Sponsored

HAM, CB, FRS, GMRS, Etc... what is your setup?

What is your off-road comms setup?

• HAM

• CB

• FRS

• GMRS

Results are only viewable after voting.

DirtRoad

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I might add too (regarding my overall setup) that my mic is on the move and I’m working on panel mounting a pair of external speakers on my roll bar. I’ll post up some pics of the results soon if it works out. Otherwise, I’ll be buying a new trim panel for my roll bar! Lol

Update 7/19, made the speakers work!

546EB108-DCBE-4C85-9E83-55C60403F41D.jpeg

0BF2A5B4-0EF4-4E56-80E5-A33E44FE56DE.jpeg

D9ACFB2A-8045-477F-9D92-A40E058F8BBD.jpeg
That looks really great.
Sponsored

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I might add too (regarding my overall setup) that my mic is on the move and I’m working on panel mounting a pair of external speakers on my roll bar. I’ll post up some pics of the results soon if it works out. Otherwise, I’ll be buying a new trim panel for my roll bar! Lol

Update 7/19, made the speakers work!

546EB108-DCBE-4C85-9E83-55C60403F41D.jpeg

0BF2A5B4-0EF4-4E56-80E5-A33E44FE56DE.jpeg

D9ACFB2A-8045-477F-9D92-A40E058F8BBD.jpeg
Setup looks good. Got a link or part number for the speaker? how did you mount the speaker grille? Thanks

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
Setup looks good. Got a link or part number for the speaker? how did you mount the speaker grille? Thanks
They are the RoadPro RPSP-15 speaker. They look identical to the now discontinued Kenwood KES-3 speakers which is what got me looking at them in the first place. I'm guessing they're made by the same manufacturer as you can find these speakers with a few different brand's logos on them. Turns out they have excellent reviews, both on Amazon, and on a number of CB/Ham related forums (especially for a $16 speaker).

When you remove the grilles from the original enclosures, you'll see they have the threaded bosses for the 4 mounting screws. You just need to drill a matching pattern in your trim panel and screw it on. You'll notice I put washers under the screw heads. This keeps the speaker itself in place as the original enclosure handles that duty on an unmodified speaker. I really don't think you could find a better speaker to shoehorn into this spot, and you definitely can't go any bigger without making a custom bezel for the grill. Be warned... while the driver side is a piece of cake to install, the passenger side takes some very careful planning as there is a wiring harness that takes up most of the real estate where the speaker magnet needs to go.

Jeep Wrangler JL HAM, CB, FRS, GMRS, Etc... what is your setup? 578A4B40-C9EC-4952-A3BE-64A8B3EE1D3D

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
They are the RoadPro RPSP-15 speaker. They look identical to the now discontinued Kenwood KES-3 speakers which is what got me looking at them in the first place. I'm guessing they're made by the same manufacturer as you can find these speakers with a few different brand's logos on them. Turns out they have excellent reviews, both on Amazon, and on a number of CB/Ham related forums (especially for a $16 speaker).

When you remove the grilles from the original enclosures, you'll see they have the threaded bosses for the 4 mounting screws. You just need to drill a matching pattern in your trim panel and screw it on. You'll notice I put washers under the screw heads. This keeps the speaker itself in place as the original enclosure handles that duty on an unmodified speaker. I really don't think you could find a better speaker to shoehorn into this spot, and you definitely can't go any bigger without making a custom bezel for the grill. Be warned... while the driver side is a piece of cake to install, the passenger side takes some very careful planning as there is a wiring harness that takes up most of the real estate where the speaker magnet needs to go.

Jeep Wrangler JL HAM, CB, FRS, GMRS, Etc... what is your setup? 578A4B40-C9EC-4952-A3BE-64A8B3EE1D3D

Thanks for the heads up. I will most likely only be putting 1 speaker above the driver side. I know that the FTM300 has dual output for each band but i dont think that would be necessary for my use.

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
Thanks for the heads up. I will most likely only be putting 1 speaker above the driver side. I know that the FTM300 has dual output for each band but i dont think that would be necessary for my use.
Yeah, I rarely use the second one since my B band is typically doing APRS duty. I just like the symmetry. Lol

Sponsored

Punk'n Willy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU 3.6L Punk'n Willys
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
Vehicle Showcase
To answer the original question...
I have all 3, ham, GMRS/FRS, and CB in that order of preference.
Ham radio for its capabilities...and that I am a ham hobbyist.
GMRS because it is slowly gaining popularity (Jeep Jamboree has transitioned to GMRS) and it allows my wife and I to talk since we have to take 2 vehicles to go camping. Cities may also have GMRS repeaters which will extend your range. The local GMRS repeater here has at least a 60-mile range. GMRS also works with FRS handhelds so if someone didn't have a radio or weren't licensed or was out of their rig spotting you could throw them an FRS handheld.
CB because there are still groups that love their 70s technology....or don't want to jack with the licensing. In areas with active logging operations, CB may be useful to know where the logging trucks are so you can get out of their way.
So excuse my ignorance on the subject, I'm new to all of this. With something like Jeep Jamboree moving to GMRS would this be something that has enough power in the community to make it the new standard? I have no issues paying a license fee or taking a test, I'm just not sure I want all these radios floating around my Jeep, just seems like overkill.

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
So excuse my ignorance on the subject, I'm new to all of this. With something like Jeep Jamboree moving to GMRS would this be something that has enough power in the community to make it the new standard? I have no issues paying a license fee or taking a test, I'm just not sure I want all these radios floating around my Jeep, just seems like overkill.
Will more people use GMRS because of Jeep Jamboree adopting it? Likely. Will it become the new "standard" because of Jeep Jamboree adopting it? Doubt it. I hate to say it, but there's no perfect solution. It really depends on your needs.

I'll share my recent experience... I just ran the Rubicon this week. Coincidentally, Jeep Jamboree will be there this coming weekend and preparations were already underway at Rubicon Springs for the arrival of guests. I had both Ham and CB radios in my Jeep. I also had my Ham programmed to scan GMRS and FRS frequencies. The only CB traffic I heard was the group I was with. I heard zero FRS traffic. I heard one call and reply on GMRS on my drive home from the trail.

Meanwhile, there are Ham repeaters on the El Dorado side of the Rubicon, the Tahoe side of the Rubicon, and one repeater near Spider Lake along the Rubicon. Depending on the frequency/tone combination you use, you can talk amongst your group (simplex), to anyone within range of the closest repeater (repeated), or to anyone within range of all three repeaters at the same time (linked). I heard conversations amongst many various people. One was coordinating the availability of replacement axle shafts for someone stranded on the trail. Another was checking part numbers and stock status of wheel cylinders at local auto parts stores for delivery to the trail. Another was helping locate a shop that would be capable of removing a broken piece of axle shaft from a Dana 35 carrier (think this was the same folks looking for the shafts). There were also a few people just working on getting their rigs dialed in on the trail, at the Lake, and in their RVs. Numerous people also just checking in to advise they were monitoring the repeater. If I had and/or witnessed an emergency along the trail, Ham is the only one I'd be confident to rely upon to get me the help I needed. I'm sure there will be plenty of chatter on GMRS this weekend though while the Jamboree is underway.

LUV2JEEP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 F150 XLT
I'm offroading in Arkansas and speaking with guys back home in Tulsa (140 miles away) using Ham on linked repeater system. Technician license is a hard 1 day study or a easy 2 day study. I do like GMRS also.

Punk'n Willy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
Vehicle Showcase
I also had my Ham programmed to scan GMRS and FRS frequencies.
So am I understanding you correctly, can you talk to people on GMRS with a HAM you just can't talk to CB?

Thanks for the information and the explanation.

Sponsored

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
So am I understanding you correctly, can you talk to people on GMRS with a HAM you just can't talk to CB?

Yep. HAM and GMRS are on frequencies that are really close so a HAM can be modified to work GMRS. It's in the 460+ MHZ range. CB is totally different frequencies 27 MHZ range.

LUV2JEEP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 F150 XLT

You can listen to GMRS frequencies which are UHF (462 Mhz) but cannot talk (legally). CB frequencies (technically at the high end of HF) are to low for UHF/VHF ham radios to receive on.

D90John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon diesel
Vehicle Showcase
I know the recommendation of which to choose is "what does everyone else have in your group?", but wanted to see which way the people in this group are leaning. Oh and feel free to share your setup and callsign if you have one.

My setup is currently a Baofeng UV-5R though I am considering Yaesu FT-3DR
I’ve run HAM for 30 years in all my overlanding rigs. My old favorite is the KenwoodTM-D700. It’s dual band and runs APRS as well so you can “see” on your GPS where your friends with like systems are on the road. Hand held GMRS radio is available when needed. N7LID
de KF0AIV
[/QUOTE

Punk'n Willy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
Vehicle Showcase
Yep. HAM and GMRS are on frequencies that are really close so a HAM can be modified to work GMRS. It's in the 460+ MHZ range. CB is totally different frequencies 27 MHZ range.
You can listen to GMRS frequencies which are UHF (462 Mhz) but cannot talk (legally). CB frequencies (technically at the high end of HF) are to low for UHF/VHF ham radios to receive on.
Ok thanks guys, sounds like HAM for main radio and a handheld GMRS for those just in case situations.

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
Ok thanks guys, sounds like HAM for main radio and a handheld GMRS for those just in case situations.
I keep a handheld radio on GMRS in my Jeep also. It's good when someone wants to spot me or photograph my run from outside the Jeep.
Sponsored