Accidental audio improvement with dash speakers and Alpine system

lepcat

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR, Sky One Touch
Has anyone used the refit speaker pods for the knee panels? Like these?

Just ordered a set and wondered what ya'll thought. I like I can fit a 6.5 to 6.75 speaker in them.

http://metraonline.com/part/JP-1014
Sponsored

robd1438

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU MOAB
Vehicle Showcase
When you guys talk about the large capacitors causing popping do you mean these (in picture)? I posted on another thread asking if I should use them or not, but if I read this thread correctly the answer should definitely be no, right?

For reference, these are Kicker 47KSC3504

Jeep Wrangler JL Accidental audio improvement with dash speakers and Alpine system IMG_8847.JPG

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Read your post where you only replaced the 4" speakers in the sound bar. I need to replace them as well as both are blown.

So what did you use. Thanks for help.

Ok, installed four of these gems. Wow, what a difference! Even got an “atta-boy” from the wifey. Best $120 bucks spent. What is being used to replace the 4” speaker in the sound bar?

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
I think I know the answer to this question, but why put JL ins soundbar and Infinity in dash... was it because you had these two different types?

My sound bar speaker sound bad... it is the 3.5 speaker or the bigger one.. So if you had to do it again you would go with 4 Infinity 3.5”.

Update: I did go ahead and install the JL Audio 3.5” in the soundbar and glad I did. I’m convinced any Alpine Premium (8.4 with 9 speakers) replacement is a big improvement. My dash speakers sound much better with the Infinity 3.5” and now the soundbar sounds better with the JL Audio 3.5”. Why? Because the Alpines are low quality IMO and look about like they sound, cheap.

See pictures below comparing the magnets.
1) Alpine
2) Infinity
3) JLAudio

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
I think I know the answer to this question, but why put JL ins soundbar and Infinity in dash... was it because you had these two different types?

My sound bar speaker sound bad... it is the 3.5 speaker or the bigger one.. So if you had to do it again you would go with 4 Infinity 3.5”.
Best advice I can give you is that the high frequencies are going to the 3.5" speaker, but it doesn't have a tweeter. So it can't replicate the higher spectrum all that well. So replacing those with a two way speaker is an immediate improvement. The 4" speakers only get mid bass, and they are okay for what they are. I prefer a larger woofer for those though. My personal choice was to replace just the dash 3.5s with JBL speakers. They are very similar to the Infinity, owned by the same company even. And I'm now fairly happy with them. The front sound stage is much more important than the rear, so I don't mind those being stock.

Sponsored

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
OK I just ordered Infinity REF3022CFX 3.5" 75W Reference Series Coaxial Car Speakers With Edge-driven Textile Tweeter, Pair link... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E4JWG6I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 as well as, Dodge/Jeep Speaker Harness Metra 72-7902 from Walmart.

So after reading all the thread twice that what I felt that will fit my 8.4 screen, Alpine Upgrade system from factory as I noticed my speakers in sound bar having sound issues.

So did I do right or do I need to cancel my order. If this fixes my sound bar, I will do two more for my front dash speakers... Will do nothing to the bigger speaker in the sound bar until you guys come up with a good replacement... Same with the knee speaker in dash as it sounds like a problem in getting to.

As others have said this has been one of the best thread in a long time.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
OK I just ordered Infinity REF3022CFX 3.5" 75W Reference Series Coaxial Car Speakers With Edge-driven Textile Tweeter, Pair link... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E4JWG6I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 as well as, Dodge/Jeep Speaker Harness Metra 72-7902 from Walmart.

So after reading all the thread twice that what I felt that will fit my 8.4 screen, Alpine Upgrade system from factory as I noticed my speakers in sound bar having sound issues.

So did I do right or do I need to cancel my order. If this fixes my sound bar, I will do two more for my front dash speakers... Will do nothing to the bigger speaker in the sound bar until you guys come up with a good replacement... Same with the knee speaker in dash as it sounds like a problem in getting to.

As others have said this has been one of the best thread in a long time.
I would go ahead and double the order. The front is so much more important than the rear as far as sound goes. Not exactly sure what is going on with your soundbar, but I remember some other people having some plastic rubbing on things that made it sound bad.

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, Dusty. I will take your suggestion and put the pair of 3.5 in the front first and wait for more treads on what to do with the bigger speaker in the sound bar.

If all goes will have it installed first week of Aug.

I would go ahead and double the order. The front is so much more important than the rear as far as sound goes. Not exactly sure what is going on with your soundbar, but I remember some other people having some plastic rubbing on things that made it sound bad.

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Wrangler 2015 Renegade 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Senior Director of Engineering & Facilities

Yes, just by sound and better highs, I just liked the Infinity 3022 3.5” in the dash and 350x 3.5” JL’s in the SB smaller location. I left the 4” larger SB stock speaker alone for now.

I think the JL’s have better mids, so better for the SB.

One notable improvement I’ve recently made was adding Metra J-1014 pods and Focal 165 RCX 6.5” in the knees. This was a big improvement in the front sound stage without adding an aftermarket amp right now. They are coax and if I could do it over again I would have put components up front. However don’t plan to go back into the dash knees again to swap the 6.5” unless something blows. It’s a major PITA putting those Pods/6.5” in, but so worth the sound improvement once it’s over.

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Thank for confirming my direction... I have heard nightmares on the changing out the knees dash speakers. Now do you have the factory installed Alpine Premium Audio System with 8.4 sound system or your own amp? Did you see an improvement with the 350x 3.5” in the SB? Is it a plug and play or do I need to do some fabrication? Do I need to purchase any adapter cable to make the connections for it to work?

I drive with the top off 8 months out of the year so the sound is just blows away in a 2 door JLR.

Yes, just by sound and better highs, I just liked the Infinity 3022 3.5” in the dash and 350x 3.5” JL’s in the SB smaller location. I left the 4” larger SB stock speaker alone for now.

I think the JL’s have better mids, so better for the SB.

One notable improvement I’ve recently made was adding Metra J-1014 pods and Focal 165 RCX 6.5” in the knees. This was a big improvement in the front sound stage without adding an aftermarket amp right now. They are coax and if I could do it over again I would have put components up front. However don’t plan to go back into the dash knees again to swap the 6.5” unless something blows. It’s a major PITA putting those Pods/6.5” in, but so worth the sound improvement once it’s over.

Sponsored

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Found my answers from your earlier post... Thanks for great detail.

Update: I did go ahead and install the JL Audio 3.5” in the soundbar and glad I did. I’m convinced any Alpine Premium (8.4 with 9 speakers) replacement is a big improvement. My dash speakers sound much better with the Infinity 3.5” and now the soundbar sounds better with the JL Audio 3.5”. Why? Because the Alpines are low quality IMO and look about like they sound, cheap.

See pictures below comparing the magnets.
1) Alpine
2) Infinity
3) JLAudio

Jeep Wrangler JL Accidental audio improvement with dash speakers and Alpine system IMG_8847.JPG

The other picture is the JL Audio 3.5” in the soundbar. Note: Credit to my daughter for holding the flashlight and learning the basics of maintenance stuff.

No wonder the Alpine’s sound so bad & muddy, there isn’t much there. I plan to keep my 8.4 head, but plan to replace all Alpine speakers from what I’ve seen so far.

Now I’m on the fence if I want to replace the remaining 4” speakers (2 in the soundbar and 2 in the dash knee area) with Morel 4” or use the new adapter pods coming out to house 6.5” in both areas.

If anyone has upgraded to 6.5” from 4”, please share your opinion and listening experience. Thx!

Pdiehm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
AML Investigator
I am upgrading the 3.5” speakers. In reading it seems like I’m use the reference speakers in the dash and the JL 3.5’s in the sound bar.

doesn’t sound like there is a huge upgrade with any of the 4” speakers.

the reference 3032’s...what model of the JL audio?

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I am upgrading the 3.5” speakers. In reading it seems like I’m use the reference speakers in the dash and the JL 3.5’s in the sound bar.

doesn’t sound like there is a huge upgrade with any of the 4” speakers.

the reference 3032’s...what model of the JL audio?
I used JL Audio C2 350x 3.5” in the SB from Amazon. I think I got them for $90 at the time, so might want to shop around. Here is the link below.

Just ordered a 8” sub today from Crutchfield to complement the factory premium sub. Will be the next audio project. Thought I was done with audio for now, but no.... never really done.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009O70KZU/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_i_ZdGjFb838YP27

Pdiehm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
AML Investigator
I used JL Audio C2 350x 3.5” in the SB from Amazon. I think I got them for $90 at the time, so might want to shop around. Here is the link below.

Just ordered a 8” sub today from Crutchfield to complement the factory premium sub. Will be the next audio project. Thought I was done with audio for now, but no.... never really done.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009O70KZU/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_i_ZdGjFb838YP27
i thought about replacing the sub with a Fosgate but the alpine isn’t bad.

did you need the metro adapters for the JL’s?

what kind of trimming is needed for the dash with the reference? I know these are clearer but not as much bass as the JL or Kenwoods?

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
i thought about replacing the sub with a Fosgate but the alpine isn’t bad.

did you need the metro adapters for the JL’s?

what kind of trimming is needed for the dash with the reference? I know these are clearer but not as much bass as the JL or Kenwoods?
The 3.5” take the same Metra 72-7902 in the dash and SB, so you will need two pairs. Standard smaller plastic end trim tool will work for the dash cover plate, they pop right up. I had to put a very slight bend in the Infinity ears where the screws go with pliers to match the screw holes in the dash. Nothing to it and they fit fine. The dash cover plate snaps right back in. I put polyfil in both dash locations and the 4” mid spkers that wasn’t replaced. Poly won’t fit in SB 3.5” location with the JL’s, the JL’s max out the space. I didn’t use bass blockers because they made a popping sound when I turned on/off the ignition. Mine have been working fine without bass blockers for 8 months now.

Yes, better high and clear on the Infinity in the dash. Better mid-base in the JL’s IMO. No idea on Kenwood’s, never tried them but others like them too. Keep us posted out how it turns out.

Note: The JL’s will be tight and you have to attach the Metra adapter and finagle the wire & connecter in the small recessed opening at the top of the compartment on the sponge side, but they do fit once you find the orientation. See below.
Jeep Wrangler JL Accidental audio improvement with dash speakers and Alpine system 1596336961595

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-Fj3lr2Tu3NM/p_120727902/Metra-72-7902-Speaker-Wiring-Adapters.html
Sponsored

Last edited: