Sponsored

Impressions from a 5.13 gears install on a JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLUR)

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
This motor likes to rev, but that might be a bit much on long trips. Now I think 4.88 again. :facepalm:

Edit: Never mind, most of my time is spent < 70 and I'd love the gearing on the trail. Back to 5.13 already. lol
haha. I've done this back and forth 100 times. I get to hit trails about 4 times a year and honestly do fine on 4.10s. I pull a small trailer about 6 times per year, and hate to base the decision on that. If I ignore both of those, I'd pick 4.88. But like EVERYONE says go 5.13. haha. I don't know.
Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
haha. I've done this back and forth 100 times. I get to hit trails about 4 times a year and honestly do fine on 4.10s. I pull a small trailer about 6 times per year, and hate to base the decision on that. If I ignore both of those, I'd pick 4.88. But like EVERYONE says go 5.13. haha. I don't know.
For what it's worth, I've read where 3 people on here have installed 4.88s in their JL with 37s and wished they'd gone 5.13. I haven't seen anybody install 5.13s and wish they would have done 4.88.

I'm waiting for this Covid mess to go away before dumping $ into regearing...want to make sure my job is secure.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I just returned from a 5734 mile wheeling trip pulling a small camper. 5.13 gears are the way to go. It is about 2100 to 2200 at 70 mph in 8th gear. Around town, you will see 8th gear at or about 45 mph. Just off idle. I would not hesitate to put 5.13 gears in. I have had them in for 10,000+ miles now with multiple wheeling trips around the country.

WranglerAz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2019 JLR, 2000 TJ
I just returned from a 5734 mile wheeling trip pulling a small camper. 5.13 gears are the way to go. It is about 2100 to 2200 at 70 mph in 8th gear. Around town, you will see 8th gear at or about 45 mph. Just off idle. I would not hesitate to put 5.13 gears in. I have had them in for 10,000+ miles now with multiple wheeling trips around the country.
I am thinking of doing this too, my wife asked what is the affect to the MPG (when not pulling a trailer)? I think I have read it is around a 2 MPH increase.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Don't know, I stopped thinking & looking at MPG after 37's. I'm probably at 14 mpgs
LOL, yep. We pulled an average of 17mph on our list trip out West in the Mrs. auto and I get around 14 to 16 in my stick.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Thanks to everyone who has responded so far and sharing their input/feedback! How is it running 5.13s driving 80 MPH for a long trip? I see a lot of people content with running 5.13s at 70 MPH but how many actually are cruising 80 MPH consistently for an extended road trip?

Fortunately, I’m still at least a year off from making any decision :)

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I am thinking of doing this too, my wife asked what is the affect to the MPG (when not pulling a trailer)? I think I have read it is around a 2 MPH increase.
I can't see how you'd get an increase. I think best case scenario would be the same mileage and realistically you should see a slight decrease?

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
Thanks to everyone who has responded so far and sharing their input/feedback! How is it running 5.13s driving 80 MPH for a long trip? I see a lot of people content with running 5.13s at 70 MPH but how many actually are cruising 80 MPH consistently for an extended road trip?
About 6 mpg, give or take. It'll do it just fine (at least with the 2.0), but mileage goes down rapidly above 65mph or so. Aerodynamics of a Jeep on 37s is really bad. If your Jeep is already lifted on 37s, then you already know how it drives at speed, especially when it's windy.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation

Fortunately, I’m still at least a year off from making any decision :)

It will run 80 mph all day. You will just pay for it at the pump. I run 65 or because I am usually pulling a camper behind the Jeep for trip. Time is money. If you have the time, drive slower, if you don't spend the money and drive fast. at 65 pulling my camper, I see 14.5 mpg going across country. My bud pulls a lighter and smaller camper and he see 15.7 going across country. He also has 5.13 gears on 37s.

Sponsored

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
I did not see any notable change in fuel mileage. The only thing I really saw was the Jeep used all of the available gears in the transmission. There is a huge change in power out of the hole and my 0 to 60 time was about a second and a half faster.

Where i used to be in 5th gear, now I am in 7th gear, When I was normally in 6th gear, now I am in 8th gear. I see the 8th gear all the time. So the Jeep now pulls higher gear. In the end of the day, it will take a certain amount of HP to climb a hill and now the Jeep has more gears to select from to do so. I found that while pulling my camper up the Pass just west of Denver, Colorado, I was able to pull up in 5th gear at or about 4500 rpms. When I had stock gears, I still went up the pass at or about 4500 rpm, in 3rd gear and a bit slower.

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
It will run 80 mph all day. You will just pay for it at the pump. I run 65 or because I am usually pulling a camper behind the Jeep for trip. Time is money. If you have the time, drive slower, if you don't spend the money and drive fast. at 65 pulling my camper, I see 14.5 mpg going across country. My bud pulls a lighter and smaller camper and he see 15.7 going across country. He also has 5.13 gears on 37s.
This. I'm on 37s and run 80 regularly in Texas. Today its often in 6, sometimes 7 and rarely 8. It drops into 5th on any kind of incline with a headwind. Sure the 4.10 are getting me by, but next week I'll be going to 5.13s and the shop assures me I'll spend a lot of time in 8th going forward.
I've had a Jeep or two over the years and never really pay attention to MPG. I'm happier for not knowing anything more than its a box on wheels and gets poor gas mileage.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
This. I'm on 37s and run 80 regularly in Texas. Today its often in 6, sometimes 7 and rarely 8. It drops into 5th on any kind of incline with a headwind. Sure the 4.10 are getting me by, but next week I'll be going to 5.13s and the shop assures me I'll spend a lot of time in 8th going forward.
I've had a Jeep or two over the years and never really pay attention to MPG. I'm happier for not knowing anything more than its a box on wheels and gets poor gas mileage.
Out of curiosity, what made you settled on 5.13s vs. 4.88s?

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Knowledge from prior Jeeps, this forum and most importantly I talked with local shops who do gear swaps all the time on JL/JTs. Both said 5.13 without hesitation.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Holy cow are you kidding me?! This debate has been raging on multiple threads for years and you will find ardent supporters for each side of this debate... lol. You might as well have asked "Why is blue your favorite color and not green." :)
Sponsored