First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
I’ve bought a set of the Maximus-3 tow hooks for front and rear and feel the factory tow hooks aren’t really needed or useful now.

Can I get rid of them? I know they’re the foundation of the bolts that attach to the frame so I’m thinking probably not without something in its place.

It’d sure be nice if someone made an aluminium replacement without the hook (or maybe a tapped hole so an accessory light could be placed there). It’d probably save 15lbs in the front.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
If it were me, I'd keep the factory Rubicon hooks on the front. I've seen another member who added the maximus hooks and it not only gave multiple attachment points, but liked real cool as well. In the back, it's more straight forward to remove the factory hook, and having just the maximus ones would look more well balanced.

OP
OP
LooselyHeldPlans

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
If it were me, I'd keep the factory Rubicon hooks on the front. I've seen another member who added the maximus hooks and it not only gave multiple attachment points, but liked real cool as well. In the back, it's more straight forward to remove the factory hook, and having just the maximus ones would look more well balanced.
I'm also partially trying to make the Rubicon look less flashy, so I bought the powder coated black hooks instead of the red ones.

In the rear, you don't have an option to keep the factory tow hook. It takes the place/bolts on the frame on the drivers side that were occupied by the factory hook.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I'm also partially trying to make the Rubicon look less flashy, so I bought the powder coated black hooks instead of the red ones.

In the rear, you don't have an option to keep the factory tow hook. It takes the place/bolts on the frame on the drivers side that were occupied by the factory hook.
Oh OK, gotcha!

How bout masking off around the front hooks and plastidip them black? Or a bit of disassembly to remove the intermediate bumper hook plate and have it powder coated to match the new hooks. Less flash and multiple attaching points, masking for a win win situation.

PensDevil

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Oh OK, gotcha!

How bout masking off around the front hooks and plastidip them black? Or a bit of disassembly to remove the intermediate bumper hook plate and have it powder coated to match the new hooks. Less flash and multiple attaching points, masking for a win win situation.
I did just this. Really didn't like the red hooks contrasting with my Ocean Blue JLU. Masked everything off, plastidipped them "Ultrasonic Blue Metallic" and hit them with a few coats of glossifier. The color ended up matching good enough for my liking.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Really didn't like the red hooks contrasting with my Ocean Blue JLU.
Interesting... I'm doing the exact opposite. I really like the 'Murica/Barbie Jeep theme colors, as long as it's not overdone. I have both front & rear Maximus-3 tow loops (in red) and have even replaced the antenna with a second trail rated badge.

Jeep Wrangler JL Ditching the tow hooks... IMG_20190817_130522
Jeep Wrangler JL Ditching the tow hooks... IMG_20200317_174950

PensDevil

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Interesting... I'm doing the exact opposite. I really like the 'Murica/Barbie Jeep theme colors, as long as it's not overdone. I have both front & rear Maximus-3 tow loops (in red) and have even replaced the antenna with a second trail rated badge.
Mine isn’t a Rubicon, I just added the bumper. The only red on mine were the tow hooks. They just looked out of place. With the red accents on the Rubicon, it probably my wouldn’t have bothered me.

OP
OP
LooselyHeldPlans

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several

Yeah... we all have our preferences, for sure.

I like your winch fuller plate. Where’d you get it?

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0