Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
In many of the videos I've seen of the new Ford Bronco the vehcile is seen during a healthy speed on flat but otherwise off road terrain.

I seem to recall more focus in videos on the abilities of the Wrangler slowly handling uneven terrain than flatland speed....maybe it's me.

Since little goes unintended in manufacturer videos, might someone conjecture what point was being made about featuring Broncos at off road flatland speed?

By way of sheer example, maybe it features Bronco's under the hood capabilities, or Bronco's lack of ability to handle uneven terrain (I don't know...I'm not implying these things.)

Thanks.
Sponsored

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
In many of the videos I've seen of the new Ford Bronco the vehcile is seen during a healthy speed on flat but otherwise off road terrain.

I seem to recall more focus in videos on the abilities of the Wrangler slowly handling uneven terrain than flatland speed....maybe it's me.

Since little goes unintended in manufacturer videos, might someone conjecture what point was being made about featuring Broncos at off road flatland speed?

By way of sheer example, maybe it features Bronco's under the hood capabilities, or Bronco's lack of ability to handle uneven terrain (I don't know...I'm not implying these things.)

Thanks.
From my perspective, the Bronco at speed on some uneven terrain displayed its suspensions's capabilities, shocks rebound ability and overall control. At times the tires would float above the ground, then landing back softly and seemingly effortless while still at speed.

Taking uneven terrain in a Wrangler at speed will kick your ass, but they are not built for that from the factory.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
That flat off-road terrain plays to the independent front suspensions strengths. I'm looking forward to seeing how it articulates. Even with a swaybar disco, it probably will not have the articulation of a JL even with the swaybar connected. If it does, I can't imagine it will feel very stable in off-camber situations.

So once again everything is a compromise. At least the market will have more choices based on what you want to do. Of course most owners will never know the difference unless they run over a speed bump or curb.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
That flat off-road terrain plays to the independent front suspensions strengths. I'm looking forward to seeing how it articulates. Even with a swaybar disco, it probably will not have the articulation of a JL even with the swaybar connected. If it does, I can't imagine it will feel very stable in off-camber situations.

So once again everything is a compromise. At least the market will have more choices based on what you want to do. Of course most owners will never know the difference unless they run over a speed bump or curb.
The Bronco with its IFS and available Sasquatch package will be quite capable, I am sure. It should have a better ride and road manners too not being a solid front axle vehicle.

I am happy for the competition in the off-road capable realm. Should continue to push them all, and I am not giving up my JLUR any time soon though.

I am looking forward to all the head to heads we should see closer to or after Bronco's actual release.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase

Thanks.
Speaking in strictly off road abilities, ifs has the benefit of allowing one wheel to deal with a bump/dip without having an affect on the opposed wheel. Now add to that, the fact that it will feel smoother when carrying speed through a rutted path, because sheer momentum is helping the body and frame maintain a certain level of stability.

The baja trophy trucks shown in the bronco movie are equipped with the pricier long arm ifs. The wishbones are mounted on either side of the differential carrier, which allows large amounts of articulation. The bronco has the more cost efficient short arm ifs, which by design will limit articulation.

Put that all together and you'll see why they showed the bronco going fast over those rocky bypasses and the more deeply rutted sections of the dirt road. Because if it was going slower, we would've seen wheels lifting high and the stunt driver would've given those waterproof seats a real test.

The spot in the video that best shows the limited articulation of short arm ifs, is when they mention how the sway bar can be disconnect under stress. It clearly drops, but nothing near enough to maintain contact and traction through anything more than mild bumps/dips. Clearly speed and momentum is needed, but how long will that front end last is my next curiosity.

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
You press the start button twice with no foot on the brake.....

You then scroll through the diagnostics on the screen in front of you and come to the battery voltage.

What's a good resting voltage for the 3.6L JL?

Thanks.

JeepersCreepersJL

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T
Ok, so I swapped the rear stock sport bumper for an OEM Rubicon bumper and now my license plate light doesn't work, everything's hooked up and all other lights work fine, I had no problems with the light working before I swapped the bumpers. Anybody have an idea what it could be?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Ok, so I swapped the rear stock sport bumper for an OEM Rubicon bumper and now my license plate light doesn't work, everything's hooked up and all other lights work fine, I had no problems with the light working before I swapped the bumpers. Anybody have an idea what it could be?
@JeepersCreepersJL

Could be ground related. How was stock LB light grounded.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know this probably sounds dumb, but how do I go about doing that?
Find a friend that has a 12v test light. IF he/she has one, they will probably know how to use it.

A 12v Test light is cheap, cheap, good to get one for your tool box.. There are a zillion YouTube videos that show you how to use it.

IF I were local to you, I'd be there and work this out with you.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@JeepersCreepersJL

Jake...... Watch this video. Video is about a trailer light but the gist of the ground is the same as with your license plate light.

I'm assuming your license plate does not have a ground wire on it... just has two wires coming out of it not three, thus no ground wire on the license plate light.

With that said, your license plate light is getting it's needed ground from it's contact points..... the two bolts that fasten the license plate light to the bumper...

Anyway, watch this video... pay attention where he says mounting screws need to go into very clean / no powder coat, paint in order to get a good ground.

https://www.google.com/search?clien...ight+ground#kpvalbx=_54kkX8W9M7Kp_Qatp4KoAw22

JeepersCreepersJL

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T
@JeepersCreepersJL

Jake...... Watch this video. Video is about a trailer light but the gist of the ground is the same as with your license plate light.

I'm assuming your license plate does not have a ground wire on it... just has two wires coming out of it not three, thus no ground wire on the license plate light.

With that said, your license plate light is getting it's needed ground from it's contact points..... the two bolts that fasten the license plate light to the bumper...

Anyway, watch this video... pay attention where he says mounting screws need to go into very clean / no powder coat, paint in order to get a good ground.

https://www.google.com/search?clien...ight+ground#kpvalbx=_54kkX8W9M7Kp_Qatp4KoAw22
Rhinebeck01, thanks so much for all your help I really appreciate it! I did get it working :like:
Jeep Wrangler JL QTDDTOT: Questions that don't deserve their own thread 20200801_194401

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@JeepersCreepersJL

So, was it the ground. How did you correct it? Did the video help?

Anyway, glad you got-er done!!!

Hey, good looking JL you have...
Sponsored