Sponsored

The Pentastar Loves to Wring its Filters Out!

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Ok everyone, got the word from Kevin at Lube Udder on BITOG. He was on the original Pentastar design team. I asked him about the filter twist and this was his response:

¨Sorry for the late note. Glad you LOVE the engine haha! Regarding the twist this has never been an issue. There was some concern with it initially during development nothing ever happened. Also, something keep in mind is it's removed state vs. under pressure/flow. Once it's got oil flowing through it and some pressure it'll change shape again. Regardless, it's fine.¨

So, I won´t be bothered by this again, Lol!
So you have an "in" at Mopar power train?? Does he still work there??
Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
So you have an "in" at Mopar power train?? Does he still work there??
Nope. We met him through another forum that focuses on oil (BITOG) and he commented on the 625k mile Pentastar video. He now works for or co-owns a company making an oil change product called Oil-Udder. Nobody is 100% certain, but he seems to know some things about the engine and its development that stacks up. I've PM'd him several times, peppered him with many questions, and am now convinced he was indeed a mechanical engineer at FCA. My father was an engineer for GM, and this guy had detailed knowledge of things I knew from my Dad's experience. I've not seen one tiny thing that gives me any doubt.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Nope. We met him through another forum that focuses on oil (BITOG) and he commented on the 625k mile Pentastar video. He now works for or co-owns a company making an oil change product called Oil-Udder. Nobody is 100% certain, but he seems to know some things about the engine and its development that stacks up. I've PM'd him several times, peppered him with many questions, and am now convinced he was indeed a mechanical engineer at FCA. My father was an engineer for GM, and this guy had detailed knowledge of things I knew from my Dad's experience. I've not seen one tiny thing that gives me any doubt.
I met a guy thru one of the forums on Shelby Dodges who worked in Trenton engine. He designed the composite intake on the 2.4 turbo used in the PT GTs, gained about 20HP and 15 ft-lbs Tq vs the aluminum manifolds they used on the first 2 years. He left after the Dumbler purge and I think landed at Cummins, lost touch with him on the forums. Had a lot of info on the 2.2/2.5 engines as well as the 2.4.

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
I tended to think it did since the filters that I had with ends that freely rotated did not twist like the ones with fixed ends. However, I could be wrong about that and will have to take a closer look on my next OC.
NAPA Gold are generally very good filters and I've used them in other vehicles. I picked up a NAPA filter for my Wrangler yesterday, figuring it would be as good as an OEM filter. I was a little surprised to see it was made in China.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
NAPA Gold are generally very good filters and I've used them in other vehicles. I picked up a NAPA filter for my Wrangler yesterday, figuring it would be as good as an OEM filter. I was a little surprised to see it was made in China.
NAPA gold is just a WIX filter. I use the shitty proselect filters because they are in stock at work and cheap, no problems.

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
NAPA gold is just a WIX filter. I use the shitty proselect filters because they are in stock at work and cheap, no problems.
Yes, I know NAPA Gold is made by WIX.

I was at Walmart earlier today and looked at all the 3.6L filters I could. Mopar, Fram, M1 and Supertech.

Fram and M1 were made in China. I could not find the country of manufacture on the Mopar filter. Only the Supertech filter was made in USA. It was also the cheapest at less than $3. The rest of them ran $9-$10. Go figure.

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
I have 28k miles on my 3.6 JLU and I've used OEM Mopar and Mobil1 oil filters and none have ever come out twisted... I change every 5k miles but I don't think that would matter. Weird... Wonder how many experience your twist and how many come out straight same as the go in like mine?

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I know NAPA Gold is made by WIX.

I was at Walmart earlier today and looked at all the 3.6L filters I could. Mopar, Fram, M1 and Supertech.

Fram and M1 were made in China. I could not find the country of manufacture on the Mopar filter. Only the Supertech filter was made in USA. It was also the cheapest at less than $3. The rest of them ran $9-$10. Go figure.
Last time I looked at a Mopar filter it was at WM and it stated COO as US.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have 28k miles on my 3.6 JLU and I've used OEM Mopar and Mobil1 oil filters and none have ever come out twisted... I change every 5k miles but I don't think that would matter. Weird... Wonder how many experience your twist and how many come out straight same as the go in like mine?
The Pentastar engineer said the twisting is 100% normal and not a concern. I'd almost think there is a problem if there is no twist at all. Are you tightening your cap to spec? Maybe yours is just perfect and everything fits just right?

I know the used oily analyses I've had done show good filtration. So I'm taking his advice and have decided not to worry about it. Just a Pentastar quirk.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I've done about 6 or 7 oil changes so far on my 3.6 that has about 36,600 miles on it.
I have used both Mobil 1 and Mopar oil filters.

So far, I have not had a removed filter that was twisted, distorted, torn, shredded, etc..

When I install the filter, I place some oil on the little oil ring on the one end of the oil filter. I do that along with placing oi,l on the large o-ring that is placed on the cap itself.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've done about 6 or 7 oil changes so far on my 3.6 that has about 36,600 miles on it.
I have used both Mobil 1 and Mopar oil filters.

So far, I have not had a removed filter that was twisted, distorted, torn, shredded, etc..

When I install the filter, I place some oil on the little oil ring on the one end of the oil filter. I do that along with placing oi,l on the large o-ring that is placed on the cap itself.
I do the same. They still do the twist. Weird. The only Mopar i ran was the original and it was only in there for 2k miles. It was twisted. The one M1 I ran was twisted worse than the Fram Ultras. So far, the Frams twist the least in mine, but they still twist.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I do the same. They still do the twist. Weird. The only Mopar i ran was the original and it was only in there for 2k miles. It was twisted. The one M1 I ran was twisted worse than the Fram Ultras. So far, the Frams twist the least in mine, but they still twist.
@DanW

I hear ya... I'm not saying they can't / don't / won't twist...... Just have not seen that, in regard to my JL, yet... yet... :LOL:
Sponsored