josipmarcinko

First Name
Josip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2-door Sport
Hello all!

I'm a new Jeep Wrangler owner - always been my dream and now finally a reality haha
I got a 2-door 2020 JL Sport, and opted for the hard top out of the factory just cuz it can get cold up in Canada eh haha
Now that it's summer, I was looking at options available for soft tops.

I have 2 questions:

1. Are there really only 3 soft top options now? All I seem to find are the Mopar Sunrider, Bestop Trektop and the Sunrider for Hardtop
2. Should I wait until the after market options become more diverse? How long did that take for the JK models?

Thanks again and nice to meet y'all
And sorry if this was already discussed!

- Jo
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Hello all!

I'm a new Jeep Wrangler owner - always been my dream and now finally a reality haha
I got a 2-door 2020 JL Sport, and opted for the hard top out of the factory just cuz it can get cold up in Canada eh haha
Now that it's summer, I was looking at options available for soft tops.

I have 2 questions:

1. Are there really only 3 soft top options now? All I seem to find are the Mopar Sunrider, Bestop Trektop and the Sunrider for Hardtop
2. Should I wait until the after market options become more diverse? How long did that take for the JK models?

Thanks again and nice to meet y'all
And sorry if this was already discussed!

- Jo
Bestop makes the OEM top. You can’t go wrong, there. I have the factory “premium” soft top on my 2dr and it’s fantastic.

Last edited:

hrhnick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
I second the OEM premium soft top. I was able to use one of the 15% off mopar accessory coupons that most dealers have on their mopar dealer page. (in the US anyways)

Chris2183

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S (Sold) 2021 JLU Willys
Third on the OEM premium twill top.

I had a hard top and a sailcloth soft top on my JK. I went twill on my JL and it was well worth the upgrade.

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUXR, 2018 GC Trailhawk Hemi
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional
Third on the OEM premium twill top.

I had a hard top and a sailcloth soft top on my JK. I went twill on my JL and it was well worth the upgrade.
Make that another endorsement for the Mopar premium twill top. We run ours frequently in the "safari" mode with the windows off. Super easy to fold down from there to full top down mode.

IMG_7642.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP

josipmarcinko

First Name
Josip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2-door Sport
Looks like I have my answer! Gonna go with the OEM premium soft top then
Just to clarify Bestop makes all the tops, but the OEM ones are sold under the Mopar brand?

Thanks for all the help!

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Looks like I have my answer! Gonna go with the OEM premium soft top then
Just to clarify Bestop makes all the tops, but the OEM ones are sold under the Mopar brand?

Thanks for all the help!
I actually don't like the twill. I prefer the classic top :like:
Correct. BesTop makes the OEM tops.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
My wife and I want a soft top for our 2-door. After some online research, it looks like our options currently are:
  • OEM (choice of two fabrics)
  • Bestop Trektop (choice of two fabrics)
I like the fastback design of the Trektop. It's quite a bit cheaper than the OEM but it doesn't retract all the way. For those who have the Trektop, do you have any regrets?

@Bestop is selling the Trektop Ultra for the JLU (fastback, fully retractable). @Bestop ... Will you be producing a similar version for the 2-door?

chillbc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL
My wife and I want a soft top for our 2-door. After some online research, it looks like our options currently are:
  • OEM (choice of two fabrics)
  • Bestop Trektop (choice of two fabrics)
I like the fastback design of the Trektop. It's quite a bit cheaper than the OEM but it doesn't retract all the way. For those who have the Trektop, do you have any regrets?

@Bestop is selling the Trektop Ultra for the JLU (fastback, fully retractable). @Bestop ... Will you be producing a similar version for the 2-door?
I actually contacted Bestop with this same question - and got a response earlier today from William @Bestop. His response...

—- —- —-
“...My apologies, but we currently do not have any plans for a 2 Door Trektop Ultra at this time. We do currently have a Trektop NX for the JL 2 Dr. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.”

Thank you,
Customer Service Representative
1-800-845-3567
Bestop.com
—- —- —-

That sucks.

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
I actually contacted Bestop with this same question - and got a response earlier today from William @Bestop. His response...

—- —- —-
“...My apologies, but we currently do not have any plans for a 2 Door Trektop Ultra at this time. We do currently have a Trektop NX for the JL 2 Dr. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.”

Thank you,
Customer Service Representative
1-800-845-3567
Bestop.com
—- —- —-

That sucks.
Wtf. I had hopes for it, no idea why anyone would jump on paying a fat check for it when it's basically just a standard top shortened slightly without the ability to fold it.

To the OP, there are a few other soft top manufacturers like Suntop, but the Bestop ones are most popular.

Sponsored

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I really like the trektop look on the 4 door. The 2 door is kinda growing on me.

I had a 4 door trektop on a jk and taking it off was maybe 5 more minutes and you could put it in the back flatter then the stock top. haven't seen how difficult it would be on a jl though.

78cj7-18lj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangle Sahara JLU
Occupation
Retired
After 1 year I find the premium soft top on my JLUS to be one of my favorite things about it. The ease of lowering and flexibility, go from top down to safari mode in seconds. EVERY JEEP needs a soft top:)

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Check out Suntop for the JL ; they have a much better choice than Bestop, including Tonneau, extended Roadster Top, and Fastback. Also squared off version. Their tops are modular, meaning you can get Windows later. Colors available as well.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I'm a bit lukewarm on the factory soft top.. I guess I'm an outlier.

The sides don't really fit in the Jeep (maybe you could jam them behind the back seat or drape them over the entire back area with the seats out). They're kind of awkward/cumbersome to manipulate being stiff fabric, rigid and semi rigid plastic and delicate vinyl. They technically can be rolled, but I believe the c-channel could be damaged in doing so. Handling the windows in general just feels like I'm gonna end up damaging them....

Maybe it's just me, but windows off/top up (sarfari) looks weird with the top sticking back a foot behind the roll bars.. Though I do like that configuration for driving in warmish weather when there is potential for light rain. The top is reasonably dry even with the sides off. If Bestop didn't hate us 2-door owners, I'd be holding out hope for their hybrid top, but that won't happen for years, if ever.

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
...The sides don't really fit in the Jeep (maybe you could jam them behind the back seat or drape them over the entire back area with the seats out). They're kind of awkward/cumbersome to manipulate being stiff fabric, rigid and semi rigid plastic and delicate vinyl. They technically can be rolled, but I believe the c-channel could be damaged in doing so. Handling the windows in general just feels like I'm gonna end up damaging them....
You oughtta look at the Mopar window bag. It is pricey, but if I had five bucks for every time I've taken the windows out or put them back in, the bag would've paid for itself within the past month. I've experienced no window deformation, no bag sag, no scratches. And others that have had it far longer report the same. It's a critical piece to the OEM soft top, they really should supply it with every Jeep equipped with it from the factory and just roll the cost into it.
Sponsored