Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
@Amaruq

Not mandatory, but a 3.6 owner that is doing his/her own oil changes, probably should have one of these on the garage shelf all the time.

The cap is known to crack so, it is cheap cheap insurance ($15.00) to have one on hand.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TO1NX8W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
5187jWUHK9L._AC_SL1234_.jpg

--A month or so ago, I even had a local tech call and ask me if he could have my new spare cap as he could not get one right away and he had cracked a cap on a clients Jeep. The tech knew I kept a spare as we talk/brain storm pretty often. He borrowed and replaced it with a new one a week later.
Good idea. Added to my list. I also tighten this to just snug. The o-ring keeps the oil where it's supposed to be.
Sponsored

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
Wow, I thought the snap inside was just like a plastic ridge or something. I´ll have to take a look. Didn´t realize there might be multiple parts in there.

If there is a spring exerting pressure on the filter, maybe that´s why some twist and some don´t. Maybe some variance in the spring rates?
I believe that's actually the pressure relief valve spring. It's in the cap since the filter does not have one.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
@DanW

I was going to look this morning but forgot to. Don't have time to look at the one on the shelf right now but I will be..

On edit: I just looked at the one on the shelf.. and I can't really tell.. and I'm not gonna break it open... 8-)

If a spring there, yes, what you said, could be the reason for twist or no twist.
I just took a cursory look, as well, and I don´t see a reason for it. The little plastic nub certainly could have a spring in it, but I felt and pushed around and just can´t see why or how it would function. But there certainly is space in the nub to house something. If I ever break one, I´ll tear into it further. But like you, I´m not going to sacrifice 15 bucks for it. Lol!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I believe that's actually the pressure relief valve spring. It's in the cap since the filter does not have one.
That would make sense. I just don´t see how it would work. I pressed all over the thing and felt no movement. Maybe I didn´t press hard enough?

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
@Amaruq

Not mandatory, but a 3.6 owner that is doing his/her own oil changes, probably should have one of these on the garage shelf all the time.

The cap is known to crack so, it is cheap cheap insurance ($15.00) to have one on hand.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TO1NX8W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

--A month or so ago, I even had a local tech call and ask me if he could have my new spare cap as he could not get one right away and he had cracked a cap on a clients Jeep. The tech knew I kept a spare as we talk/brain storm pretty often. He borrowed and replaced it with a new one a week later.
Thanks. I saw you post this one elsewhere and ordered one too.

Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
How often should the oil be changed on a 2018 JLU 3.6l? The dealer suggests changing the oil every 3,000 miles....which pretty frequent.
When I started as a mechanic a long time ago, we recommended 3k. That was with dino oil, there was no synthetic back then. We got a lot of motors in our shop that didn't go past 80k miles. Those may have never had the oil changed, just put more in when it gets low. I don't remember the typical manufacturer recommendations but it wasn't nearly as long as it is now. I remember when Mobil1 came out about the early 1980s and they recommended 25k oil changes. I tried that in my own car and lost a cam well before 25k miles. Most cars I've owned the past many years have used synthetic and somewhere around 8k miles has been the average recommended interval. Using a good oil under normal conditions there should be no problem going to about 8k. Of course you can change at whatever interval you wish but also if you aren't changing it yourself, find somewhere that you trust to do the work. There is a thread on here about someone losing a wheel because the lugs weren't tightened- I've heard of drain plugs not being tightened and people losing an engine.

Another factor that might come into play- I don't remember the numbers now but besides a mileage interval there used to be a time interval. I thought maybe it was recommended to change every 6 months, or 12 months. I've been working from home the past 4 months and have hardly driven at all, for my DD car I've only filled it up with gas one time. So if we go strictly by mileage we might not need a change for 2 years or more. This is well beyond the time interval typically recommended.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
When I started as a mechanic a long time ago, we recommended 3k. That was with dino oil, there was no synthetic back then. We got a lot of motors in our shop that didn't go past 80k miles. Those may have never had the oil changed, just put more in when it gets low. I don't remember the typical manufacturer recommendations but it wasn't nearly as long as it is now. I remember when Mobil1 came out about the early 1980s and they recommended 25k oil changes. I tried that in my own car and lost a cam well before 25k miles. Most cars I've owned the past many years have used synthetic and somewhere around 8k miles has been the average recommended interval. Using a good oil under normal conditions there should be no problem going to about 8k. Of course you can change at whatever interval you wish but also if you aren't changing it yourself, find somewhere that you trust to do the work. There is a thread on here about someone losing a wheel because the lugs weren't tightened- I've heard of drain plugs not being tightened and people losing an engine.

Another factor that might come into play- I don't remember the numbers now but besides a mileage interval there used to be a time interval. I thought maybe it was recommended to change every 6 months, or 12 months. I've been working from home the past 4 months and have hardly driven at all, for my DD car I've only filled it up with gas one time. So if we go strictly by mileage we might not need a change for 2 years or more. This is well beyond the time interval typically recommended.
Lost a Ford 3.5 Ecoboost due to a quickie oil change place double-gasketing the oil filter. They failed to check it. The old gasket stuck to the mating surface and they put the new filter on over it. When the oil pressure was up, the oil blew out from between the gaskets. Engine became a bag of metal shavings. Fortunately, they took responsibility and their insurance paid for a dealer-installed Ford remanufactured and warranted replacement engine. It cost their insurance about 11 grand for the enine and labor. Ouch! I change all of our vehicles myself except for that Transit van. It is just too low to the ground for me.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I find the on board monitor to be pretty accurate and definitely takes in account your driving conditions. Using Penzoil Platinum full synth I would have no problem going 8-10k miles but usually change it out when the computer is around 20% life left. It's so easy and cheap to do. Especially when you get lucky and find 5 qts Penzoil for $16.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
You won´t have a problem using Mobil 1. It meets SAE specs. My dealership actually sells Mobil 1 for their premium changes. I´ve never heard of FCA denying a warranty claim because someone used Mobil 1. That would be impossible to defend. On the other hand, Pennzoil Platinum is outstanding, so you don´t lose there, either.
Mobil 1 isn't approved by FCA because of a pissing contest between corporate leads at both companies.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
It should be noted that using lower quality oil filters necessitates an increased oil change frequency.

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Cost me very little to do the oil change this morning > $3.98 for the on sale last year, Mobil 1 M1C-456A Extended Performance Cartridge Oil Filter and then a 5 qt. container of Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic Oil at a cost of $12.00 after rebate. 15 min. labor.

Total cost of oil & filter change = $ 15.98. (not a typo.. cost was $15.98)

and ...................No friggin nitwit oil change guy/gal, at the dealer touching my JL, overfilling with oil, me sitting there of an hour, no drive to and from the dealer..

Guy/gals can also get the oil and filter at very low prices and do their own oil changes. As you said @cb4017, " It's easy to change and not that expensive." It amazes me that a Jeep owner can't take it upon themselves to do an oil change at home versus having a dealer do it.
Hi Rhinebeck, I have a question. I do my oil change every 5k with fully synthetic but I have the dealer do every other one to show my Jeep is going in for service. Do you worry if something happened to your engine they’d say “hey you never brought it in for service so we can’t honor your warranty”?

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I usually just run Wix, but I'll run any brand. If you're doing 5k I would not buy high end filters, just wasting $

Call your local NAPA, Parts Plus, Parts City or CarQuest and ask if they do the bi-annual Wix filter sales (usually spring and fall). You can get the Wix for a few bucks, just buy several.

edit: 4/19 I paid $3.70 ea for the Wix 10010's during the filter sales
I’ve gotta disagree with ya D60, when it comes to my Jeep I don’t want the old saying “you get what you pay for” to bite me. I think the OEM filter is 12-15 bucks.
Worth it to me.
I’m not trying to knock you for saving a few bucks. Just not with my engine life.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
@Amaruq

Hi again Rhinebeck, you’re like a professor in here! All kidding aside I do respect your knowledge and help in this forum.
Great idea about just keeping an extra oil filter cap which brings me to my 2nd question of the day.
I went to the Amazon site to buy that filter cap and there was a notice that said “ this will not fit your 2019 Jeep Wrangler”. Should I just buy one from the dealer?
Sponsored