that our team is here to offer additional support during dealer visits. While we understand that forum members turn to fellow members for support, we are here to supplement a dealer visit if necessary.

Kathryn
JeepCares
Sponsored

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
Sounds like you just discovered a free way to permanently disable ESS... I mean, aside from taking your doors off and putting them back on a few times, which can result in bent pins in the door wiring harness and all kinds of weird errors, including ESS being disabled.

I did get all the latest firmware updates when I brought my jeep in for the manual transmission work recently and I must say, I love the changes. It’s a lot less “surgey” when depressing the clutch; the RPMs just drop like they’re supposed to. Also, recirculate A/C stays on instead of just shutting itself off at highway speeds. There may have been other changes that I didn’t know about like this one that are also great.
Wait. Are you saying there is a firmware update that cures the very annoying rev hang issue with cars that have the manual transmission?

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Wait. Are you saying there is a firmware update that cures the very annoying rev hang issue with cars that have the manual transmission?
Yes, partly. In most situations where it used to happen it is now gone. For example, when accelerating it no long hangs/surges up when pushing in the clutch; the RPMs just drop like they’re supposed to. I still noticed it in a few situations which I can’t remember now, but overall an excellent update.

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
Okay, thanks. I definitely need to ask my service dept about this. You don't happen to know which update it was do you?

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
JeepCares, no offense, but the reason forum members are reaching out to each other, is that they are more knowledgeable than the Dealers, for the most part.
A continual complaint is that Dealers lack the ability to diagnose, and successfully repair our JLs, JTs.
More and Better Training would be a huge plus ; FCA will need to up its game , especially in light of the coming Bronco competition.
SERVICE CAN MAKE OR BREAK A BRAND...
Thank you.
Over-exaggeration based on a small group on a forum. There are many excellent dealer service departments that follow the procedures outlined by FCA for problems. And every auto forum has a group that complain about dealer service so don't know why you think a vehicle that isn't available for 8 months is going to have fewer issues or better support.

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Over-exaggeration based on a small group on a forum. There are many excellent dealer service departments that follow the procedures outlined by FCA for problems. And every auto forum has a group that complain about dealer service so don't know why you think a vehicle that isn't available for 8 months is going to have fewer issues or better support.
Maybe. But I think the comments by @four low speak to some fundamentals that many (not all) FCA Dealerships may be lacking. I have been on a number of auto forums over the years. I don’t recall ever seeing stories of some dealerships routinely putting in an extra quart of oil. ...... dozens and dozens and dozens of stories on this forum about that. And, not just back in 2018. The stories continue (albeit at a slower rate) Into model year 3.

if a dealer can’t get this right, it means that they are not looking at the tech info supplied by FCA and/or not training their employees on same. and, FCA is not holding their dealer network accountable.

there are also a number of stories on this board about Members here going to their dealer to talk about a TSB. Dealer doesn’t know anything about it. Really? The public knows about it but the SERVICE manager doesn’t? Again, this points to an utter lack of process/training at the dealership.

stuff like this makes it hard to trust a dealership, any dealership.

FCA CAN fix this if they cared to. They CAN take action against dealerships that fill 6 quarts. Do they?

i am sure that FCA has a heat-map of dealerships that routinely perform poorly. FCA needs to start playing hardball. They need to hold dealers accountable to standards. And, when those standards are not met, FCA needs to take action up to and including removing the dealer’s badge. Then FCA needs to publish the number of dealers each year who have been removed from the network.

FCA is no longer selling “cheap Jeeps”. The pricing on them is actually in the “luxury” category. Many of the dealerships are not providing a luxury experience. Heck, my wife’s $25k mini dealerships provide an overall better experience than my $60k Jeep. The Mini dealerships we have been to are physically stunning and the level of service is first rate. Zero problems. i cannot say the same for both of the Jeep dealers that I have been to. frankly, the experience is more like 1976 than 2000, let alone 2020.

how can it be that in 2020 not every Jeep dealer is required to schedule appointments online? How can it be that not every jeep dealer is required to have software that will let you check on the status of your vehicle as it moves through the sevicing steps? Mini does both. Does Jeep? (Hint; no)

FCA is selling expensive, luxury vehicles through a dealer network that in many cases just doesn’t get it. FCA can improve, It can be done. FCA needs to up their game or they will pay a very steep price down the road In my opinion.

Last edited:

Al@OH

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ,JK & JL
Just had my 18 JL in for an oil change at the dealer (3rd of 4 free ones). Anyway I asked about any firmware/software updates. Nothing came up. If anybody gets a actual update number that we can refer to that would be great.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Just had my 18 JL in for an oil change at the dealer (3rd of 4 free ones). Anyway I asked about any firmware/software updates. Nothing came up. If anybody gets a actual update number that we can refer to that would be great.
This is common at dealerships, even really good dealers which mine is.. They don't have all the information about the latest firmware/TSB fixes unless someone else before you had the same problem. At least my dealership is willing to do the research to get the fix if I provide the details.

By the way, Do we know specifically which of the TSB numbers listed in this image is the ESS dead battery fix? I'm assuming the PCM related update.

jl firmware update ESS.jpg

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
By the way, Do we know specifically which of the TSB numbers listed in this image is the ESS dead battery fix? I'm assuming the PCM related update.
I assume the same.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Confirming that the TSB in this thread that updates the PCM will improve how the JL handles a dead/low ESS battery. I tested with the ESS battery disconnected and my JLU started on the 2nd attempt. (Note: this is without the N1 / N2 jumper work around)

However, this comes with a "circle A" error on the dashboard and a P00FD error code stored when you scan obd2. It can be cleared after you resolve the ESS battery issue.
Sponsored