Sponsored

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sportaharacon
So this will be a few part review as I get used to the newly tuned Jeep. I purchased the Mycalibrator [info/discussion thread here] with a new unlocked PCM so I can go back to stock at any time for service work.

Part 1: Setup and install
  • It takes a bit of back and forth between ordering, receiving the parts, and sending the tune file back and forth. Mostly because they had to load my factory tune into the new PCM and add my strategy. I believe it took me about 2 weeks from start to finish. All in all Livernois was absolutely excellent to deal with. Very responsive and answered ever question I had. Blows the competing companies out of the water.
  • The install is pretty much cake, although I had old instructions for the bypass cable and could not figure out where it plugged into the CanBus junction. FYI, it is behind the glove-box on the lower left. Act like you are replacing the cabin filter and its right there. Super easy. I swapped PCM's in about 15 minutes. Again, cake walk as it's only 3 bolts and two poorly made lever locks. I do wish that Livernois warned me that the jeep will run like crap on first start up as the new PCM is in fault mode. Tensed my backside a bit. One restart and I was good to go.
  • 3 weeks in - After talking to a couple other guys, I thought I would make a few additional notes to save people trouble. The Jeep lever locks on the PCM appear to be dog shit and will break or at least try to pop apart as you lift them. Use a flat head screw driver to slowly and gently pry(push) along the top as you lift the lever locks(I use the pcm body for leverage). It also helps to press a finger against the back of the connector so they don't pop apart at the bottom(Fixable but very annoying and time consuming). You will need a small flat head screw driver to unplug the bypass cable from the CANBUS junction. There is a little press latch on top that keeps it plugged in. I would also avoid plugging into the far left connector as that is harder to wedge in a screw driver. I used one small flat head screw driver pressed into the latch and another one to lightly pry up. I only needed the second screw driver the first time or two I unplugged it, otherwise one was enough.

Part 2: Programming
  • Again, easy as can be. Follow the instructions and load your performance tune and the transmission tune(if you want). Takes a minute or two for each to load. Just don't unplug the CanBus cable while the vehicle is in run or accessory when you are done. If you do it will throw a code or two and you will need to clear them to continue. Livernois service was fantastic here too. Answered absolutely everything for my plethora of calls and emails.

Part 3: Performance (after 1 day of driving)
  • The 93 tune is great. The engine runs so smooth and there are no real missing points in the power band. And even better it somehow shut up the god awful loud radiator fan. Its still on, just quieter. That might have been worth the price for the new PCM alone. The idle is smoother and quieter and the gas pedal takes little effort to get you anywhere without feeling aggressive. 93 and the stock transmission setting you get the extra power and it just cruises so nicely.
  • The transmission tune is also very good so far. It is a bit more aggressive and compliments the extra power without a doubt. When I had the Superchips Pulsar I found the throttle/transmission modification to be way to aggressive in comparison. If you have a mall crawler you may prefer stock but that is so subjective as I am nit picking here. Lets see how it learns my driving style over the next week or two. After ~200 miles the transmission tune is great. Not sure I will flip it back to stock ever.

Minor probably unrelated issue.
  • My AC fan now has a max speed of wherever it was set on start up. It will go lower but not higher unless I turn the fan speed up and restart the Jeep. Everything else is normal. I rather doubt the tune or PCM caused this as they should be separate systems, but it never ever did this until I put the PCM/tune in and it has done it on every drive since. Maybe its because I added the 7" screen previously? We shall see.
  • Edit: It looks like Livernois already figured it out(in less than 24 hours). Fully disabling ESS caused some type of error. New tune is in with ESS on and I am all good. Their service is really excellent.

All in all it is a top notch product and I am happy after a day of use. I will see how it learns over the next week and add more info as we go.

Follow up Review - 300 miles and 4 days in
I have run both the 87 tune and the 93 tune with the transmission tune on and off. No matter what tune is used the engine is sooooo much smoother now. No dead spots in the power band like stock and I can cruise without that dead spot around 1500 rpm. My mileage is shooting up(when I don't get on it for fun) and even the 87 tune is worth the price of admission. Such an improvement all around. So far I can't recommend this enough!

Additional Notes after a few weeks
2 weeks in - This tuner is still fantastic and now that I have tried going back to stock for a service visit, I am more impressed by the tuner than ever. The Jeep feels like a real slug when "stock". Even using only the transmission tune its an impressive upgrade. One kind of important tidbit I learned is that the transmission tune does not actually sit in the PCM and resides in the transmission itself. This means you need to revert to "stock" on the tuner before swapping PCM's for a service visit. The transmission tune will stay in the transmission even if you swap back to the stock PCM.
2 weeks in - I also am getting a DTC code P0576 which seems to be related to the tuner somehow. It does not affect driveability in any way, but keeps coming back. Trying to narrow this down by going back to "stock" for 5 days. Might be fixed......may be an EEPROM issue.
Edit: It appears to be an EEPROM issue. Did a simple read, swap and write per Livernois and back to normal as of the last 4 days. I will not describe the procedure in full, as I don't want anyone to do something they shouldn't, even though it was easy enough.

Big edit: Dropping this review to a 1 out of 5. Awesome tune but I have had two sensor not ready for months and can't pass an inspection without swapping ecu's. Livernois has not responded on here or by email for months. Super frustrating but thankfully no other issues minus not ready sensors.

Going to update the above and say still 5 out of 5 on quality of tune. Never was able to figure out the sensor issue as I traded in the Jeep due to paint bubbling on the doors. Livernois did reach out and has been helping to fix the problem but they didn't get enough time due to the sudden trade in. Still a great company to work with and I highly recommend.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
General probably would get more attention although I think it will be of more use here in the long run. Based on the lack of info for other tuners I want to make sure people can find this here.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
General probably would get more attention although I think it will be of more use here in the long run. Based on the lack of info for other tuners I want to make sure people can find this here.
Copy and past, 2 threads....easy.

tampahoosier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD and 2005 TJ
Curious to see if anyone will run E85 to get that max claimed 50HP. I’m very interested in this tune, it’s a heck of a lot cheaper than the hamburger install I’m interested in too.

Sponsored

OP
OP

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thats funny a mod must have edited my title and post at some point.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Follow up Review - 300 miles and 4 days in
I have run both the 87 tune and the 93 tune with the transmission tune on and off. No matter what tune is used the engine is sooooo much smoother now. No dead spots in the power band like stock and I can cruise without that dead spot around 1500 rpm. My mileage is shooting up(when I dont get on it for fun) and even the 87 tune is worth the price of admission. Such an improvement all around. So far I can't recommend this enough!
When you tried the 87 and 93 tune, did you run fresh tanks of fuel with those ratings or was it the same fuel?

Also, could you describe how to check for the dead spot you mentioned at around 1500 rpm? Is this when crawling? I rarely stay at that RPM under normal use to notice.

OP
OP

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ran both tunes with 93 in the tank.

The dead spot feel like the engine hesitates on light throttle around that rpm. It also does it in other ranges to. You give it a little gas but nothing happens basically.

Sponsored

Alamein.sajib

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Firecracker RED JLUR
Just got mine delivered, similar to you, got a spare unlocked PCM (also no other choice being in Australia and the back and forth shipping challenge).

Will swap the PCM later this week. Looking forward to the flexfuel option (E85/93).

OP
OP

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Enjoy! Its better than I expected.

OP
OP

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So far nothing other than my ESS note in my review.