JLU oil change frequency

tsahorn

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
How often should the oil be changed on a 2018 JLU 3.6l? The dealer suggests changing the oil every 3,000 miles....which pretty frequent.
Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
How often should the oil be changed on a 2018 JLU 3.6l? The dealer suggests changing the oil every 3,000 miles....which pretty frequent.
Depends on driving conditions and the quality of oil used. I would feel comfortable running a conventional oil up to 5k miles under normal conditions. I would feel comfortable running a high quality, group 4 oil up to ten thousand miles.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
The Pentastar that went 625k miles ran 8k oil change intervals on Valvoline 5w20. I was going to go with 5k intervals, but IĀ“m leaning toward just using the oil life monitor, which winds up at 7k to 7500, with my driving style. IĀ“m running Rotella Gas Truck 0w20 right now, but will be going back to Mobil 1 AP on the next change.

I havenĀ“t seen a 0w20 yet that wasnĀ“t at least a synthetic blend, and that one was Pennzoil Gold. I think it is a great oil and has stats that are right there with Platinum, so i think 3k is just too frequent, unless you drive in a dusty desert.

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Granite Crystal 6MT
The Pentastar that went 625k miles ran 8k oil change intervals on Valvoline 5w20. I was going to go with 5k intervals, but IĀ“m leaning toward just using the oil life monitor, which winds up at 7k to 7500, with my driving style. IĀ“m running Rotella Gas Truck 0w20 right now, but will be going back to Mobil 1 AP on the next change.

I havenĀ“t seen a 0w20 yet that wasnĀ“t at least a synthetic blend, and that one was Pennzoil Gold. I think it is a great oil and has stats that are right there with Platinum, so i think 3k is just too frequent, unless you drive in a dusty desert.
Any idea what factors the oil life monitor uses to determine life? Is it purely mileage?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Of course the dealer would recommend you do their $120 oil change as often as they can convince you to.

Sponsored

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
With my 2013 3.6 JKU auto I did my oil every 10,000 miles with full synthetic. 175,000 miles mixed driving without a hiccup and the engine showed no signs of ā€œvarnishā€ or ā€œsludgeā€. Passed its last smog check with flying colors, never burned oil and gas mileage stayed constant throughout its life.

I plan on staying with 10,000 mile oil changes on my 2020 3.6 JLUR auto. After all its 3.? cousin used by Mercedes recommendation is for oil changes every 15,000. Many forget or donā€™t know Diamler-Benz (Mercedes) owned Jeep when the 3.6 engine was developed. It was intended as a world engine to be used throughout the Diamler-Benz many product lines not just Jeep and Dodge.

Funny how the ā€œhigh lineā€ European manufacturers recommend 10-15,000 mile oil changes on their engine, but U.S. auto makers recommend far less.

Last edited:

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
The manual (mines a 2019) seems to say wait for the Jeep to tell you it wants an oil change but donā€™t go more than 10,000 miles without one. 4,000 miles if youā€™re a ā€˜severe dutyā€™ user. So in any case, and once again, a dealer is full of...misinformation.

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Granite Crystal 6MT
The manual (mines a 2019) seems to say wait for the Jeep to tell you it wants an oil change but donā€™t go more than 10,000 miles without one. 4,000 miles if youā€™re a ā€˜severe dutyā€™ user. So in any case, and once again, a dealer is full of...misinformation.
Coming from the Tacoma (10K intervals) I asked my dealer and they said trust the computer or do 5K if you don't trust the computer. I just want to know what the computer considers.

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
I change mine every 5,000 miles with full synthetic. I consider my Jeep get severe service with off road use, travel trailer towing, etc. I've seen oil temp over 240 at times.

For me it's peace of mind. These things only hold 5 qts of oil. It's easy to change and not that expensive.

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I change mine every 5,000 miles with full synthetic. I consider my Jeep get severe service with off road use, travel trailer towing, etc. I've seen oil temp over 240 at times.

For me it's peace of mind. These things only hold 5 qts of oil. It's easy to change and not that expensive.
Same here. Likewise, since it's recommended to rotate your tires every 5k as well, I do them both at the same time. It's a simple method of maintenance that doesn't require window stickers in the corner or wondering the exact mileage of your last service.

Every 5k, change the oil and rotate the tires. Simple as that.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Any idea what factors the oil life monitor uses to determine life? Is it purely mileage?
Talking to Kevin on Bitog, who was on the Pentastar design team, it uses many data points. He said it is a very complex algorythm and you can trust it 100%. That said, with that complex algorythm and all, it lands about squarely on 7500 miles for me, give or take a couple of hundred. But my driving profile over the course of an oil change interval may be very consistent. IĀ“ll go back and review my conversations with him and see what he said specifically. I remember hours, total engine revolutions, time, as in calendar, and start-up cycles were all part of it. But I think there was more than that. IĀ“ll note that I rarely do short trips. My commute is 17 miles and 35 minutes, so the engine gets fully up to temp and burns off any moisture or fuel in the oil, every time. IĀ“m sure a short trip profile where the engine rarely gets up to full temp would trigger a shorter run on the oil life monitor. A mostly highway profile would probably trigger a longer one.

IĀ“d love to know who here has seen the most miles at or near zero percent on the OLM and who has the least. Anyone care to chime in? I might, in fact, make a thread just for that. Could be fun and interesting.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

Cost me very little to do the oil change this morning > $3.98 for the on sale last year, Mobil 1 M1C-456A Extended Performance Cartridge Oil Filter and then a 5 qt. container of Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic Oil at a cost of $12.00 after rebate. 15 min. labor.

Total cost of oil & filter change = $ 15.98. (not a typo.. cost was $15.98)

and ...................No friggin nitwit oil change guy/gal, at the dealer touching my JL, overfilling with oil, me sitting there of an hour, no drive to and from the dealer..

Guy/gals can also get the oil and filter at very low prices and do their own oil changes. As you said @cb4017, " It's easy to change and not that expensive." It amazes me that a Jeep owner can't take it upon themselves to do an oil change at home versus having a dealer do it.

Last edited:

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
About to do my JLā€™s first oil change - where are you getting your filters and which one exactly?
Sponsored