Sponsored

Colorado Adventures Continued (Punk'n JLR)

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
They are about an inch and a half out, but you only really notice in the rain. lol

Front tires are slightly turned.
I also love the 702s. About to lift now. I hope to use a 1" bumpstop spacer on mine with 35s and Mopar lift. We will see.

here are some pics of the 702s on a JLUR.
Thanks for the pics. I wish they had the 702s with the two offset options that the 313s have. The 313s have a +0 and a +25 offset option for 17x8.5 5x5 wheels. I think the +25 with 315/70/17s would put it right flush against the fender.

Jeep Wrangler JL Colorado Adventures Continued (Punk'n JLR) 1596144365862
Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the pics. I wish they had the 702s with the two offset options that the 313s have. The 313s have a +0 and a +25 offset option for 17x8.5 5x5 wheels. I think the +25 with 315/70/17s would put it right flush against the fender.

Jeep Wrangler JL Colorado Adventures Continued (Punk'n JLR) 1596144365862
You can get the 313 in +25, it looks pretty much the same as the 702, and is actually lighter. It does not have the trail wheel benefits of keeping the bead seated better, but would still be a good upgrade from factory. I was like you as well, originally I wanted +25, but after running the 0 offset I think they are perfect. I would suggest maybe looking at a few in person before making a decision. There are some benefits to both, for me the 702 with 0 offset was best.

OP
OP
Krondor

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
@InvertedLogic

I wanted the same because I don't like the spray in the rain and I am not keen on wearing out the bearings or going out of spec for scrub radius...etc. However, after going to the MetalCloak lift and hearing about stability from guys that wheel a lot more than me.. I think it's the better choice as well.

Depending on the lift you go with, you gain clearance and a wider track for stability. I like being stable. :like:

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
@InvertedLogic

I wanted the same because I don't like the spray in the rain and I am not keen on wearing out the bearings or going out of spec for scrub radius...etc. However, after going to the MetalCloak lift and hearing about stability from guys that wheel a lot more than me.. I think it's the better choice as well.

Depending on the lift you go with, you gain clearance and a wider track for stability. I like being stable. :like:

And here I am finally having ordered my 0 offset 4.75 backspace 17x8.5" Fifteen52 wheels looking at return policies because RK and my shop is telling me it's gonna be very tight to clear 37s without a spacer. I hemmed and hawed over my dream setup, KMC machete beadlocks because they're -38mm offset 3.5BS and stick out a crap ton more (almost 4 inches on each side!). I decided against them because it just seems so far out of spec and a nightmare for the balljoints, although I've been told "it's fine" by some on here and on the JL FB groups.

I don't know what to think anymore, but I do like the slight poke of 0 offset. It's such a tough call making your first moves, and living in a region with some of the best wheeling on the planet.

OP
OP
Krondor

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
And here I am finally having ordered my 0 offset 4.75 backspace 17x8.5" Fifteen52 wheels looking at return policies because RK and my shop is telling me it's gonna be very tight to clear 37s without a spacer. I hemmed and hawed over my dream setup, KMC machete beadlocks because they're -38mm offset 3.5BS and stick out a crap ton more (almost 4 inches on each side!). I decided against them because it just seems so far out of spec and a nightmare for the balljoints, although I've been told "it's fine" by some on here and on the JL FB groups.

I don't know what to think anymore, but I do like the slight poke of 0 offset. It's such a tough call making your first moves, and living in a region with some of the best wheeling on the planet.
I really liked the Machete too, but not their offset or the headache of true beadlocks. If I built a buggy or dedicated trail rig maybe... but this is my only vehicle. Not daily driven anymore, but you know what I mean. lol

That said, I've seen Method wheels run in King of the Hammers and survive crap I would never expect a wheel to survive. Very tough and good looking ... I miss my bronze 701's to be honest but I don't think you would be disappointed with either 701 or 702. :dunno:

Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I really liked the Machete too, but not their offset or the headache of true beadlocks. If I built a buggy or dedicated trail rig maybe... but this is my only vehicle. Not daily driven anymore, but you know what I mean. lol

That said, I've seen Method wheels run in King of the Hammers and survive crap I would never expect a wheel to survive. Very tough and good looking ... I miss my bronze 701's to be honest but I don't think you would be disappointed with either 701 or 702. :dunno:
Yeah - the tradeoff is tough for beadlocks, especially with weight. My main thing is I just simply don't like 99% of the wheel options for Jeeps. I do like the 701s and they were on my very short list but didn't love them in black, and wasn't looking at bronze originally. Go figure, now I'm going bronze with the 52s, which look great on their white project JLUR:
Jeep Wrangler JL Colorado Adventures Continued (Punk'n JLR) cig-cozy-gallery-3215fw0-6M7A0697-xxl

I think I'm gonna stick with it and if I need to space further, I will. But 0 offset seems like a good tradeoff. I'm trying to back myself off the go-nuts-with-the-build mentality as I have cameras and lenses to buy this year too for my work, but I also don't want to go too mild and have trouble running the badge trails in my area and the Rubicon trail this fall or next spring.

m3lover1

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR, 2007 Yamaha R6
Love the new wheels Mr. Wanderer! Definitely miss the bronze, but black looks good too!

OP
OP
Krondor

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Love the new wheels Mr. Wanderer! Definitely miss the bronze, but black looks good too!
Thank you sir! They are growin on me. I really like the KM3's though... very happy that they came along.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you sir! They are growin on me. I really like the KM3's though... very happy that they came along.
How are they holding up for you? I was down to the KM3 or Ridge Grapplers, I went with the RGs as I have seen the KM3s chunk out a bit more. I assume it's from softer rubber and that is why they are so great on rocks, but with the heat here I wanted to try for longitivtiy. I know my K02s were shredded after a trail run in 115 degree heat and sharp rocks.

OP
OP
Krondor

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
How are they holding up for you? I was down to the KM3 or Ridge Grapplers, I went with the RGs as I have seen the KM3s chunk out a bit more. I assume it's from softer rubber and that is why they are so great on rocks, but with the heat here I wanted to try for longitivtiy. I know my K02s were shredded after a trail run in 115 degree heat and sharp rocks.
Trail Jeeps highly recommends Ridge Grapplers and they may be my next set. So far I see no chunking but I haven't gotten to terribly ruff terrain yet. I found myself out on some UTV trails with sharp rocks, sandy mud, and 85ish degree temps ... no issues with grip but some few with branches trying to take paint.

I had KM2's on my LJ and they were iron. I'm sure the KM3's will be just as good if not better. I'll be sure to report back after some more miles in the rough. Already I like them better than the KM2's of old and the Patagonias that I was fairly impressed with.

PS - I'm not sure many tires will fair well against 115 degree temps and sharp rocks!

Sponsored

m3lover1

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR, 2007 Yamaha R6
How you liking the RG's? I also have that on my JLUR and they've been great so far. My uncle's Patagonia's are noticeably quieter and softer too, so I'm considering that for my next set. Also them being available in 38s is swaying me in that direction.

Trail Jeeps highly recommends Ridge Grapplers and they may be my next set. So far I see no chunking but I haven't gotten to terribly ruff terrain yet. I found myself out on some UTV trails with sharp rocks, sandy mud, and 85ish degree temps ... no issues with grip but some few with branches trying to take paint.

I had KM2's on my LJ and they were iron. I'm sure the KM3's will be just as good if not better. I'll be sure to report back after some more miles in the rough. Already I like them better than the KM2's of old and the Patagonias that I was fairly impressed with.

PS - I'm not sure many tires will fair well against 115 degree temps and sharp rocks!
Also can't wait for more impressions from you on the KM3's, I hear these are great tires as well.

OP
OP
Krondor

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Mt Adams

Not a wheeling trip, but the Jeep got me there. :like:

Jeep Wrangler JL Colorado Adventures Continued (Punk'n JLR) cig-cozy-gallery-3215fw0-6M7A0697-xxl

We saw quail, mountain goats, pika, deer, but no marmots this time.

We had a good moment up top to enjoy the views before clouds started rolling in. Usually a distant thunder is more than enough motivation to get off the hill, but we were granted a few lightning strikes for good measure. :surprised:

Mt Adams was good to us and we all came down tired but none the worse for wear. Funny enough, I was hoping to hike over and pickup Little Baldy Mountain next door but weather was most instantly against that move. Ah well, next time. :beer:

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mt Adams

Not a wheeling trip, but the Jeep got me there. :like:

IMG_8752.JPG

IMG_8771.JPG

IMG_8792.JPG

IMG_8795.JPG

IMG_8828.JPG

IMG_8837.JPG

IMG_8845.JPG

IMG_8848.JPG

We saw quail, mountain goats, pika, deer, but no marmots this time.

We had a good moment up top to enjoy the views before clouds started rolling in. Usually a distant thunder is more than enough motivation to get off the hill, but we were granted a few lightning strikes for good measure. :surprised:

Mt Adams was good to us and we all came down tired but none the worse for wear. Funny enough, I was hoping to hike over and pickup Little Baldy Mountain next door but weather was most instantly against that move. Ah well, next time. :beer:

Incredible. You're making me want to move to CO as my whole state burns down around me. Big fires in both directions I typically go wheeling out here in so cal. Assuming your altitude near those alpine lakes is 10k+ feet?

Also on the tire discussion, appreciate your KM3/Patagonia feedback on another thread. I don't get the hype on the Ridge Grapplers honestly tho - the tread design seems even more tame than KO2s to my eyes and they just seem like they don't have much of a grabby treadblock. They do look cool, but they just don't seem like they hang in the same class as the others.

OP
OP
Krondor

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Incredible. You're making me want to move to CO as my whole state burns down around me. Big fires in both directions I typically go wheeling out here in so cal. Assuming your altitude near those alpine lakes is 10k+ feet?

Also on the tire discussion, appreciate your KM3/Patagonia feedback on another thread. I don't get the hype on the Ridge Grapplers honestly tho - the tread design seems even more tame than KO2s to my eyes and they just seem like they don't have much of a grabby treadblock. They do look cool, but they just don't seem like they hang in the same class as the others.
Love Colorado.

Yes, the lakes are above treeline so at least 11,000 to 12,000 feet. That assent is surprisingly taxing at that elevation. Had to tell the young pup of the group not to look up too fast a couple of times as he became wobbly. A long roll at that point.

The views in the Sangre de Cristo Range of the Rocky Mountains is well worth the effort. CA has some good mountains to climb too I hear. You also have desert running which I love doing. :rock:

Sorry to hear about the fires. We had quite a few ourselves a few years back. Followed by lots of flooding the years that followed. No trees, nothing to soak up the water. Soil here is sand, clay, and rock. Water moves fast. :(

As far as tires, I think they are the number one upgrade on any vehicle. Unfortunately you can't always afford to try them all out. It's great to hear reviews but even then you have to take it with a grain of salt. Not everyone has the same expectations or needs of their tires. So research and pick one that you like best depending on your needs/wants. Then keep an eye out for what would be better the next time around. With luck, you will run enough adventures to better understand your own needs.

:fist bump::beer:

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Love Colorado.

Yes, the lakes are above treeline so at least 11,000 to 12,000 feet. That assent is surprisingly taxing at that elevation. Had to tell the young pup of the group not to look up too fast a couple of times as he became wobbly. A long roll at that point.

The views in the Sangre de Cristo Range of the Rocky Mountains is well worth the effort. CA has some good mountains to climb too I hear. You also have desert running which I love doing. :rock:

Sorry to hear about the fires. We had quite a few ourselves a few years back. Followed by lots of flooding the years that followed. No trees, nothing to soak up the water. Soil here is sand, clay, and rock. Water moves fast. :(

As far as tires, I think they are the number one upgrade on any vehicle. Unfortunately you can't always afford to try them all out. It's great to hear reviews but even then you have to take it with a grain of salt. Not everyone has the same expectations or needs of their tires. So research and pick one that you like best depending on your needs/wants. Then keep an eye out for what would be better the next time around. With luck, you will run enough adventures to better understand your own needs.

:fist bump::beer:

It's funny with the tires situation. You'll read "Toyo MTs are the best tire I've ever run and they're quiet! I got 60K out of them!" and then you'll read "Toyo MTs are trash, wear fast, and are horribly loud" elsewhere - and the same thing goes for basically any tire out there, especially the Pats. Cooper STT Pros too, some people love them, some people say they're the loudest tire they've ever run. All depends on the use case and specific prior experiences for sure. It makes doing research extra difficult when tire opinions are so polarizing and it's not easy to hop in and test them before committing. My wheels came in yesterday so the pressure is on to make the call and get them mounted up.

And yeah, we've got some fun mountains out here! Just a bit of a drive north through the desert to the sierras. We did a trip a couple weeks back to Mammoth and did some incredible 10,000' alpine lake hikes and I can definitely agree, the altitude really makes things tough. Also got to hit Laurel Lakes OHV route the day after the big hike, and some really nice scenic forest roads through Mammoth and Devil's Postpile. Gotta get out there again soon for one more run before winter season hits.

Jeep Wrangler JL Colorado Adventures Continued (Punk'n JLR) im
Sponsored