Sponsored

Absolutely HORRIBLE experience getting a JLU at a NJ Dealership. Need some advice

OP
OP

Trandz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Want a JL
I agree they handled that poorly. however, you have no money and therefore really no business buying a 50K dollar car and rolling 8K in losses into it!? I hate to say this, but you are the kind of people that ruin it for those of us with money. We have to pay so much for things because the "dollar down dollar a month" crowd drives the prices up so high. when we question the 50K dollar price for a damn Jeep they laugh at us. And im the guy that will write a check for his Jeep in full. Just saying, maybe you should buy from the used car lot?
lmao. Who said I don't have money? Never in my life have I or anyone in my family gotten leases and put money down aside from the first month and inceptions. And my family leases $80k+ cars.

Also, them telling me to put $3.5k on top of paying an absurd amount is the issue here.
Sponsored

48thChamber

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.groundswell-studio.com
Vehicle(s)
93 YJ Wrangler, 2021 Willys JLU O|||||||O
Occupation
Marketing & Creative Director / Web Designer
Can you explain? Wouldn't it be cheaper to lease it first, then finance the rest after?
I am waiting on a JLU Willys and was thinking about doing the same thing till I started to dig into the numbers more.

Say you are looking at a MSRP of 45k and get them down to 40k sale price
on a 36 month lease/12000 miles with a 70% residual you're at $31,500
say you put down 2k for fees taxes etc with a $400 month payment
total lease cost for 3 years is 16k and your buyout would be 31.5k

buyout 60 month @4.29% 0 down is $628 a month
total cost $37,711

53711 over 92 months combined with lease and buyout after

Finance it off the bat with 2k down 3.9% 72 months for $630
total cost $48k

you save 6k and pay it off 20 months earlier with the same payment you'll have after the lease. Also your payments will go up after the lease wich will be hard to swallow after getting used to the lower monthly cost.

I may be off and if i am please let me know if anyone wants to chime in.

973Rufio

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep soon
I agree they handled that poorly. however, you have no money and therefore really no business buying a 50K dollar car and rolling 8K in losses into it!? I hate to say this, but you are the kind of people that ruin it for those of us with money. We have to pay so much for things because the "dollar down dollar a month" crowd drives the prices up so high. when we question the 50K dollar price for a damn Jeep they laugh at us. And im the guy that will write a check for his Jeep in full. Just saying, maybe you should buy from the used car lot?
Finally, the voice of reason. Dealerships in NJ are horrible to deal with; however, I think the smart thing financially to do is wait out the remainder of your lease and buy/finance the car when you can afford it.

Leasing is only thinking short term.

OP
OP

Trandz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Want a JL
Finally, the voice of reason. Dealerships in NJ are horrible to deal with; however, I think the smart thing financially to do is wait out the remainder of your lease and buy/finance the car when you can afford it.

Leasing is only thinking short term.
Its not about any of that though. I can afford it. It's one thing to afford, another thing to lazily accept their offer just because I can afford it. Why would I accept over paying by a stupid amount to begin with

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
When I ordered my JL the Maryland contacts via this forum weren't responsive. Due to this I ordered my Jeep from Fitzpatricks in Connecticut. If you live near The Jeep Store than Ansonia CT should be an approximate 125 mile ride from you. While Maryland will be a little bit cheaper Fitzpatricks will still offer a great no haggle price and quite honestly are super easy to deal with. Between showing me my JL and doing paper work I was in and out of there in 45 minutes when I picked mine up. While a lower price is always luring if I do order a Jeep again I think I will go back to Fitzpatricks again as everything about it was convenient.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Trandz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Want a JL
When I ordered my JL the Maryland contacts via this forum weren't responsive. Due to this I ordered my Jeep from Fitzpatricks in Connecticut. If you live near The Jeep Store than Ansonia CT should be an approximate 125 mile ride from you. While Maryland will be a little bit cheaper Fitzpatricks will still offer a great no haggle price and quite honestly are super easy to deal with. Between showing me my JL and doing paper work I was in and out of there in 45 minutes when I picked mine up. While a lower price is always luring if I do order a Jeep again I think I will go back to Fitzpatricks again as everything about it was convenient.
thanks! Will def save them

jerseymike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
I am waiting on a JLU Willys and was thinking about doing the same thing till I started to dig into the numbers more.

Say you are looking at a MSRP of 45k and get them down to 40k sale price
on a 36 month lease/12000 miles with a 70% residual you're at $31,500
say you put down 2k for fees taxes etc with a $400 month payment
total lease cost for 3 years is 16k and your buyout would be 31.5k

buyout 60 month @4.29% 0 down is $628 a month
total cost $37,711

53711 over 92 months combined with lease and buyout after

Finance it off the bat with 2k down 3.9% 72 months for $630
total cost $48k

you save 6k and pay it off 20 months earlier with the same payment you'll have after the lease. Also your payments will go up after the lease wich will be hard to swallow after getting used to the lower monthly cost.

I may be off and if i am please let me know if anyone wants to chime in.

I have run lease numbers a few times with other vehicles too, never seems to make sense unless you cannot afford to finance. I think leases are generally a good idea for those that own their own business (for deduction purposes I am told) and those that want to be in a vehicle that they cannot afford to buy (Lower monthly payments with the lease)

OP
OP

Trandz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Want a JL
I have run lease numbers a few times with other vehicles too, never seems to make sense unless you cannot afford to finance. I think leases are generally a good idea for those that own their own business (for deduction purposes I am told) and those that want to be in a vehicle that they cannot afford to buy (Lower monthly payments with the lease)
Thing is, I just like having the option of getting out after a certain amount of time. I'd hate to be stuck in the car I'm currently leasing.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Remember, leases are the easiest way to hide costs. Financing is simple amortization calculation, leases can be calculated a couple of different ways. Leases are basically nothing more tha interest on depreciation. Little known fact....residual values can be negotiated a well as all other factors. Leasing more than 3 years old be discouraged and you certainly don’t want to roll any current lease balance rolled into your new lease. All deals should be laid out as 2 separate deals so you know what the trade in is and the new car deal is. once you roll the trade in and new sale together you can’t unravel what was done. Also understand the money factor which is different than interest rates. Never give up what you’re willing to pay per month, deal will work the calculation out by itself.

be careful and good luck in your quest.

OP
OP

Trandz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Want a JL
Remember, leases are the easiest way to hide costs. Financing is simple amortization calculation, leases can be calculated a couple of different ways. Leases are basically nothing more tha interest on depreciation. Little known fact....residual values can be negotiated a well as all other factors. Leasing more than 3 years old be discouraged and you certainly don’t want to roll any current lease balance rolled into your new lease. All deals should be laid out as 2 separate deals so you know what the trade in is and the new car deal is. once you roll the trade in and new sale together you can’t unravel what was done. Also understand the money factor which is different than interest rates. Never give up what you’re willing to pay per month, deal will work the calculation out by itself.

be careful and good luck in your quest.
Oh absolutely. Soon as he started adding my lease amount to the cost of the car I was like "uh no sorry, thats not how that works...you don't just add my lease to the cost of the car so that you can attempt to charge me higher fees and tax".

Whenever anyone asks me what I want to pay a month I literally tell them $5. After they awkward chuckle, I say lets talk cost of the car.

Sponsored

BGNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I had a Tacoma with about 6 months left on the lease. I sold it on Vroom. I went to a couple of different dealerships in NJ. Most of them are terrible. I used Route 18 Jeep in East Brunswick. I was able to get a Willys with no money down for $450 a month lease. If you are interested in using my salesman message me. I was just there yesterday looking at a 2 door for my wife and he said he can still do the same deals. He said he can Jeeps from other dealers if you don’t see something you like.

OP
OP

Trandz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Want a JL
I had a Tacoma with about 6 months left on the lease. I sold it on Vroom. I went to a couple of different dealerships in NJ. Most of them are terrible. I used Route 18 Jeep in East Brunswick. I was able to get a Willys with no money down for $450 a month lease. If you are interested in using my salesman message me. I was just there yesterday looking at a 2 door for my wife and he said he can still do the same deals. He said he can Jeeps from other dealers if you don’t see something you like.
YES PLEASE! I nessaged you

NotEnufToys

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Laredo
Yes, I would like his name. What was total sticker if you don't mind me asking.

O)()()()()(O

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I’m also in NJ, I did my homework on pricing and through info here on the forum prior to purchase. Went to dealerships in Somerset and East Hanover, walked after I was given one too many lines of BS. Walked into my local dealership. Advised the the sales rep of my 2 prior experiences, told them this was my last local stop before I go down to Criswell in Maryland and make the purchase for (at least) 7% below invoice.

I told the rep I’d prefer to stay close and deal local but would make the trip to save hundreds, in this case several thousand. They worked up the build sheet and after a quick walk to the “sales manager” agreed on the price close to 6% below invoice. Total time from walking in the door to agreeing on the price was 15 minutes. This was 9/19 for an ordered JLUR 20.

Try a couple more locals and if they don’t pan out, take the trip to Criswell.

RKissane

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUW
I just pickup a Willy's from Franklin Sussex auto mall in Sussex NJ. I got a fair deal for these times. I got it below invoice but only because I new more about their stock and what was coming in than they did. Once I showed them what they had coming and on thier other dealer ships sites then they would deal below invoice. They have about 4 or 5 4L turbos coming in. I took one of the last 3.6 that they had at any of their dealers.

I did have an issue with financing where about $3,000 was added in by the sales manager that I did not know about. And the way they have you sign the paper work on this desk top touch screen, when zoomed in you don't get to see all of the page so I missed it and the finance person thought I already knew about the charges. To compound this they had provided the contracts on a thumb drive and the thumb drive did not work. Once I got thumb drive replaced and seen the contracts, I find these added items I was not aware of. I was fit to be tied. I went to the deal ship loaded for bear and when I met the Finance person and explained my issue about the extra charges and before I even got a chance to lay in to them, he said I can fix that no problem I just have to call the bank and we will sign a new contract. So it took more trips back and forth to the dealership but they took care of the problem. I was affaid they were going to say too bad you already signed but they took care of it without any issue.

I had one other dealer tell me that they were only selling at MSRP on the Willy's because they can not keep them on the lot. When I question this, he made the comment well he wasn't up sell above MSRP, the salesman I was dealing with just shook his head. The salesman understood how ridiculous this was. The day I visited this dealer, a woman had just purchased the one I was interested in, just because of the looks of the Willy's. I also knew they had another one in transit that I liked the color of but they did not want to move on price so I walked.
Sponsored