emgeesea

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Vehicle Showcase
Hi, Emgeesea. I'm DeeGee. I just purchased a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Black & Tan Limited Edition model in White & Tan. My vehicle didn't come with the Alpine system. Thank you for the information about purchasing individual parts for a build, from PacParts. After looking at the components, I wanted to know how you connected the brackets to the amplifier for installation. Are there holes on the bottom of the amplifier to allow one to connect the brackets for installation? Also, would the screws need to be purchased separately or does screws come with the brackets? Thanks.
Hi DeeGee. I do not know for certain about the screw holes, or screws, since I purchased mine as a kit and the amp came mounted to the bracket, but I would assume that since the bracket is sold for the purpose of mounting the amp and sub it will come with the screws, and the amp and sub will have the holes.

Sorry I can not be more help. Perhaps PM eball, as I believe she purchased the parts from Pac and just did the installation.
Sponsored

Chris2183

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S (Sold) 2021 JLU Willys
Gentlemen, let me save you all the trouble, look up Alpine PWD-X5. Its a single unit with a 165 RMS 8' sub, a 4ch amp for the main speakers at 25 RMS, and a built in DSP to tune it all!!! Why am I the only one that knows about this unit!!! And its on sale for less than $500 right now! Im finally having mine installed Saturday! Gonna mount sub on side in rear and hope that does ok there, dont want it under seats. Also this comes with a 15ft prewired braided cable for easy hookup, just need to do the t harness at the headunit...maybe it will suck but it seems like a one stop shop unit for our base systems...
I did look at that unit back when it was $600 and after adding in the T-harness and the under-seat rack mount (I wanted mine under the seat) the cost was a wash so I went with the PSS-23WRA instead.

However at less than $500 I would have definitely given it more consideration.

DeeGee

First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Black & Tan, Limited Edition model, in White & Tan
Hi DeeGee. I do not know for certain about the screw holes, or screws, since I purchased mine as a kit and the amp came mounted to the bracket, but I would assume that since the bracket is sold for the purpose of mounting the amp and sub it will come with the screws, and the amp and sub will have the holes.

Sorry I can not be more help. Perhaps PM eball, as I believe she purchased the parts from Pac and just did the installation.
Okay, thank you for all of your help. I'll try and post my results when I get the system. Take care!

Tommy1569

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL unlimited sport s
Occupation
Delphi
Anyone know someone with Alpine ilx-w650?

Kungaloosh

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S Gator Orange
emgeesea - Thanks so much for the great post!! I love my Jeep but wish I went for the sound system upgrade. I'm not looking for fist pumping at the Jersey Shore bass, but it needs to be louder with the top and doors off. I've been watching the PSS-23WRA for months hoping for the price drop a few people have written about. I like the easy install and the fact that it's out of the way. With your tips I was able to get the parts from Pacparts and the rest from Amazon for under $850, so I jumped on it! Now just waiting for everything to arrive. Thanks to you and Varilux for the install and set up tips! I will let you know how it goes, can't wait to get it installed!!

Sponsored

jgdiablo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe - Turbo Blue
emgeesea - Thanks so much for the great post!! I love my Jeep but wish I went for the sound system upgrade. I'm not looking for fist pumping at the Jersey Shore bass, but it needs to be louder with the top and doors off. I've been watching the PSS-23WRA for months hoping for the price drop a few people have written about. I like the easy install and the fact that it's out of the way. With your tips I was able to get the parts from Pacparts and the rest from Amazon for under $850, so I jumped on it! Now just waiting for everything to arrive. Thanks to you and Varilux for the install and set up tips! I will let you know how it goes, can't wait to get it installed!!
I'm in NJ too and went through the 23WRA installation about a year ago. Great upgrade indeed!

Williamj

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1945 GPW, 2020 JL Sport
Hi, Emgeesea. I'm DeeGee. I just purchased a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Black & Tan Limited Edition model in White & Tan. My vehicle didn't come with the Alpine system. Thank you for the information about purchasing individual parts for a build, from PacParts. After looking at the components, I wanted to know how you connected the brackets to the amplifier for installation. Are there holes on the bottom of the amplifier to allow one to connect the brackets for installation? Also, would the screws need to be purchased separately or does screws come with the brackets? Thanks.
Hi Deegee,

I ordered everything from PacParts and am slowly working in the install. The sub comes with universal brackets but the screws included are too short for the JL specific brackets. Just started assembly today but will update with screw size once I get to the store.

Kungaloosh

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S Gator Orange
Installed last weekend and it sounds great! Just what I wanted, louder, and sounds great with the top off. Install was pretty easy, thanks for the tips emgeesea, and thanks Varilux for the settings, they are perfect. Took under 3 hours. Couple of minor problems with buying the parts separate. First, they don't give you the screws to attach the sub to the brackets, however the screws that come with the sub are the perfect size to attach the amp. Quick run to the store, #8 screws and washers, and was good to go. Second issue is the SPR-10TW tweeters sold this way are not set up for plug and play, at least I could not locate them ready to go. I did not want to cut the wiring in the jeep so I debated getting different plug and play tweeters, but since I had these already I found an alternative. I purchased Tweeter/Speaker Adapter Spacer Rings and Red Wolf Aftermarket Front Dash Tweeter Speaker Wiring Harnesses from Amazon for $31 so I could make them plug and play. I will follow up and let you know how that goes. Still all in for under $845, totally worth it! Thanks Again emgeesea for this post.

jgdiablo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe - Turbo Blue
For the hi-pass, I set the front channels- where the speakers are 4"- to 120Hz. This means the amp reduces the signal sent to the speaker for frequencies below 120Hz. For the rear channels- where the speakers are 6.5"- I set the hi-pass to 80Hz. On the sub, I set the low-pass to 120Hz (so frequencies below 120Hz are filtered from the smaller speakers, and frequencies above 120Hz are filtered from the subwoofer). After a couple days of fiddling, this seemed to be the best setting. I don't understand why Alpine would recommend turning the hi-pass filter off for the smaller speakers- that doesn't make sense.
d8111dc33b747e5db022cbed535696582eff9536.jpg

As far as the gain settings, I ended up with 9 o'clock for the front channel and about 10 o'clock for the rear channel. I should probably turn these down just a smidge, since I start to get distortion around 34 (I think the radio goes to 38 for volume), but I set the gains up to be optimal at my usual listening level (which is now 20). At 20, I am now thumping away when the top and doors are on and with the gains in this position 25-26 is quite enough when the doors and top are off.
5dbe57e14aa930c20cae13562bd833da5f375006.jpg
Just to confirm - you still have the factory knee and soundbar speakers, correct? I'm trying to confirm if I should be adjusting what I originally set from the installation manual. Based on other feedback, your configuration is optimal for the 'default' setup.

Sponsored

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
jgdiablo said:
Just to confirm - you still have the factory knee and soundbar speakers, correct? I'm trying to confirm if I should be adjusting what I originally set from the installation manual. Based on other feedback, your configuration is optimal for the 'default' setup.
At the time I posted that, I had factory knee panel speakers and 6.5" speakers in the soundbar. I have since replaced the knee panel speakers with 6.5" speakers as well, so I have four 6.5" speakers and the upgraded smaller top dash speakers.

I now have my KTP amp set to the 120hz filter for both front and back. I should note my powered subwoofer is now fed by the low signal feed from the head unit- if your sub is powered by the rear channels, you want to turn the filter to "OFF" for the rear. With 6.5" speakers front and back, the system was a bit bass heavy until I set the filters to 120hz. I set the crossover on my sub to 150hz and below, and now my system sounds really great.

So, filters set to 120hz for front and rear channels and a sub hooked to the low power feed from the head unit has been the winning combo for me.

ENadeau

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Varilux - thanks again for all the info.

Wondering if you still have the oem head-unit and if so, what you have your equalizer settings adjusted to?

I’m by no means an audiophile and am just looking for a good baseline to start at.

VitaminK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL and military HMMWV
I’m about to undergo this transformation as soon as the parts arrive

diggerdpilot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler 2 door, 2000 TJ 2 door, 2017 4 door Wrangler
So, I have been following this, and had an older Alpine 445 in my shop, without gain and filter adjustments. Will I regret it if I put this one in? I went ahead and ordered the T and main harnesses, and think I see how it all goes together, but don't have a sub yet. Question- the yellow 12V power hookup and ground, at the bottom of the main harness. Does that power the sub or the amp? And, is that designed to hook up under the console, behind the dash, or where? It looks like the rear end of the main harness has the speaker output, and what looks to be a plug for a sub? I am assuming that would go to the Alpine sub? I think I am good with running the harnesses, but don't know exactly what is plugging into what downstream. And, I am thinking I may as well just buy the sub now and jump all in at once? Sorry if this is simple, I just don't know what I don't know.
Thanks, Digger T.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
So, I have been following this, and had an older Alpine 445 in my shop, without gain and filter adjustments. Will I regret it if I put this one in? I went ahead and ordered the T and main harnesses, and think I see how it all goes together, but don't have a sub yet. Question- the yellow 12V power hookup and ground, at the bottom of the main harness. Does that power the sub or the amp? And, is that designed to hook up under the console, behind the dash, or where? It looks like the rear end of the main harness has the speaker output, and what looks to be a plug for a sub? I am assuming that would go to the Alpine sub? I think I am good with running the harnesses, but don't know exactly what is plugging into what downstream. And, I am thinking I may as well just buy the sub now and jump all in at once? Sorry if this is simple, I just don't know what I don't know.
Thanks, Digger T.
The yellow power cord and ground on the main harness will power the amp and sub if you use all Alpine.
you can see what I did here; https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/attachments/445-3-jpg.355638/ I put in a Kicker powered 10 inch sub and ran a 4 gauge wire for power,spliting it for the Sub's power and then runing a 12 gauge wire to the yellow power wire, on the harness.
So to keep it simple,run a power wire to the harness, and use the ground on the harness and it is good to go.
Sponsored