Sponsored

Things you have learned the Hard way about owning a Jeep.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
If you have the top down and tube doors on when you go to pick up a pizza, place said pizza on the passenger seat with the front of the box facing towards you. If you place it with the front facing the door or the dash, the wind will blow the lid open and the pizza will levitate like a UFO and then you'll be scraping toppings off the inside when you get home because you panic slammed the lid closed.
Dominos has insurance on their pizzas for carry out, right? :CWL:
Sponsored

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
I go on to help newbies to Jeeps. I also almost always provide a link to this forum so they can get a higher quality of assistance and knowledge.

Regarding Facebook posts about "what do you think of this add-on", I read for pure entertainment.
Ive met several new jeepers that are asking ??s on basic mods like bumpers, lifts, etc...or other questions. I can’t tell you the # of people I’ve given the link to for this forum. Yet I’ve yet to see hardly any on here. They just want the info handed to them. :facepalm: Hope your direction has helped others!

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
4 of us going on a trip, women in the back, my wife who seemingly has a coffee cup sewn to her hand puts the cup down on the center console in the back like it’s a table while I’m driving. Hence one left turn and hot sugar water all over the floor.
I learned to unlatch and fold down the rear center headrest before she gets in the back so she has those 2 cup holders available.
It’s like having a child back there!

Sponsored

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
There are many things to learn about owning a Jeep that you will never learn while owning a different vehicle. Share your experience here.

So, I learned something new yesterday. If you have the top off, the doors off and fold down your windshield and then try and drink hot coffee out of an open cup... In my case a Styrofoam cup, the hot coffee will blow all over your face, sunglasses and into your hair (if you have hair) while driving. Thank God, I had sunglasses on or I would have had hot coffee scalding my eye balls.

Lesson learned.........
As of late I've spilled pretty much everything on me from coffee to opening sodas blasting overspray to a jug of oil that my daughter sat on. NOW I just spill it onto myself before entering the Jeep, !!

JohnT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
4-minutemiles.weebly.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
1. Never trust the dealer's service department
2. They DO hold water
3. 25 degrees C (Canada) is the limit for top-down long drive without getting uncomfortable, any hotter is ok.
4. BEST VEHICLE EVER!

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
1. Never trust the dealer's service department
2. They DO hold water
3. 25 degrees C (Canada) is the limit for top-down long drive without getting uncomfortable, any hotter is ok.
4. BEST VEHICLE EVER!
You didn’t get the cold weather package?

With the seats going I’d say it’s comfy down to about 15°C or so.

Archie PJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Punk"n
I love my Kuat rack, but agree any hitch rack can be an issue for Jeeps. Most likely, you will need an extension, at a minimum, and some sort of swing away attachment to really make your life easier. I have been giving serious consideration to the Kuat Pivot, but the damn thing is almost as expensive as the rack. :(
With my Kuat, the 3-4" drop also provided the necessary extension length. I put the Kuat in the bike-loaded position, then pivot it on past that stop, as low as it will go. The rear door clears by about 1/2". No fancy, heavy, expensive swing-away system required! ;)

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
With my Kuat, the 3-4" drop also provided the necessary extension length. I put the Kuat in the bike-loaded position, then pivot it on past that stop, as low as it will go. The rear door clears by about 1/2". No fancy, heavy, expensive swing-away system required! ;)
Hi Archie, is your Sahara Punk’n? Looks awesome on your avatar.

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
As soon as you get your Jeep all nakkid, doors off, top off windshield down and get it super cleaned up. You will drive it one day and then have to put it all back on to head north and go camping and get it dirty again. I think I have about 20 hours into cleaning and detailing. Finished thursday morning. Painted diff skid plates touch up the frame and Jeep skids with black paint. waxed the fuck out of it detailed the whole thing so it was spotless. Take the Jeep to a car show and win best in class last night. This morning, doors, and top back on. Installed the Bestop Sunrider and pack the camper to head north to get dirty over the weekend. I am almost tempered to take th SBXJ and tent camp.
i think you have a little too much time on your hands for being retired. most retired folks dont have nearly that much time like you do. you got to pick up some sort of hobby to fill in the time.

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Granite Crystal 6MT
As soon as you get your Jeep all nakkid, doors off, top off windshield down and get it super cleaned up. You will drive it one day and then have to put it all back on to head north and go camping and get it dirty again. I think I have about 20 hours into cleaning and detailing. Finished thursday morning. Painted diff skid plates touch up the frame and Jeep skids with black paint. waxed the fuck out of it detailed the whole thing so it was spotless. Take the Jeep to a car show and win best in class last night. This morning, doors, and top back on. Installed the Bestop Sunrider and pack the camper to head north to get dirty over the weekend. I am almost tempered to take th SBXJ and tent camp.
What do you use for painting / touch up and also any polishing and scratches?!

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
i think you have a little too much time on your hands for being retired. most retired folks dont have nearly that much time like you do. you got to pick up some sort of hobby to fill in the time.
For real. The retired people I know sit at home with bad knees and watch lots of tv. Not sure what is up with him. His wife seems as if she is enjoying all the fun as well.

Very suspicious couple, I say...

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
For real. The retired people I know sit at home with bad knees and watch lots of tv. Not sure what is up with him. His wife seems as if she is enjoying all the fun as well.

Very suspicious couple, I say...
:CWL: most of the retires i know is usaully keep moving because they cant sit around all day. a couple of them i know starts their retirement doing the honey to do list and or past due renovations. i now when i retire, i'm going to do things at my time and pace. i cant sit around, it get too boring.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Leaving on Wednesday to camp for 5 days along the river, then the following weekend, will be camping at Silver Lake Sand Dunes, home for a weekend as I am a photographer for a wedding. Prep the Jeep and camper for a Jeeping in Virginia, for a badge, then two days camping on the outer bands of North Carolina, and then grab another badge trail in North Carolina, before heading home. Then a weekend of boating....... and it will be the 3rd week of September. Time is flying. Only one for wheeling trip after that in October to West Virginia for another badge. Then of course if they get the new Off Road park open in Holly Michigan, I will have to swing through there also.

We are refining our Jeep camping and driving skills for when we full time out of a Jeep and off road from Arizona to Alaska in 2o22.

And this is why I saved for so long......
Sponsored