NathanG

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Thought of something else...Does anyone else find the wires going to the doors kind of annoying? I haven't seen any comments on them, but mine poke my ankle while I'm driving. It's just annoying. Has anyone figured out a way to make them lay flat?
I tied a loop of paracord to the hinge and the wires. It holds it away from my leg.
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara

ajasper6579

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 4-Door Rubicon
Occupation
Advertising
I tied a loop of paracord to the hinge and the wires. It holds it away from my leg.
Any chance you can take a picture? Apologies but I'm having a hard time visualizing.

NathanG

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Open the door and look at the lower hinge. Get some parachuted or a shoelace and tie a loop about 4 inches in diameter around the hinge and the wire support.It won’t be really tight when the door is open. When you shut the door it will tighten up and hold it out of the way.

Sponsored

NathanG

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Unless you were referring to my genitals. Then the answer is no. No I will not take a picture.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
My only issue with my 2019 Sport S is the goofy UConnect 3 Radio with the 5" display. I swear a 1955 Studebaker had a better factory radio than this POS!

Don't get me started on just how GD awful this sorry excuse for dead weight dash space this contraption actually is. It can't even act as a simple clock. Every UC3 ever manufactured, loses up to 5 minutes a month. That's one hour per year. Hey maybe it's their answer to an automatic Daylight Standard time adjustment mechanism. It only works in the autumn, but hey, these incompetent fools tried...

I personally did make it a little more manageable by finding a Viatech Satellite interface that hooked in through the USB and appears as an 'iPOD' device. At least this way I didn't have to screw up the cockpit by glueing in yet some other ugly SiriusXM head unit on the dash somewhere. As the only benefit, I can use the steering wheel pushbuttons to change channels and adjust volume to the satellite receiver, as it's now integrated into the radio directly. Wow I'm now almost not ashamed of this garbage.

My absolute biggest gripe bar none is that the radio's normal tuning and volume knobs are on the radio and not the HVAC panel as with all other UConnect 4, 7 or 9" screen variants. I understand that the larger screens needed the dashboard real-estate so that is why both the tuning and volume knobs have been removed from the radio and placed on the HVAC panel.

Some idiot FCA Manager who couldn't understand that there is zero chance to upgrade this UC3 to a UC4 or any other third-party provided larger screen solution without a crap tonne of complications should be fired and criminally charged for gross engineering negligence and/or product design malfeasance.

FCA clearly doesn't understand system integration or the importance of customer satisfaction in terms of any audio options on the Sport. If you were stupid enough to have purchased a lower model Sport it's 'up yours you sorry cheapskate, you should have gone even further in debt and bought the Sahara or Rubicon'.

If FCA would have been intelligent enough to have realized that all of it's radio offerings should have had a common HVAC interface, then they could have SEAMLESSLY been able to make a mint at selling UC4 upgrade kits to probably each and every poor soul stuck buying a Sport with the UC3.

They'd have made many many millions in extra profit.

Unfortunately if you now were to attempt to upgrade to a UC4, sorry but only the driver has the ability to change channels or volume. The dealership will not even entertain replacing the HVAC panel due to the complicated rewiring and reprogramming of all the body and engine controllers involved. Some third party vendors do however have virtual control knobs through their display. So as long as you opt for the non FCA brand (such as JVC and perhaps others) you could potentially pull it off. But then you may be surprised to learn that you've just lost your custom Jeep personalizations as provided through the UC3 or 4 settings mechanisms.

FCA you earn a B+ with the vehicle, but an F- with the UC3. I'd easily give the Wrangler an A or A+ overall if you could of just put that vacuum tube 1955 vintage radio in my Jeep instead.

Jay

Thegrants82

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
My only issue with my 2019 Sport S is the goofy UConnect 3 Radio with the 5" display. I swear a 1955 Studebaker had a better factory radio than this POS!

Don't get me started on just how GD awful this sorry excuse for dead weight dash space this contraption actually is. It can't even act as a simple clock. Every UC3 ever manufactured, loses up to 5 minutes a month. That's one hour per year. Hey maybe it's their answer to an automatic Daylight Standard time adjustment mechanism. It only works in the autumn, but hey, these incompetent fools tried...

I personally did make it a little more manageable by finding a Viatech Satellite interface that hooked in through the USB and appears as an 'iPOD' device. At least this way I didn't have to screw up the cockpit by glueing in yet some other ugly SiriusXM head unit on the dash somewhere. As the only benefit, I can use the steering wheel pushbuttons to change channels and adjust volume to the satellite receiver, as it's now integrated into the radio directly. Wow I'm now almost not ashamed of this garbage.

My absolute biggest gripe bar none is that the radio's normal tuning and volume knobs are on the radio and not the HVAC panel as with all other UConnect 4, 7 or 9" screen variants. I understand that the larger screens needed the dashboard real-estate so that is why both the tuning and volume knobs have been removed from the radio and placed on the HVAC panel.

Some idiot FCA Manager who couldn't understand that there is zero chance to upgrade this UC3 to a UC4 or any other third-party provided larger screen solution without a crap tonne of complications should be fired and criminally charged for gross engineering negligence and/or product design malfeasance.

FCA clearly doesn't understand system integration or the importance of customer satisfaction in terms of any audio options on the Sport. If you were stupid enough to have purchased a lower model Sport it's 'up yours you sorry cheapskate, you should have gone even further in debt and bought the Sahara or Rubicon'.

If FCA would have been intelligent enough to have realized that all of it's radio offerings should have had a common HVAC interface, then they could have SEAMLESSLY been able to make a mint at selling UC4 upgrade kits to probably each and every poor soul stuck buying a Sport with the UC3.

They'd have made many many millions in extra profit.

Unfortunately if you now were to attempt to upgrade to a UC4, sorry but only the driver has the ability to change channels or volume. The dealership will not even entertain replacing the HVAC panel due to the complicated rewiring and reprogramming of all the body and engine controllers involved. Some third party vendors do however have virtual control knobs through their display. So as long as you opt for the non FCA brand (such as JVC and perhaps others) you could potentially pull it off. But then you may be surprised to learn that you've just lost your custom Jeep personalizations as provided through the UC3 or 4 settings mechanisms.

FCA you earn a B+ with the vehicle, but an F- with the UC3. I'd easily give the Wrangler an A or A+ overall if you could of just put that vacuum tube 1955 vintage radio in my Jeep instead.

Jay
UC3 to UC4 is a reality dude, just google how to do it.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UC3 to UC4 is a reality dude, just google how to do it.
I'm not saying (or implying) that its impossible to upgrade from UC3 to UC4. Its just not SEAMLESS. You have to lose some amount of functionality in the process.

But a lame UC4 is infinitesimally better than the UC3. I would in fact recommend to anyone to rip the UC3 entirely out of their rig altogether and replace it with a 14 transistor hand-held AM/FM radio. You likely won't regret it.

Jay

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Since I have not read all 37 pages, I am not sure if these have been mentioned or not...

1, It would be nice to have larger, power-fold mirrors with a built-in convex mirror similar to what FCA has on the new Ram 1500's. They would not have to be quite as big but defiantly larger than current ones.

2, I am sure this one has been mentioned already: A thicker more break-resistant windshield!

3, It would be nice if the door armrest 'pockets' were recessed deeper for a bit more arm/shoulder room...

4, Better designed/more robust seat release levers/mechanisms for folding the front seats on 2-door models for access to the rear seat.

5, A positive locking mechanism on the rear seat on 2-door models to lock the seat in place when folded forward.

6, A larger gas tank than the tiny 17.5 gallon tank on the 2-door models.

7, Most everything else is either good or something I am already dealing with.

Sponsored

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4, Better designed/more robust seat release levers/mechanisms for folding the front seats on 2-door models for access to the rear seat.

5, A positive locking mechanism on the rear seat on 2-door models to lock the seat in place when folded forward.

Most everything else is either good or something I am already dealing with.
Mike I also absolutely agree with all your points. My fix for all the rear seat issues was simple; just completely remove the seat altogether. Now I have a nice big cargo area that anyone would be envious of.

Granted that may not be very practical if you need to haul around other humans, but if you really (really) needed the back seat I'm certain you would have opted for the ubiquitous, but uglier, 'unlimited' thing-a-ma-jiggy.

Jay

Bill C

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 BMW 330xi, 2013 VW Tiguan SE
It's comical how many so called wrangler fans want sissy electronic complications like push button starts. Not even want them, but they rave about them! You can keep your keys in your purse, one so called man said!

Why should I desire a push button start? I am not some prius freak or woman who likes to push buttons just for the sake of pushing buttons, I also don't care for the extra electronic complexity that come along with them. Not to mention the pain in the ass of having to find a place to put your keys. I wonder how much the % of people locking themselves out of their vehicles increased from turn key ignitions to push button starts?

I can also think of plenty of reasons why I would NOT want a push button start. If the key is inside the vehicle, anyone who wants can start it up even against the owner's wishes by just pushing the button. Doesn't matter who has possession of the key, it's whoever pushes the button. Think hostage situation, or unruly kids, or drunk driver (no you can't drive, ops, you just pushed the button, guess you can!) I don't want any random person to be able to start up the vehicle with a push of a button just because the key happens to be somewhere inside the vehicle, not sure why anyone would?

I mean the comments here really crack me up, one guy said he loves the slanted windshield just like his toyota! Maybe he should just get his toyota then as a wrangler is clearly not for him?

People who need back up cameras (how can you need that with the size of the side mirrors??? "Blind spot awareness", auto parallel parking, etc need to learn how to drive and be less dependent on having the vehicle do it for them. Though the people who love this will be the same ones who herald the coming of the self driving car. Before you know it, being able to drive yourself will be against the law (for the children).

I also get a chuckle out of the people who say "Who gives a shit about one less gallon of gas" then then in the same paragraph go "we can't have mud tires because of the gas mileage!"

Obviously lots of people are confused, and don't even know what the hell they're talking about. These are the people who will turn the wrangler into what the new Ford Explorer as become.

"We need the wrangler to change to get mass appeal", and once the wrangler is pussied up under that guise, it will no longer be a wrangler (unique and different) and it is at that moment that you will then LOOSE all mass appeal.
Pitty you if you need to turn a key to confirm your masculinity

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
I'm not saying (or implying) that its impossible to upgrade from UC3 to UC4. Its just not SEAMLESS. You have to lose some amount of functionality in the process.

But a lame UC4 is infinitesimally better than the UC3. I would in fact recommend to anyone to rip the UC3 entirely out of their rig altogether and replace it with a 14 transistor hand-held AM/FM radio. You likely won't regret it.

Jay
Maybe I'm an outlier (wouldn't be the first time), but I have zero issue with the 5" setup. The phone syncs fine, I can make calls, stream music from my phone no problem or use the radio. Controls on the steering wheel work - even Siri is a button push away. My 2m/70cm radio doesn't integrate but I don't think it does with anything else.

I don't feel like I'm missing anything, but I'm coming from a '15 GTI that has about the same size screen and functionality. But further evidence I'm an outlier is I refuse to use Bluetooth on my motorcycle, or with any of my amateur radios. So maybe I'm a semi-luddite :like:

Sparky1352

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Recon
Here’s the humor of every forum in the history of the interwebz....

If you start a thread about a topic that already has it’s own thread, someone will let you know you should have researched the forum because the topic has already been covered. This usually happens within the first 5 replies to the newly started, yet redundant thread.

On the other side of the coin, if you have something to contribute to the forum and post it to a thread that has been dead for quite a while (instead of starting a new thread about said topic), someone will make a comment, sometimes funny (like the meme above) sometimes snide, letting you know you’re beating a dead horse.

Ain’t humanity great!

Seriously though, I LOL’d at the meme.
Sponsored