Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

InstantAmmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I've called my dealer every month since March. Still no parts, but I am sure they are still selling manual Jeep's.

Anyone else navigate a "we still have no parts" process successfully? Seems as though I might want to demand an inspection, have pictures submitted, then possibly Chrysler will get their heads out of their collective asses to fix this issue?
Sponsored

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I've called my dealer every month since March. Still no parts, but I am sure they are still selling manual Jeep's.

Anyone else navigate a "we still have no parts" process successfully? Seems as though I might want to demand an inspection, have pictures submitted, then possibly Chrysler will get their heads out of their collective asses to fix this issue?
Open a case with JeepCares, they are usually pretty good about speeding things up if possible.

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase

I humbly suggest you find a different dealer. I got nothing but lies from the dealer I bought the Jeep from. They told me the parts were VIN specific and couldnā€™t order until inspection. So then I got the inspection done and then waited a month only to find out with the help of JeepCares that they never ordered anything. And when I confronted them with it they lied again. That dealer will never see me again

The new dealer was able to order the sleeve and get me in the next day, and as expected did not need to do the clutch test. Mine has never had any problem with the clutch in 2 years.

The only part a dealer should need for all these JLs is the sleeve, unless there is a problem with the hose itself leaking or itā€™s found that the clutch is slipping, etc.

InstantAmmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
@pangmaster I tend to agree. I emailed the sales rep that I purchased my Jeep from (At Koons Jeep Tysons in Virginia) and received a reply of:
But that would be something you would have to handle with the service department and not me.
Now, I understand that customer service should handle this. But customer service is about to lose you additional sales in the coming years because I look at this as a Koons Jeep Tysons issue. As others have mentioned in this forum, some people have no issue getting a fix.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
This just happen to my jeep thank god no fire. They are investigating it. It did exactly as recall said it would. I also notice burn smell at short times and thought it was because it was new. Should not even be investigated in my view

IMG_3068.jpg
So sorry to see this! If we can help with anything, please feel free to send us a message with your VIN and some more details.

We can help. To get started, send us a PM with your VIN and whatever dealer you'd like to use.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

sixspeed

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JL
Just saw this:

NHTSA Recall Number: 20V-124

Recall Date: March 3, 2020

Manufacturer Recall Number: W12

SUMMARY:
In some circumstances, the clutch pressure plate may become overheated through friction, which may lead the pressure plate to fracture. A fractured pressure plate may crack or fracture the transmission case, allowing heated debris to contact ignition sources on the vehicle, potentially leading to a vehicle fire. A fractured pressure plate may also lead to a loss of propulsion, or generation of road debris.

SAFETY RISK:
If the heated clutch components ignite a fuel source, a vehicle fire can result, which increases the risk of occupant injury and injury to persons outside the vehicle, as well as property damage.

REMEDY:
The remedy for this condition is currently under development. Dealers will be notified of the launch of this safety recall by way of established communication methods.

RECALL STATUS:
Recall INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available

MANUFACTURER NOTES:
For more information, visit recalls.mopar.com or call 1-800-853-1403. Please have your VIN ready when calling.

More info:

Jeep JL Wrangler JT Gladiator Clutch Recall Overheat.png
Jeep JL Wrangler JT Gladiator Clutch Recall Overheat 1.png
Jeep JL Wrangler JT Gladiator Clutch Recall Overheat 2.png
Jeep JL Wrangler JT Gladiator Clutch Recall Overheat 3.png
I had the recalled clutch replaced a while ago. It was shocking how much different and better it was afterwards. It was so different that I wonder if the problem had not been what the recall was for but had just gone bad way too quickly. It was also shocking that I hadnā€™t noticed how bad it had become. Oh well, I just traded it in for a Rubiconā€”with an automatic. A human canā€™t change gears as fast or smooth with a 5,000 pound beast as an automatic, especially with a lot of hilly driving like I do.

JL Fan

First Name
JL Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
I had the recalled clutch replaced a while ago. It was shocking how much different and better it was afterwards. It was so different that I wonder if the problem had not been what the recall was for but had just gone bad way too quickly. It was also shocking that I hadnā€™t noticed how bad it had become. Oh well, I just traded it in for a Rubiconā€”with an automatic. A human canā€™t change gears as fast or smooth with a 5,000 pound beast as an automatic, especially with a lot of hilly driving like I do.
You haven't see me drive...I'm like Fred Astaire on the pedals. But congrats on the Rubi. Sounds awesome

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Any word on parts availability? I called my dealership Friday and told them I was ready to give it up for a bit to get the recall done. He was supposed to check parts availability and get back with me to schedule it, but hasn't done so as of yet. That makes me guess that they still could be in short supply.

Oh well, clutch feels great, as always. I'm really hoping mine will be one of the quick 2 hour deals not requiring a new clutch.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Any word on parts availability? I called my dealership Friday and told them I was ready to give it up for a bit to get the recall done. He was supposed to check parts availability and get back with me to schedule it, but hasn't done so as of yet. That makes me guess that they still could be in short supply.

Oh well, clutch feels great, as always. I'm really hoping mine will be one of the quick 2 hour deals not requiring a new clutch.
Hi Dan, I'm sure you know this but the clutch test needs to be completed first.
As for any other parts that might be needed, they are restricted to VIN specific ordering but they are available.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Dan, I'm sure you know this but the clutch test needs to be completed first.
As for any other parts that might be needed, they are restricted to VIN specific ordering but they are available.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
Yep, I know. My concern is that IF it fails the test and a new clutch is necessary, I don't want one of these 4 or even 8 week nightmares of being without my Jeep. I've got off-roading trips planned for this thing. I want to know that if the worst case scenario were to come to be, the parts are readily available.

Besides, they wouldn't want me taking a nice shiny Pacifica loaner on one of these trips, would they? It would get very dirty and I doubt they have skid plates. :LOL:

Honestly, if I thought my clutch would fail, I'd have already had it in there. It feels and functions perfectly, so I'm betting it will only need the minor parts and the bleed procedure, if that is part of the recall. But I'm not taking the chance of not having my Jeep ready for the trips. I guess I could take my JK, but it has been retired from the harder duty, unless I have a friend come along and drive it.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLU Rubicon
When you say ā€œhow bad it had becomeā€, what exactly was it doing?

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
They replaced the upper oil pan and informed me they kept the vehicle for an extra day to let it run on the rack to confirm no leaks. Got the vehicle today, drove 40 miles to get gas and still see oil dripping at the gas station. Cleaned the surface and drove another 60 or so miles got home, oil dripping again..... lost of words now.

and what a horrible mess they made, skid plate, control arms, cross member all coated with oil, technician gives no fuck of cleaning after, no pride of work.....guess warranty hour doesnā€™t pay for cleaning.

Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate] C506FC3B-8F4F-4673-B9B8-41BB3E74A0D6

Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate] AA9B4A86-42E0-431E-B000-E56F2CBBD838

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
oh found out this wire just hanging there.......Tech replacing the battery when girlfriend/boyfriend texted ā€œIā€™m home aloneā€ wtf
Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate] 5B344836-D88B-4134-84CA-0CCE83798109

Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate] 4F0802C6-84CF-4602-8BCC-EA1758D092C2

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
oh found out this wire just hanging there.......Tech replacing the battery when girlfriend/boyfriend texted ā€œIā€™m home aloneā€ wtf
Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate] 4F0802C6-84CF-4602-8BCC-EA1758D092C2

Wow, man, that's shameful work. Do you have any other dealers around or are you stuck with that one?

zyt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Miata

Oh man, so sorry to hear all those issues you are having. Definitely need to find another dealer.
Sponsored