Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
No I haven’t. The problem we face is that for any given capacity we have to have a certain number of cells. And as I am typing I am thinking that the only available cells are round. Round cells no not package very efficiently so we have a lot of air space. My wife is going to kill me but I think I just stumbled into another project.
I suppose it needs to be more universal. A product like this just for JK/JL may never turn a profit.
Sponsored

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zj
That is why I am designing my system the way I am. My system will be able to be used like a Goal Zero Yeti or any other power station out there. But it will have the added functionality of being a true outdoor weatherproof system. Another thing that I am trying to accomplish is to cut down on the dismal charge times that you get out of Yeti products. Their biggest unit takes over 24 hours to charge with the AC plug. What my design does is rather than have a separate AC charger installed in the unit I will utilize an external ac-dc converter so that the built in dc-dc charger can do the charging work even when plugged into AC power. Just seems to make sense to me to use what is in there rather than add more stuff to potentially mess up and need replaced.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zj
I suppose it needs to be more universal. A product like this just for JK/JL may never turn a profit.
I'm not so sure about that. My wife told me that she could put a turd on a stick and label and market it as a Jeep related product and we would buy it. And yes she included me in that group. I tried to get offended but in the end I have to agree with her.

ClusterHead

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Granite Crystal JLUR Recon, 2014 HD Street Bob, Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Data Managenet Lead
Vehicle Showcase
upon further investigation...
https://www.lightinthebox.com/en/p/...(L1)&msclkid=7f94f71402bc159fc574a83da6fd1104

https://www.walmart.com/ip/NOCO-HM0...=sem&msclkid=4579517b063d1a62f21d0e52a2aa1756

https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-Inver...s=2000w+power+inverter&qid=1596564749&sr=8-17

OK I will concede that the box is not the same because of the lugs and internal wiring but can we agree that the real cutting edge here is obscene profit margin?

I'm glad you got called into this. Obviously, I do not know much about this. I just thought it was nice that someone was putting together all of those items into a single package. I didn't realize anything else would still be needed. Thank you for analyzing it. Also, what a markup! good sleuthing.

CuttingEdgePower

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado 1500
Hey guys, I'm with Cutting Edge Power's product development team. I see you're looking for a few specific features and a price point to get what seems to be a common setup.

If you want to list out the ideal components, and ideal price point we can try our best to meet your needs. We think you guys are doing some cool stuff and we want to help by offering something that's similar to our current product line but is worth it for yall as well.

We know some of our products are geared toward wind and solar beginners. But it seems like you guys are in a different category as far as what you need.

I'll start with some basic questions:
-Is weight a concern at all?
-Is size a constraint at all?
-Is waterproofing worth the extra cost? (25-30%+)
-Is a battery isolator 100% necessary? What type of battery isolator would you prefer to have, and what connections would you need?
-Is a solar charge controller necessary?
-Any other components we could remove to bring down cost?

Sponsored

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys, I'm with Cutting Edge Power's product development team. I see you're looking for a few specific features and a price point to get what seems to be a common setup.

If you want to list out the ideal components, and ideal price point we can try our best to meet your needs. We think you guys are doing some cool stuff and we want to help by offering something that's similar to our current product line but is worth it for yall as well.

We know some of our products are geared toward wind and solar beginners. But it seems like you guys are in a different category as far as what you need.

I'll start with some basic questions:
-Is weight a concern at all?
-Is size a constraint at all?
-Is waterproofing worth the extra cost? (25-30%+)
-Is a battery isolator 100% necessary? What type of battery isolator would you prefer to have, and what connections would you need?
-Is a solar charge controller necessary?
-Any other components we could remove to bring down cost?
We're all trying to power an electric cooler without killing the starter battery.

Weight is a concern until the Lithium battery costs an extra 450.00. I'll carry around the extra 30 pounds instead.

Size is crucial. Most of us run a Jeep Wrangler which isnt known for it's cargo capacity.

I wouldnt pay extra for waterproofing.

The DC/DC charger's usually prevent parasitic draw. If not then an isolator would be necessary.

Solar charging capability is very important. A multi connector for different solar charging panels would be nice (i.e. SAE, 8mm, anderson, etc).

It needs to charge while we drive, have a solar connector, and keep an electric cooler running for as long as possible.

Fuzzy Dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
We're all trying to power an electric cooler without killing the starter battery.

Weight is a concern until the Lithium battery costs an extra 450.00. I'll carry around the extra 30 pounds instead.

Size is crucial. Most of us run a Jeep Wrangler which isnt known for it's cargo capacity.

I wouldnt pay extra for waterproofing.

The DC/DC charger's usually prevent parasitic draw. If not then an isolator would be necessary.

Solar charging capability is very important. A multi connector for different solar charging panels would be nice (i.e. SAE, 8mm, anderson, etc).

It needs to charge while we drive, have a solar connector, and keep an electric cooler running for as long as possible.
this is spot on.

Punk'n2doorsport

First Name
Willian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL wrangler sport, 6spd manual, 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Trucker
Vehicle Showcase
An odd question, so my plan is to use the Cascadia 4x4 system with the mppt controller and get the auxiliary wire piece and then run that to my house battery that I already have set up in a tray in the back of my Jeep can I then wire a second mppt controller from renogy into the same battery later down the road?
Basically so that wayy i always have crank battery topped off then any extra power feeds in to my house battery(s)

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
An odd question, so my plan is to use the Cascadia 4x4 system with the mppt controller and get the auxiliary wire piece and then run that to my house battery that I already have set up in a tray in the back of my Jeep can I then wire a second mppt controller from renogy into the same battery later down the road?
Basically so that wayy i always have crank battery topped off then any extra power feeds in to my house battery(s)
Let me make sure I have this straight. I think it's simple.

You want to charge the batteries with the alternator while you drive (add Renogy manager) and also charge with solar when parked (with Cascadia system), is this correct?

If so, yes, but both the solar and alternator charge need to go through the manager (CTEK, RedArc, Renogy) which will then safely charge the battery.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I dont think the aux wires coming out of the Cascadia charge controller put out enough juice to meet the input criteria of another MPPT charger. Id have to look at some specs to be sure.

Sponsored

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I installed a second battery a couple of weeks ago. It’s an AGM rebranded Northstar that I have in a DIY battery tray located beside the subwoofer in the cargo area. To keep it isolated from the main battery while not running I used a simple solenoid from amazon. I ran a 4 gauge wire from the main battery to the back and used a 150 amp resettable circuit breaker at each end of the connecting wire. It’s a simple setup that just works (well, so far anyways).
The solenoid is located beside the auxiliary battery which I like because as soon as I turn on the ignition I hear the audible “click” as it engages.
Heres a link to the solenoid and circuit breakers I used.

https://www.amazon.ca/May-Continuou...ds=max+300+amp+solenoid&qid=1610039272&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.ca/STETION-Reset...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Punk'n2doorsport

First Name
Willian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Trucker
Vehicle Showcase
Let me make sure I have this straight. I think it's simple.

You want to charge the batteries with the alternator while you drive (add Renogy manager) and also charge with solar when parked (with Cascadia system), is this correct?

If so, yes, but both the solar and alternator charge need to go through the manager (CTEK, RedArc, Renogy) which will then safely charge the battery.
Yess, my plan is to have the 80watt run to crank then to house and then have 160 watt renogy panel on the roof running to renogy DC-DC/MPPT (50AMP split 25/25), i just didnt know if i could wire in the cascadia as well so that way when parked i have alot of power making sure all batteries are topped up

Punk'n2doorsport

First Name
Willian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Trucker
Vehicle Showcase
I dont think the aux wires coming out of the Cascadia charge controller put out enough juice to meet the input criteria of another MPPT charger. Id have to look at some specs to be sure.
Thats what im curious about, because if it does then i could have upwards of 240 watts in total making sure my crank and house batteries are all being charged

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
Yess, my plan is to have the 80watt run to crank then to house and then have 160 watt renogy panel on the roof running to renogy DC-DC/MPPT (50AMP split 25/25), i just didnt know if i could wire in the cascadia as well so that way when parked i have alot of power making sure all batteries are topped up
I see what you're trying to do. I think there's a better option.

Picture this: Solar connections tied to aux battery in the back via DC/DC manager. On my system, once my aux battery is fully charged my DC/DC manager will actually send power back up to my starter battery. This eliminates the need for 2 solar panels. The important part is that the manager is limiting the output to prevent overcharging.

Punk'n2doorsport

First Name
Willian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Trucker
Vehicle Showcase
I see what you're trying to do. I think there's a better option.

Picture this: Solar connections tied to aux battery in the back via DC/DC manager. On my system, once my aux battery is fully charged my DC/DC manager will actually send power back up to my starter battery. This eliminates the need for 2 solar panels. The important part is that the manager is limiting the output to prevent overcharging.
Which Dc-Dc are you running???
Sponsored