Sponsored

Warn winch newbie question?

OversandJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2014 JKU Sport S, 2007 JKU Sport, 1997 TJ,
When I power out my winch line on my Warn Zeon 10S using the remote the clutch lever moves towards disengagement/freespool on it own. Is this normal? I figured it would stay fully engaged until I moved it manually.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Focker

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ducati.ms
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
General Manager
Vehicle Showcase
When I power out my winch line on my Warn Zeon 10S using the remote the clutch lever moves towards disengagement/freespool on it own. Is this normal? I figured it would stay fully engaged until I moved it manually.
That is not normal. It should stay firmly engaged.

OP
OP
OversandJL

OversandJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

JmJ_Rubicon

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Wrangler Rubicon
@OversandJL did you find out from Warn why this happened? I spend a couple hours installing a new Zeon and it does the same thing.

OP
OP
OversandJL

OversandJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@OversandJL did you find out from Warn why this happened? I spend a couple hours installing a new Zeon and it does the same thing.
I haven't reached out yet, but it only does it when it is not under load.

Sponsored

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Bumping this thread.

I used my Warn Zeon 10s yesterday and noticed that when under load (self recovery of my Jeep using tree strap) the clutch would creep slightly towards disengage on its own. It maybe moved 1/4 of the way by itself.

The clutch didn’t disengage itself but I found it odd that the lever moved at all. I don’t recall it doing this before.

Anyone experience the same thing?

OP
OP
OversandJL

OversandJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bumping this thread.

I used my Warn Zeon 10s yesterday and noticed that when under load (self recovery of my Jeep using tree strap) the clutch would creep slightly towards disengage on its own. It maybe moved 1/4 of the way by itself.

The clutch didn’t disengage itself but I found it odd that the lever moved at all. I don’t recall it doing this before.

Anyone experience the same thing?
Similar to my issue but in the opposite direction. I would be more concerned in your situation for sure. Don't want to go into free spool mode when under load.

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Similar to my issue but in the opposite direction. I would be more concerned in your situation for sure. Don't want to go into free spool mode when under load.
Exactly! If it were to go into free-spool under load that would be an extremely dangerous situation.

It was below freezing when I was winching and the front of the Jeep was iced over (ice chunks) so I am thinking maybe the clutch wasn’t fully engaged to begin with. Will give it another try and see if I can duplicate the problem.

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Tested the winch today under load and made sure the clutch lever was fully engaged and noticed the same issue as before.

The clutch lever moves about 1/4 of the way towards disengage under load. It does not go the full way though.

With no load the clutch lever does not move at all when winching.

I also tested the auto brake feature (which prevents the free-spooling of winch line when clutch is engaged) of the winch as well to make sure it’s working properly. It definitely works 100%.

So my conclusion is that the clutch is definitely engaged and working properly but I can’t tell for sure if the clutch lever issue is just cosmetic or what.. I really don’t feel like pulling the winch off to diagnose further since it functions correctly.

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I dropped an email to Warn about the clutch issue I noticed. Will update once I hear back from them.

Sponsored

Pepe My Little Mule

First Name
J.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep 4.7L; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
I dropped an email to Warn about the clutch issue I noticed. Will update once I hear back from them.
You might be better served calling them directly. My experience with Warn responding to emails has been piss poor.

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
You might be better served calling them directly. My experience with Warn responding to emails has been piss poor.
Will try that in a few days.

If I recall correctly, there is a small set screw in the end housing itself which retains the clutch lever. I wonder if somehow that screw is just loose... But I am not going to mess with it until I hear back from Warn anyhow.

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Funny thing just got a response back from Warn!

They actually said that they have designed a bolt-on clutch lever lock which prevents this from happening. They are out of them now, but they are going to send me one free next month.

So apparently this is a known issue...

Will add a pic once I get it in and installed. Hopefully it doesn't require removal of the bumper.

OP
OP
OversandJL

OversandJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Funny thing just got a response back from Warn!

They actually said that they have designed a bolt-on clutch lever lock which prevents this from happening. They are out of them now, but they are going to send me one free next month.

So apparently this is a known issue...

Will add a pic once I get it in and installed. Hopefully it doesn't require removal of the bumper.
I'm interested as well.