• Total voters

702SaharaJL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Bikini Blue
Most everyone I know that's done it just pays via credit card....but if they are smart, they just use it as a free 28 day loan and pay off the balance each month.

Back in the day, there were 0% interest 1-1.5 year balance transfers and no fee to transfer balances....I effectively built my first buggy on credit and never paid any interest for the 3 years it took to build.

Now, I just buy on credit, pay off the balance. For big projects, it's often easier to just buy a little at a time....
ding ding ding!

I did this when I was finishing my FXR..Found a new CC with 0% for 18 months, MAXED it, took 18 months to pay off...it was great...Now I need to find a similar situation for my Jeep!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Surfwagon

Surfwagon

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
I apologize for misunderstanding your intentions. It certainly read like you're a whiny bitch. I'm probably conditioned to it since the internet is full of it. Being a home owner and having your financial priorities in tact, AKA... not Jeeps, seems like you're a good dude.

I appreciate the fact you can step up for yourself.

How many kids do you have? Serious question.
Two young kids. In my mid 40’s...started late. You?

Been around Internet forums going on 20 years, I get it....started with a Chevy forum a loooong time ago, moving on to BMW forums and now Jeeps (I skipped doing any Ford forums during that brief stint of owning one).

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Two young kids. In my mid 40’s...started late. You?

Been around Internet forums going on 20 years, I get it....started with a Chevy forum a loooong time ago, moving on to BMW forums and now Jeeps (I skipped doing any Ford forums during that brief stint of owning one).

I probably have had all the toys because I don't have kids. Momma usually has a different feel for mods when the kids gotta eat. So we've had a bunch of freedom that way. I grew up in KS which is very cheap living. Instead of friends I have in Commiefornia where it is very expensive to live.

I'm willing to bet that if you made the Jeep on tons thing a priority it would probably happen.

Now ask yourself if you really need to spend all that money on a Jeep to have a good time.

OP
OP
Surfwagon

Surfwagon

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
I probably have had all the toys because I don't have kids. Momma usually has a different feel for mods when the kids gotta eat. So we've had a bunch of freedom that way. I grew up in KS which is very cheap living. Instead of friends I have in Commiefornia where it is very expensive to live.

I'm willing to bet that if you made the Jeep on tons thing a priority it would probably happen.

Now ask yourself if you really need to spend all that money on a Jeep to have a good time.
Considering I’m driving a JL Sport S with D30/35 on 37’s....my “fun” is gonna be limited a bit.

Long term I hope to upgrade to built D44’s....maybe junkyard 60’s.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Considering I’m driving a JL Sport S with D30/35 on 37’s....my “fun” is gonna be limited a bit.

Long term I hope to upgrade to built D44’s....maybe junkyard 60’s.
You'd have issues running King of the Hammers. But you can still have 90% of the fun with your current setup. It isn't all hill climbs and YouTube. My JL is one of my lesser built Jeeps but the trails and stuff we go on has been so much more enjoyable.

The internet is a great place to get mixed messages about what is possible with the stock setup. Most of it is down to how big your right foot is. LOL

Sponsored

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Not everyone is as sensitive around here as you seem to be about it.

It's called a different style of adulting. While I personally don't subscribe to it, I'm a big boy and realize not everyone has the same views.

In this cancel culture.... I'm doomed. LOL

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I’m not hating, I’m just honestly curious. It just fascinates me when people spend $35-60k on any model JL and then spend an additional chunk for that kind of upgrade.
But you just spent quite some money to put 37s on "weak" axles.... are you actually wheeling 37s on the stock axles?

Some people just spend 150k on a Mercedes, some people spend 80~90k on a tesla. I don't see the big deal with buying a 30~40k sport and putting 30k upgrades on it, it is not THAT expensive compared to high end cars. So I understand how people do it since I see SO MANY cars that are over 60k on the road. Would I do it? no, I don't need it. It is a matter of priorities.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
But you just spent quite some money to put 37s on "weak" axles.... are you actually wheeling 37s on the stock axles?

Some people just spend 150k on a Mercedes, some people spend 80~90k on a tesla. I don't see the big deal with buying a 30~40k sport and putting 30k upgrades on it, it is not THAT expensive compared to high end cars. So I understand how people do it since I see SO MANY cars that are over 60k on the road. Would I do it? no, I don't need it. It is a matter of priorities.
There's that word again.... priorities.

Do you feel people can justify $150k dollar Mercs because they don't go bash them through the rocks on the weekends?

You want to see real ballers... watch trophy truck stuff. Million dollar vehicles you could write off in a minute. I think that is why you see the people on the trail having the most fun are usually the guys in $5k dollar XJ's. LOL

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
But seriously guys, glad we got through that little bump in the forum road. I haven't priced out axels but I'm pretty confident my "weak" stock Rubicon axles with 37s will handle the types of trails I intend to take. That said, I'm blown away by the numbers I'm reading here. Does it really take $30k to upgrade to D60s?!! If so, that'll never be in the cards unless I win the lottery (also a college educated Commifornia home owner with 4 kids). What are realistic price ranges for the different setups you guys are talking about (junkyard build, Dana/Dynatrac/Currie, etc.)?

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
NEW PARTS - Retail$$
Dynatrac XD60$18,253.00
40" Toyo MT Tires$2,437.55
TWF Wheels$2,949.75
Drive Shafts$1,439.90
Tazer Programmer$329.00
PSC - Steering$3,022.00
Rock Krawler Suspension$3,496.71
Falcon Shocks$1,299.00
Lug nuts$148.67
TPMS$54.95
TOTAL SPENT$33,430.53

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
To the OP -- I suggest you watch for sales of D44 take offs. I've seen a couple sets of "new" D44's out of JLUR's go for between $2500 to $4000 depending on location and how many miles on them.

This with perhaps some better axles would get you a long ways before the jump to needing D60's.

The swap is not too bad. I've helped do it twice and it's about a 1/2 day for front and rear if you got all the tools you need and a good helper.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
NEW PARTS - Retail$$
Dynatrac XD60$18,253.00
40" Toyo MT Tires$2,437.55
TWF Wheels$2,949.75
Drive Shafts$1,439.90
Tazer Programmer$329.00
PSC - Steering$3,022.00
Rock Krawler Suspension$3,496.71
Falcon Shocks$1,299.00
Lug nuts$148.67
TPMS$54.95
TOTAL SPENT$33,430.53
When does the Hemi come?

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
When does the Hemi come?

I'm stuck between doing the Hemi swap in mine or waiting for the concept to become reality.

That isn't everything I spent as I have bumpers and winches and Nemesis flares and armor and and and.....

It is still cheaper than my last Jeep. :lipssealed:

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
To the OP -- I suggest you watch for sales of D44 take offs. I've seen a couple sets of "new" D44's out of JLUR's go for between $2500 to $4000 depending on location and how many miles on them.

This with perhaps some better axles would get you a long ways before the jump to needing D60's.

The swap is not too bad. I've helped do it twice and it's about a 1/2 day for front and rear if you got all the tools you need and a good helper.

I've always thought this was a legit solution if you can make 38's survive. That extra 1" of ground clearance is crazy expensive.
Sponsored